Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

Old 25-11-2008, 21:23   #1
SRF
Inactive

SRF is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

My Sky+ Box will not turn on. I have spoken to Sky and they are suggesting that an engineer should come to my house, but that costs £65! There must be a way to fix it without resorting to that! Could you please give me any suggestions! Even suggestions of what I can say to Sky in response. Thank you very much! x
SRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2008, 06:19   #2
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky+ Box stuck on standby! Please Help!

Genuine first response from technical support: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Otherwise, have you switched it off at the mains for a minute or so and switched it back on? Have you made sure all the cables are connected up properly? Does the remote not work? Are there fresh batteries in the remote? Is there a clear line of sight from the remote to the box? Have you tried the power button on the Sky+ box? If all these responses lead you to this last point, you'd need to call technical support, who will most likely go through what I've said, but may also have a few suggestions of their own.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 07:33   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

How old is the box and are you out of the 12 month contract yet? If so try telling them you refuse to pay the £65 and will take your money elsewhere. Unless the agent is having a bad day you stand a god chance of getting the engineer for free.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 10:47   #4
SRF
Inactive

SRF is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the box in Nov 2006. I'm going to try calling Sky again. Thanks for your advice.

I have already tried all those things...and called a technician. They made me reboot the box by turning it off by the mains, and whilst holding down the back up button turn it back on. That hasn't worked. The box has worked completely fine for 2 years...and then it just refused to turn on one morning.
SRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57   #5
BiggerDavey
Inactive

BiggerDavey is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone still having this problem? Have a solution, so post here if you need it.
BiggerDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 20:08   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerDavey View Post
Is anyone still having this problem? Have a solution, so post here if you need it.
Post anyway, even if the OP has solved it others might encounter the problem
Old 03-10-2010, 23:23   #7
darren smith
Inactive

darren smith is an unknown quantity at this point

did anyone solve this problem? i can not get my box out of standby mode at all, tried everything, left it of for half the day, spoken to sky and gone through there suggsetions but nothing!! i have seen hard drives for sale on ebay would this work?
darren smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:16   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

It may not be the drive and it may actually be the power supply.
Old 06-10-2010, 00:31   #9
Corpy

Services: Virgin XXL50mb , SKY+HD3D ,LG 50"HD 1080, Speakers B&W 803s 7.1,Pioneer SUSANO Amp, Satio-Orange,

Hi !! This happen to me on my old sky + box as same day i had a 2nd hd one fitted !

They said it just needed a hard reset and they pressed lots of buttons lol ! I dont know what they were but it worked ! But you will loose every program you have on the sky+/HD box ! thats the only down side
Old 06-10-2010, 07:16   #10
Paul K
Inactive

A hard reset only works for planner or software corruptions, unfortunately some models are known to suffer failed power supplies which mean that the only way to get them working is to get the supply replaced.