Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upping security on router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upping security on router

Old 29-06-2009, 19:51   #1
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice
Upping security on router

I'm currently on WPA-PSK which was preset on my Netgear WGR614v9.
Can I change to a higher level by just changing the security option?
Would it make it more complicated to log on - will it store a password?
Would it actually make a difference though?
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2009, 19:59   #2
Pushkar
Inactive

Pushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nicePushkar is just really nice
Re: Upping security on router

The basic 'upper' security from WPA would be WPA2-PSK, it would be the same sort of login, just a little more complex to crack.
Pushkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 20:04   #3
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

One of the best things to do to improve security is make your passphrase complex.
My passphrase or password is a complete sentence with spaces, apostrophes and full stops.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 20:11   #4
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

#2 Already on WPA-PSK
#3 So just up the complexity on the password then?
No need to go up a level or two on security?
Old 29-06-2009, 20:15   #5
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

I would say just up the complexity of the password, the amount of customers I've seen who use their fave football team or their dog's name as their password is scary. Even after I've pointed out that their neighbours will no doubt know this and if they guess it the neighbour will be using their broadband, they still do it
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 20:47   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
I would say just up the complexity of the password, the amount of customers I've seen who use their fave football team or their dog's name as their password is scary. Even after I've pointed out that their neighbours will no doubt know this and if they guess it the neighbour will be using their broadband, they still do it
Oh I have heard all those myself, calling it after their football team and star player all very obvious, or one kids name for the router and the other for the password, all crazy but true.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:04   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Actually best to not choose a pass'word' at all. Best bet is to go for a pass'phrase', or something made up from a passphrase.

You could (purely for example) take the first line of a song:

Code:
Shot through the heart and you're to blame, you gave love a bad name.
You've got upper case, lower case, and punctuation. Add to that the length of the thing and it's going to be near impossible to brute force, yet it's still simple enough that you can remember.

Failing that, you could develop it by logical and repeatable substitution, like this:

Code:
Shot through the heart and you're to blame, you gave love a bad name.
Stthaytbyglabn (remove punctuation, use first letters only)
$tt4&yt8y91@bn (now substitute letters for symbols/numbers)
Obviously your mileage with any of these techniques/suggestions will vary, and the effort you put into this sort of thing should always be balanced against the risk to your systems and the importance that you place upon protecting the data that they process/store.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:09   #8
smcaul
Inactive

Services: XL BB, Xl TV +Tivo, V+, VHD ,XL Phone, 1Gb Mobile BB, 3 x Virgin Mobiles
smcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nice

Or just do what half of my neighbours seem to do, use the name of their wife as their passwords!!! makes life very easy!!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:13   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiLZ View Post
The basic 'upper' security from WPA would be WPA2-PSK, it would be the same sort of login, just a little more complex to crack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
#2 Already on WPA-PSK
#3 So just up the complexity on the password then?
No need to go up a level or two on security?
WPA2-PSK is significantly more secure than WPA-PSK...

http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-80211i
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 21:15   #10
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

If everything supports it, moving up to WPA2-PSK is an extra step
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 22:32   #11
JoeBloggs
Inactive

JoeBloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Also disable 'Broadcast SSID'.

Use the 'Mac Address Filter' too.

Change the routers default gateway address.. IE from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.3.23
JoeBloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 16:25   #12
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Switching off Broadcast SSID really doesn't help and can hinder you adding new stuff to your network.

You can get completely random characters for setting the access phrase.
http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/.../generator.php generated
IPd5xfoB6Yd/gMAand\ey5Uj7xEOU5PnU\sGXWRc%\caGm/%E$X3+$l4o!S9%rw

If you really need to secure your wireless you can look at WPA2-Enterprise that uses different keys per user but that is likely to be beyond requirements and isn't so simple.
Old 01-07-2009, 17:09   #13
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
I'm currently on WPA-PSK which was preset on my Netgear WGR614v9.
Can I change to a higher level by just changing the security option?
Would it make it more complicated to log on - will it store a password?
Would it actually make a difference though?
sure you can as already said,"will it make a difference" again Yes, but not in the way you think....especially on the likes of the VM supplyed cutdown WGR614v9 with its mere 200Mhz CPU.

i notice that while everyones so concerned about their VERY local security, no ones mentioned the fact all the VM supplyed routers indeed most so called home wireless routers internal CPU's are VERY weak and slow today, the more security you ask them to perform, the slower your wireless router thoughput is likely to get....

are you really so concerned that mary ,pete,jason and june and the kids next door eather side, can IF they bothered to learn how, actually had the right wireless hardware, and required software, and actually go to the trouble of trying to potentially break even your common wep "Long passwords" that your ready to potentially slow your wireless router kit down to a far lower data rate throughput 24/7!

these people are probably so close to you anyway that they can hear you giving your other half the new password.

from that community perspective, you,mary ,pete,jason and june and the kids next door eather side, would be far better sharing your wireless LANs to WAN connections to better share the collective data throughput and storage costs for all etc.....
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 22:41   #14
moiraf100
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiLZ View Post
Oops, didn't see the '2' that slipped in after the WPA.
Probably think I'm a big ignoramus. ;-)

Thanks guys for the input.