Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | If I already have a Sky dish do Sky change it for a new one at install?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

If I already have a Sky dish do Sky change it for a new one at install?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10   #1
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age
If I already have a Sky dish do Sky change it for a new one at install?

As above really. I have a dish and wiring into my reception room from previous owner (I own my house). If I sign up for Sky are they obliged to actually replace my equipment with new equipment?

Thanks.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27   #2
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: If I already have a Sky dish do Sky change it for a new one at instal?

Depends how old the dish is, the engineer may replace it, they may not
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:56   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just state that you don't want the dish touched .. If it's a new install then you have the right to have a new dish installed and the original one left in situe
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
As above really. I have a dish and wiring into my reception room from previous owner (I own my house). If I sign up for Sky are they obliged to actually replace my equipment with new equipment?

Thanks.
I thought you'd said months ago that you had switched to Sky , only the other day you were ordering TIVO I'm

To answer your question Sky used my existing dish and cabling because the signal was spot on.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 22:13   #5
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I thought you'd said months ago that you had switched to Sky , only the other day you were ordering TIVO I'm

To answer your question Sky used my existing dish and cabling because the signal was spot on.
I cancelled VM tv in April but didn't get Sky after I moved. I used Freeview via PS3 for a while then never got around getting Sky. I then got Tivo and cancelled due to SD pic.

I'm happy witth Freeview but fed up of the terrible PVR's so just for the sake of a better PVR I re ordered Tivo earlier this week but the order was not processed so currently I'm going through a complaint with VM. But the eventual package I have been offered is more expensive than Sky (they won't offer me the discount for XL tv so my BB L and XL tv + Tivo would be £50+). As I only have 10meg BB I think moving all my services to Sky makes more sense now as Sky Anytime is a great new feature.

PS: thank you everyone for the replies. I don't think the dish or wiring really needs replacing so I'm happy for the engineer to not replace.
Old 01-10-2011, 22:19   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

don't sky customers take ownership of the dish and boxes and so are responsible for repairs should they develope a fault and if that is the case i would get new equipment so you are responsible for a new dish
Old 02-10-2011, 00:27   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I cancelled VM tv in April but didn't get Sky after I moved. I used Freeview via PS3 for a while then never got around getting Sky. I then got Tivo and cancelled due to SD pic.

I'm happy witth Freeview but fed up of the terrible PVR's so just for the sake of a better PVR I re ordered Tivo earlier this week but the order was not processed so currently I'm going through a complaint with VM. But the eventual package I have been offered is more expensive than Sky (they won't offer me the discount for XL tv so my BB L and XL tv + Tivo would be £50+). As I only have 10meg BB I think moving all my services to Sky makes more sense now as Sky Anytime is a great new feature.

PS: thank you everyone for the replies. I don't think the dish or wiring really needs replacing so I'm happy for the engineer to not replace.
I have all my services with Sky and defo don't regret it , I'm just in the process of my VM BB and phone being cancelled.
Old 02-10-2011, 13:21   #8
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
don't sky customers take ownership of the dish and boxes and so are responsible for repairs should they develope a fault and if that is the case i would get new equipment so you are responsible for a new dish
That its correct. I'm doing as Kymmy mentioned and adding a second dish without having the first one touched.

Quote:
I have all my services with Sky and defo don't regret it , I'm just in the process of my VM BB and phone being cancelled.
Unfortunately I can't get the full bundle as I am in contract for BB until May 12. But they are offering me £25 full entertainment pack, £10.25 HD pack and £20 Sky Sports pack - total = £55.25 per month. Every channel I watch is then available in HD so I asked for 1tb box. The lady said she is happy to give me the box for the same upfront price as a Tivo 1tb which is £100. Then I can add phone and BB for £20 a month later on.

VM wanted £33 for XL tv and £22.50 for SS pack so its the same price as what Sky give but without HD pack so its a no brainer. After having V+ for 18 months I thought I could never go back to not having at least two tuners just for recording and a dedicated additional tuner for live tv but its not really worth the difference in cost.
Old 02-10-2011, 13:54   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
That its correct. I'm doing as Kymmy mentioned and adding a second dish without having the first one touched.

Unfortunately I can't get the full bundle as I am in contract for BB until May 12. But they are offering me £25 full entertainment pack, £10.25 HD pack and £20 Sky Sports pack - total = £55.25 per month. Every channel I watch is then available in HD so I asked for 1tb box. The lady said she is happy to give me the box for the same upfront price as a Tivo 1tb which is £100. Then I can add phone and BB for £20 a month later on.

VM wanted £33 for XL tv and £22.50 for SS pack so its the same price as what Sky give but without HD pack so its a no brainer. After having V+ for 18 months I thought I could never go back to not having at least two tuners just for recording and a dedicated additional tuner for live tv but its not really worth the difference in cost.
The Sky 1TB box will record 240 hrs of HD in comparison to TIVOs 120 hrs so you should have no storage issues http://www.sky.com/shop/boxes/1TB

As for your dilemma re only having two tuners , if you have a Android phone , iPhone , iPod touch , iPad download the Sky+ app find your show and it will normally give dates when it's re-run , or you could use the following off the epg http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...ack-icons.html

When using the search off the EPG it tends to return your desired programme when typing one keyword so for instance Strike Back Project Dawn just type Strike it will then return results if there's a series stack icon this means it has multiple showings.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:41   #10
LexDiamond
Inactive

Thanks for the info, Muppetman.

I'm getting an Iphone this month so will get the app. All the channels I watch have their shows repeated to death anyway (as do all the channels I don't watch I would imagine) so shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 14:59   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Muppetman.

I'm getting an Iphone this month so will get the app. All the channels I watch have their shows repeated to death anyway (as do all the channels I don't watch I would imagine) so shouldn't be a problem.
I agree most key shows are repeated on numerous occasions , the Sky+ app just helps you locate them other showings. There are a few more features in the pipeline for it , click the link in Malcolm M's post
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Welcome-...ng/td-p/175223
Old 03-10-2011, 17:24   #12
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
I agree most key shows are repeated on numerous occasions , the Sky+ app just helps you locate them other showings. There are a few more features in the pipeline for it , click the link in Malcolm M's post
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Welcome-...ng/td-p/175223
Never thought I'd be joining a Sky forum
Old 03-10-2011, 17:32   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Never thought I'd be joining a Sky forum
LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31   #14
LexDiamond
Inactive

Was hoping someone could help me a query I have before my instal.

My current dish feeds into the main reception room and is twin LNB which I use with Freesat. If I get a second dish installed which goes into my bedroom and then get the Sky+HD box installed there, can I then just swap my freesat and Sky+HD box around from upstairs to downstairs?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:56   #15
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Was hoping someone could help me a query I have before my instal.

My current dish feeds into the main reception room and is twin LNB which I use with Freesat. If I get a second dish installed which goes into my bedroom and then get the Sky+HD box installed there, can I then just swap my freesat and Sky+HD box around from upstairs to downstairs?
Yes you should , but remember the Sky+HD needs to be connected to your landline for the first 12 months. The installer will more than likely fit a quad LNB to your new dish giving you two free inputs.