Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How can I use a Sky+ Hard drive in pc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How can I use a Sky+ Hard drive in pc

Old 26-06-2007, 18:43   #1
Ferret141
Inactive

Ferret141 is an unknown quantity at this point
How can I use a Sky+ Hard drive in pc

Well the story is a friend of mine has Sky+ and wanted to expand his capacity so he buys a 250GB drive which is already formatted or whatever to work in a Sky+ box from some dodgy guys who offered to install it but I offered to do it for him for free, they were going to charge him shed loads for an in and out job. Well anyway once I installed it and check it was working with his Sky+ box. So at the end he said I could have the old 40GB Maxtor D540X-4K that was in his box.

Well anyway I originally thought it was just a regular NTFS format (which I found it isn't till I cam here) so I plunked it in my pc and it wasn't being picked up.
So that is my predicament. I would like to use it in my PC as opposed to what most people here want to do and use a PC hard-drive in their Sky+ boxes
Ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2007, 18:49   #2
zing_deleted

Re: How can I use a Sky+ Hard drive in pc

right click my comp select manage and disk management. The drive should be seen there as unknown partition just delete the partitions and create a new one (be sure its the right one )

Old 26-06-2007, 20:17   #3
christopherw
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BBC iPlayer, Be* ADSL2+ (September 2006 - September 2007), VM XL 20Mb (July 2007 onwards)
christopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about themchristopherw has a spectacular aura about them

The reason it doesn't initially show up is because the SkyDigital box encrypts the entire volume so you can't just drag and drop the MPEG files off it As zingle said, reformatting the entire volume will solve it.
christopherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 21:09   #4
Ferret141
Inactive

Thanks alot for replying but I thought of that and tried looking at it in disk management but I couldn't find anything as unknown or similar. Might be my bios is a bit lame, it's an ASrock board so figuires. I'll try it in another pc of mine
Old 26-06-2007, 21:40   #5
zing_deleted

well the 40 gig one that was in my original sky+ plus box got sold with xp on it so its possible lol try booting from windows cd and delete the partition there
Old 27-06-2007, 07:10   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Does it actually see the drive in the BIOS when you boot up?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 08:12   #7
Ferret141
Inactive

That's the thing. It doesn't so I'm guessing my friend manhandled the drive or the AMI bios is swag. Haven't tried it in another pc yet due to me being busy
Old 27-06-2007, 09:04   #8
zing_deleted

jumper setting?
Old 27-06-2007, 19:02   #9
Ferret141
Inactive

Cable Select. It was on the slave channel as well. I'll try on CS and Slave when I get round to testing it in another PC.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:43   #10
lincsat
Inactive

lincsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Try it with Master or Slave, tend to work better than Cable select. You can go to the Maxtor website and download their Dos utilities and boot the PC from that - you will then get the option to re-format and setup the disc from there.
lincsat is offline   Reply With Quote