Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream traffic management scrapped

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream traffic management scrapped

Old 17-06-2018, 07:44   #31
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: Upstream traffic management scrapped

Speeds aren't as important to me as they used to be and my uploads has never been hit by the STM but nice to see VM changing their rules
Old 17-06-2018, 21:46   #32
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

I have been on either the Gamer 200 or 300 meg package throughout my time so was never really affected by STM. That said it is a good thing, I hope they boost the upload on their top package to 35Mb at some point in the future.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 23:57   #33
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it is only unneccessary if they offer a speed which you cant really benefit from but I think these days most people will be pleasantly surprised. I like to get things downloaded asap even if it means my connection being idle 99% of the time and I love Steam purely for the speed when I get a new game. I would love to have 500mbits now just to see what Steam gives me.
I've found with some games that start to decompress the files as the download occurs that my CPU becomes the bottleneck. Maybe i'm due an upgrade
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 19:44   #34
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

back in 2014 I went from a dual core athlon which I had had for donkeys years (and was starting to become an issue) to an i7 and the difference was phenomenal. I won't pretend that I use it to its capacity now but on the odd occasion that I do you can see where it makes a difference. It just churns through stuff which you expect to takes ages and it is because it has 4 physical cores and 8 virtual.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:06   #35
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
back in 2014 I went from a dual core athlon which I had had for donkeys years (and was starting to become an issue) to an i7 and the difference was phenomenal. I won't pretend that I use it to its capacity now but on the odd occasion that I do you can see where it makes a difference. It just churns through stuff which you expect to takes ages and it is because it has 4 physical cores and 8 virtual.
Mines a i7-4770 so whilst 3+yrs old now it's not exactly a slouch.
Problem is upgrading it means going to DDR4 and 16GB isn't exactly cheap at the moment.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 23:12   #36
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Snap, although when i got mine it came with 16gb
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote