Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

Old 07-06-2013, 17:01   #1
Mr Banana

Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

Wouldn't be surprised if VM, BT etc follow suite

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834022
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2013, 17:05   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Sky looking at up to 10% price increases in September

I ditched pay-TV years ago and have never looked back. In fact my eyes water at the very thought of paying that much a month just for telly. You surely can't watch enough TV in a day to get value out of that sort of payment.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 17:24   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if VM, BT etc follow suite

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834022
Absolutely inevitable.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I ditched pay-TV years ago and have never looked back. In fact my eyes water at the very thought of paying that much a month just for telly. You surely can't watch enough TV in a day to get value out of that sort of payment.
l suppose it depends on what way you look at Chris as some people spend quite a amount on alcohol and tobacco and other things so some people who don't spend their money on that obviously see premium TV as reasonably good value each month.
Old 07-06-2013, 17:31   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Actually I suspect people are generally fooled by the sales pitch employed by all the pay-TV operators, over many years, which sells 'value' based on the quantity available, rather than the actual amount any one household can consume.

We woke up and made that calculation years ago and were astonished at how much one episode of Stargate SG1 was costing us. We cancelled shortly thereafter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:55   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

If it's going up we'll probably ditch it at the end of our contract and go back to freeview!
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 21:12   #6
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Same here Planning to go freeview
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 21:28   #7
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
If it's going up we'll probably ditch it at the end of our contract and go back to freeview!
A rise above inflation usually gets you out of a contract I believe
Old 07-06-2013, 21:39   #8
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age

contracts up this month anyway think i will cancel and get one of the 1 month rolling bb deals for a bit to see if anyone offers a really good deal or we miss something too much lol
Old 07-06-2013, 22:21   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
A rise above inflation usually gets you out of a contract I believe
Depends what the contract is for - generally it gets you out of the bit of the contract that has the rise
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14   #10
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Ouch, up to 10% is a sore one. Not sure how it'll impact me being on a 50% off deal however my contract is up in December anyway.

I'll be keeping a close eye on deals from BT and Virgin over the next 6 months. Suddenly BT broadband, with free BT Sports, becomes more appealing than before.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 14:35   #11
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

not interested in sports but there are a few series that we like to watch but the savings would make buying box sets a winner
Old 08-06-2013, 18:04   #12
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Of course any increases will also be added to virgin customers
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 22:56   #13
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

If its really 10% and VM reflect that in our prices then its good bye to the movies and sport and hello to increased media centre usage and a large increase in my newsgroup subscription usage.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 00:15   #14
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
If its really 10% and VM reflect that in our prices then its good bye to the movies and sport and hello to increased media centre usage and a large increase in my newsgroup subscription usage.
Whilst I'm on a 50% off deal with SKY, this runs out in December. I'm already thinking about my options. Do I drop SKY Sports? Do I drop SKY Movies? Do I drop SKY HD? Do I drop multiroom? Do I drop them all? Do I return to Virgin with the first 6 months half price?

The price of TV, broadband and telephone is getting ridiculous. I can see the VIP package, and SKY's equivalent, costing about £130.00 per month within the next 24 months, if recent price increases are anything to go by. £1560 per year is a lot of money. At this rate it's going to become cheaper to go out than what it is to stay in and enjoy the telly!
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:19   #15
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Well the sports/movies increases will be passed to virgin. So VIP will cost nearly £120. if BT sport is offered it could cost OVER £130
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote