Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2020, 14:11   #4111
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Absolutely. Doesn't mean that we can't criticise promises v reality though.
Pity you have absolutely nothing positive to say, though.

Your constant criticisms and negative comments really do indicate to me that you have not accepted the result and you want the UK to fail.
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2020, 14:11   #4112
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Since when have the supermarkets been in league with the EU administration? Just because they say that doesn’t make it true.

Something spooked the negotiators, that is for sure.
Give me a convincing reason as to why the major supermarkets in Northern Ireland should put their names to such an important statement if they don't believe it to be correct.
Old 27-09-2020, 14:14   #4113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Give me a convincing reason as to why the major supermarkets in Northern Ireland should put their names to such an important statement if they don't believe it to be correct.
I don’t dispute that that’s genuinely how they see it. However, they are not party to all the EU’s thinking and their negotiating strategy.
Old 27-09-2020, 14:19   #4114
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
So where have the EU agreed, via the Joint Committee, that GB supermarkets can freely move goods to NI? The Joint Committee has yet to meet, after the issue was on a list of still unresolved matters.
Although the supermarkets could ship the goods anyway, the question remains as to what action the EU would take if they did.
Old 27-09-2020, 14:31   #4115
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Pity you have absolutely nothing positive to say, though.

Your constant criticisms and negative comments really do indicate to me that you have not accepted the result and you want the UK to fail.
If Labour or the LibDems came into power, it wouldn't stop you criticising them but it wouldn't mean you didn't accept the result.

I live and work in the UK. I'm not retired with a nice guaranteed pension insulating me from a bad deal. I need BoJo to pull his fingers out and get a great deal with the EU and indeed all the other countries that we trade with.

There are few if any positive things anyone is saying about Brexit right now. All the Leavers I know acknowledge the government is making a pig's ear of negotiations. Even your fellow Berkshire resident has expressed similar views.

My views on Brexit have been clear - I accept it but the government should have delayed the end of the WA as there was insufficient time to get a good deal with the EU and 150 other countries in place by the end of 2020.

When Coronavirus hit the UK, I said it was even more important to delay it so the government could focus on Coronavirus and not end up doing both things badly. You said it could do both and do them well. We've now got one of the worst global death rates, we've suffered the largest recession of all G7 economies, we have no deal yet with the EU and with precious few of the other 150 countries and Scotland wants to leeave the UK. And trading on WTO terms is not yet agreed and is no mere formality.

It's not a great state of affairs, Old Boy.
Old 27-09-2020, 14:57   #4116
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
If Labour or the LibDems came into power, it wouldn't stop you criticising them but it wouldn't mean you didn't accept the result.

I live and work in the UK. I'm not retired with a nice guaranteed pension insulating me from a bad deal. I need BoJo to pull his fingers out and get a great deal with the EU and indeed all the other countries that we trade with.

There are few if any positive things anyone is saying about Brexit right now. All the Leavers I know acknowledge the government is making a pig's ear of negotiations. Even your fellow Berkshire resident has expressed similar views.

My views on Brexit have been clear - I accept it but the government should have delayed the end of the WA as there was insufficient time to get a good deal with the EU and 150 other countries in place by the end of 2020.

When Coronavirus hit the UK, I said it was even more important to delay it so the government could focus on Coronavirus and not end up doing both things badly. You said it could do both and do them well. We've now got one of the worst global death rates, we've suffered the largest recession of all G7 economies, we have no deal yet with the EU and with precious few of the other 150 countries and Scotland wants to leeave the UK. And trading on WTO terms is not yet agreed and is no mere formality.

It's not a great state of affairs, Old Boy.
That's nonsense, the SNP want to leave the UK, more fool them.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:04   #4117
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Also worth mentioning why we will need lorry parks. Even if we sign a deal, there will be still be time-consuming customs checks.

The only things preventing this have been ruled out by the UK government, namely:
- Being in the internal market: the customs union removes tariff barriers
- Being in the single market which removes non-tariff barriers.
Ruled out by the British people. Got it?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:31   #4118
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Ruled out by the British people. Got it?
Source?

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That's nonsense, the SNP want to leave the UK, more fool them.
Sadly not nonsense - polls show consistently about 53%-55% in favour.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
So where have the EU agreed, via the Joint Committee, that GB supermarkets can freely move goods to NI? The Joint Committee has yet to meet, after the issue was on a list of still unresolved matters.
Although the supermarkets could ship the goods anyway, the question remains as to what action the EU would take if they did.
If Sainsbury's, Lidl, Asda etc are convinced about something so important then I am happy to take their word without conducting days of research to try and prove the point.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:39   #4119
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Source?

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Sadly not nonsense - polls show consistently about 53%-55% in favour.

---------- Post added at 15:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

If Sainsbury's, Lidl, Asda etc are convinced about something so important then I am happy to take their word without conducting days of research to try and prove the point.

How often are polls accurate? You can only say for definite that the majority of people in Scotland want to leave the UK after a proper vote, and a poll that shows 53% v 55% isn't very convincing imo.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:47   #4120
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I guess we can make that assessment in January. Clearly, you don’t think that we will get a tariff-free trade deal, and you have been negative about the whole Brexit project from the off. You have also been wrong. Just a short while to go now and remainders can see how wrong they have been.
The key person wrong on Brexit is your goodself via the fantasy trade deals you were promising us, starting with the US in pole position.

I hope and expect we get a free trade deal but that doesn't mean the end of customs checks and delays unfortunately.

I've heard BoJo will take another of his famous "Surrender Strolls" as he did with Leo Varadkar before signing the Withdrawal Agreement. This will see him agree to pretty much everything asked of him by the EU but he will fool his ever-diminishing fanbase that he's got a great deal.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
How often are polls accurate? You can only say for definite that the majority of people in Scotland want to leave the UK after a proper vote, and a poll that shows 53% v 55% isn't very convincing imo.
We shoudn't delude ourselves about polls when they give us inconvenient results. The Brexit vote shows that no referendum win for the status quo can be taken for granted. The performance of the current government with its Brexit negotiations and in tackling Covid 19 makes it no advert for the benefits of the Union.

Scottish independence is a serious threat to the UK and I hope we have a convincing narrative in place for the Union if a referendum happens. But that's another thread.
Old 27-09-2020, 15:55   #4121
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Source?
You silly billy you. One referendum, one general election, get Brexit done slogan, leave means leave ......

And before you say ‘nobody voted for x or y’ just accept that the majority of voters wanted to be fee of EU domination.

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

Quote:
<snip>

I've heard BoJo will take another of his famous "Surrender Strolls" as he did with Leo Varadkar before signing the Withdrawal Agreement. This will see him agree to pretty much everything asked of him by the EU but he will fool his ever-diminishing fanbase that he's got a great deal.

(Snip)
Au contraire. He got the 4 year Stormont concession. That was good enough for me.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-09-2020, 20:41   #4122
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You silly billy you. One referendum, one general election, get Brexit done slogan, leave means leave ......

And before you say ‘nobody voted for x or y’ just accept that the majority of voters wanted to be fee of EU domination.
Seph, mate, it's not your usual style to denigrate fellow forum members. The public was promised the following:

Quote:
Vote Leave “There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it… Britain will have access to the Single Market after we vote leave… The idea that our trade will suffer because we stop imposing terrible rules such as the Clinical Trial Directive is silly.”
So, people voted for a campaign that promised there would be a deal.

If we don't get one, BoJo will be defying the will of the people.

Quote:
Au contraire. He got the 4 year Stormont concession. That was good enough for me.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I fear you're easily pleased.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Some slightly positive news.
Quote:

EU and UK negotiators are set for showdown Brexit talks this week as they seek to build on tentative signs of progress which have raised hopes that a trade deal may be possible.

Teams will meet on Tuesday for three days of talks at the European Commission's headquarters in Brussels, with a month remaining until what EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier has said is the “realistic deadline” for a deal, if it is to be ratified in time for the end of Britain's transition period on January 1...

The tunnel, also described by Mr Barnier as “submarine” talks, could run from the week of October 4 until an EU summit on October 15-16, a date seen as the moment when leaders such as France’s Emmanuel Macron and Germany's Angela Merkel will assess the state of the negotiations.
https://www.ft.com/content/1270ea8d-...0-798ebceaae2d
Old 27-09-2020, 21:32   #4123
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
So, people voted for a campaign that promised there would be a deal.
I thought we’d seen the back of people telling leave voters why they voted the way they did.

I know what I voted for and I know where I sourced my background information thanks. I don’t need to be told (wrongly) what I thought would happen.

This was not a party election, it was a referendum, and despite the status afforded the biggest campaign group on either side, there was no manifesto produced by either of them. Personally I think the British public is a sufficiently sophisticated electorate to understand the difference between an election manifesto and the possible futures debated in a referendum where, on polling day, the actual question is extremely simple.

I voted to answer a question, I did not vote for any campaign.
Old 27-09-2020, 22:00   #4124
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I thought we’d seen the back of people telling leave voters why they voted the way they did.

I know what I voted for and I know where I sourced my background information thanks. I don’t need to be told (wrongly) what I thought would happen.

This was not a party election, it was a referendum, and despite the status afforded the biggest campaign group on either side, there was no manifesto produced by either of them. Personally I think the British public is a sufficiently sophisticated electorate to understand the difference between an election manifesto and the possible futures debated in a referendum where, on polling day, the actual question is extremely simple.

I voted to answer a question, I did not vote for any campaign.
Fair point - perhaps I should have phrased it more precisely "So, people voted in the context of a campaign that promised there would be a deal." would be my rephrasing.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 27-09-2020 at 22:19.
Old 27-09-2020, 22:30   #4125
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Fair point - perhaps I should have phrased it more precisely "So, people voted in the context of a campaign that promised there would be a deal." would be my rephrasing.
Or perhaps you should stop trying to be a smart jackass.
Closed Thread