Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 17-01-2017, 09:20   #2686
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

If you need to output a signal elsewhere, as other people have mentioned the only option is via a HDMI Splitter and a HDMI to SCART or RCA convertor.

Such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/iSolem-1080.../dp/B006KZBC92

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Con...=hdmi+to+scart

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Comp...omponent&psc=1

The key thing is that the Tivo will have to be set to output the correct signal via the 'test' option.
I don't have my v6 and Slingbox hooked up to a 4K TV, but I'd think you can't have 2160p as an output option on the Tivo.
I know by default the Tivo outputs 1080p at 60hz and I had to down it to 30hz as Slingbox doesn't support 60hz.

Yes the V6 doesn't have a scart socket, but really it's not the end of the world
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2017, 11:35   #2687
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Word of warning with HDMI splitters guys from my personal experience.

They split the picture fine but be careful with sound, especially for those with Amps. You can either have 5.1 OR stereo to both TVs, you cannot mix the two, all splitters just work that way.

The work around is to set to stereo and use optical out for 5.1 between the TiVo and the Amp. This is why I was beyond annoyed that VM took a year to reactivate the optical out socket they broke after a software update in 2015.

Worth considering for those that are looking to go down the splitter route
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 12:44   #2688
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
So from your post we take from that

1. The box has a functional (electrically and connection wise) Scart socket

You seem to be suggesting that the Scart will work elsewhere in europe? hence the decision to cripple it in the UK was a *deliberate* one.

I guess the countries where scart is still prominent, it will be enabled, other countries, where HDMI has become the standard, won't.

But you're aiming your vitriol in the wrong place; it is content providers who are pushing to eradicate scart outputs, to prevent (in their mind) piracy.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 14:27   #2689
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Similar problem myself (rugby rather than tennis)

Suggestions are

1) getting an old TiVo box and sending it over wifi then scart to DVD.

2) getting a hdmi cable which splits output into scart and hdmi.

This problem was one of the reasons I didn't want SkyQ which has same problem.
Cheers for the ideas!

My HDD recorder only has HDMI Output, which is pretty standard from what I can see.

I've decided to buy a HDMI to scart converter and see If i can go:-

From the TIVO Box HDMI OUT into the converter --- scart OUT into to my HDD player Scart IN and see what im recording via the HDD HDMI output to the telly.

We'll see if that works and I'll just rig it up when i need to....If it doesn't I'll probably give the V6 a miss.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandmarkuk View Post

The key thing is that the Tivo will have to be set to output the correct signal via the 'test' option.

Is that a setting in the V6 Menu?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 20:05   #2690
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

This evening, I tried to watch a recording from my upstairs box while in the lounge. However, I couldn't access the recording, and a V401 message is displayed. I then went upstairs - the programme played fine on that box.

The same happens when I try to watch a programme from the box in the lounge from the bedroom.

Does anyone know what a V401 error message means? Was something perhaps not connected correctly by the installer and is this something I can put right myself?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 21:33   #2691
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Does anyone know what a V401 error message means? Was something perhaps not connected correctly by the installer and is this something I can put right myself?
I think it's insufficient network bandwidth. Are one or both boxes on Wi-Fi?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 21:39   #2692
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I think it's insufficient network bandwidth. Are one or both boxes on Wi-Fi?
Both of them are on wi-fi. What can I do to increase my network bandwith, spiderplant? I'm on 200MB.
Old 17-01-2017, 21:54   #2693
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Both of them are on wi-fi. What can I do to increase my network bandwith, spiderplant? I'm on 200MB.
powerline adaptars might help you can get ones with wifi extenders on. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers...erline+adapter
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 22:01   #2694
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Why are both on WiFi, isn't one close to the hub?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 22:07   #2695
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I run my downstairs Tivo over wifi but using the 5GHz band. It wont run very well over powerlines at all. Are there many wifi networks close to you which could give you problems if they and yours are used heavily.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 22:19   #2696
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Why are both on WiFi, isn't one close to the hub?
The hub is in an adjoining bedroom. They are pretty solid walls, having been built in the 1950s, so maybe the signal isn't getting through at sufficient strength.

Clearly, I will need to call Customer Services to get this sorted out!
Old 17-01-2017, 22:29   #2697
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
The hub is in an adjoining bedroom. They are pretty solid walls, having been built in the 1950s, so maybe the signal isn't getting through at sufficient strength.

Clearly, I will need to call Customer Services to get this sorted out!
Maybe not, what hub are you using, if a 2ac please check they are both connected to 5G
Old 17-01-2017, 23:46   #2698
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Maybe not, what hub are you using, if a 2ac please check they are both connected to 5G
Sorry, I don't know which hub it is - there is no identification on the hub itself. However, the engineer installed it and so I assume it's a superhub 3.

As for checking whether both are connected to 5G, I wouldn't have a clue how to do that!

I think I will have to ask CS to sort this out as it's beyond me!

Thank you all for your help, though!
Old 18-01-2017, 02:29   #2699
OhReally

Quote:
Get a decent router?

I have the TP-Link Archer, current connection speed 292 mbps or about 6x faster than my VM internet connection.

How much do you need?
Old 18-01-2017, 08:45   #2700
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Get a decent router?

I have the TP-Link Archer, current connection speed 292 mbps or about 6x faster than my VM internet connection.

How much do you need?
This is virgins responsibility. They could give you homeplugs