Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The Chronicles of Rishi
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2022, 19:19   #31
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 5,792
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2022, 19:52   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,219
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor
That would be stupid but I guess Sunak at least has experience in the role so might have something specific instead.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 21:38   #33
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,118
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

The website that deals with Tory member cancellations has crashed tonight.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:20   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,219
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:20   #35
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 67
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 42,090
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
We can all pick and choose lines, Hugh.



I'm not quite sure that an appropriate description for someone who has actually held one of the Great Offices of State - during the economic turmoil of the pandemic of all times. I can think of 750 million reasons not to think Sunak will be a good PM but relative inexperience (compared to who?) isn't one of them.
Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.
__________________
There is always light.
If only weíre brave enough to see it.
If only weíre brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:25   #36
Mick
Cable Forum Team
 
Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 15,118
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Will they care? They're not as dependent on individual members as the Labour Party is, they don't need their money.
They should, itís the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:31   #37
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 11,955
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
They should, itís the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.
I stopped assisting with local campaigns since 2017, but I've kept up my membership.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:37   #38
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,333
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Appropriate for someone who was appointed to be Johnson’s lapdog, when Javid resigned as Chancellor after refusing a demand from Johnson and Cummings that he dismiss his advisers.
This analysis conflates the circumstances of his appointment with his performance in the role and/or experience gained. The paradox being that he needs experience, but should delay stepping up so he only takes promotion on morally superior grounds? Under Johnson that's almost impossible.

Indeed if being appointed for circumstances other than doing Johnson's bidding would result in a very short tenure in any post. As Javid demonstrated. Twice.

I've no real interest in continuing a back and forth, as I say there's enough reasons to not like Rishi without adding this one to the list. The Tories need to draw a line under the past and to an extent that needs someone relatively new. I'd have preferred Penny to underline the past to move the party past Brexit to be an effective opposition to the next Labour government.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
They should, itís the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.
Fundamentally neither party gives a shit about the grass roots. Between the media and corporate interests there's enough money and influence around to keep the proletariat in check.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 22:45   #39
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,219
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
They should, itís the membership base which campaigns door to door. If you piss off the membership base, squander your election chances with zero help with campaigning.
Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 00:11   #40
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,229
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Iain Dale on LBC saying there is rumours of Jeremy Hunt be replaced as chancellor
Sky News saying Hunt will stay in position. Must be reassuring for the markets although Hunt was pretty much enacting Sunak's policies once he was appointed.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Maybe but again the Tories have never been a campaigning force on the ground. It's something they've tried to address with battle buses and so on but it's been difficult for them. They are usually more about the 'air war', i.e media campaigning.

Membership is more important for Labour as a higher % of their funding comes from them and they do depend on a lot of door-to-door campaigning.

It's one reason Labour are in trouble as they had two elections in three years which depleted funds and then lost a lot of members.
Labour have recovered a lot of membership recently
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...neral-election
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 00:51   #41
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,050
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Looking forward to all that money from the north being diverted down south to help us poor Londoners out. After splashing out £550m for Bond Street Crossrail Station we're rather skint!
Well, during his last campaign to be leader/PM Sunak did say that he'd reduce funding for poorer areas and give it to more affluent areas.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 00:52   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 36,915
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

https://order-order.com/2022/10/24/1...d-the-numbers/

He chose not to, after flying home. Why, is a matter of speculation.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 01:09   #43
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,333
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Amidst today’s excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

https://order-order.com/2022/10/24/1...d-the-numbers/

He chose not to, after flying home. Why, is a matter of speculation.
Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified ) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.

Last edited by jfman; 25-10-2022 at 01:20.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 07:30   #44
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,219
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Amidst todayís excitement, it seems to have passed largely unnoticed that the 1922 Committee confirmed Boris actually did have 100 nominations and could have forced a contest had he chosen to.

https://order-order.com/2022/10/24/1...d-the-numbers/

He chose not to, after flying home. Why, is a matter of speculation.
I guess to gave in to the pressure not to stand then? If he had a 102 then the prospect of scrapping though and winning the job with such little support actually did give him 2nd thoughts.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 08:30   #45
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 36,915
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rishi Sunak to become PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Guido.

So we are trusting the word of one person who spoke to another person? (a Boris supporter?- an 80% chance according to Guido for person 2, but only 20% for person one on anything independently verified ) that paperwork for a nomination entirely hypothetical actually existed.

Do they fax them in one by one?

The election of President Xi to his third term is objectively more transparent and more credible.
I appreciate this news demolishes your own pet theory, however Guido has put a named MP member on the record who in turn has named the 1922ís joint secretary. Thereís more than enough explicit finger-pointing there for, at the very least, an indignant tweet from those concerned, if itís untrue or inaccurate.

Donít take it personally. In the end all any of us is doing is speculation and educated guesswork, your personal prestige isnít on the line for guessing wrong.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:03.


Server: osmium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.