Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2021, 12:11   #151
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 36,812
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Ahh yes ISDN - It Still Does Nothing.
Strangely enough, itís what the BBC use for a lot of itís footie outside broadcasting voice links - they are in the process of replacing the existing 128Kb ISDN links from football stadiums with 5G links - the ISDN links have been in place since the early 80s. The BBC sweats its assets, and doesnít replace stuff because something "shiny" comes on stream.
__________________
There is always light.
If only weíre brave enough to see it.
If only weíre brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2021, 15:06   #152
ash45
cf.member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Services: M500
Posts: 18
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strangely enough, itís what the BBC use for a lot of itís footie outside broadcasting voice links - they are in the process of replacing the existing 128Kb ISDN links from football stadiums with 5G links - the ISDN links have been in place since the early 80s. The BBC sweats its assets, and doesnít replace stuff because something "shiny" comes on stream.
that could be their new motto for the licence fee lol we aint replacing it just coz something shiny has come called streaming lol
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 16:59   #153
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 36,812
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

apparently they have plans for something called "BBC iPlayer" coming out soon...
__________________
There is always light.
If only weíre brave enough to see it.
If only weíre brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 18:20   #154
carbon60
Needs more upload
 
carbon60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
Posts: 156
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

One of the advantages that ISDN still has is guaranteed bandwidth. You don't want to risk the radio commentary dropping at a crucial moment.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:07   #155
gimpymoo
cf.addict
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nottingham
Age: 43
Posts: 118
gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Currently NOT a VM customer, Is it worth signing up to M500 now and "upgrading" to 1GB at what will surely be a rip off price as I would be "in contract" or wait... till maybe who knows when for the 1GB to be offered in my area (Nottingham) to new customers.

I guess nobody has a rollout plan so to speak to give some idea?

I just know their "existing customer" price will be eye watering.

VM have a monopoly on "fast" fibre, yes, I know they spent the money building the infrastructure and deserve the rewards from that but if they are not careful, the discussion of them allowing access to their network to other providers is going to become louder.

Thanks.
Thanks for all the replys guys.

VM were waiving the £35 activation so I bit the bullet on the "500/600" service for £46 a month.

18 Month contract though
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 20:38   #156
Broken Hope
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 152
Broken Hope has disabled reputation
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Currently NOT a VM customer, Is it worth signing up to M500 now and "upgrading" to 1GB at what will surely be a rip off price as I would be "in contract" or wait... till maybe who knows when for the 1GB to be offered in my area (Nottingham) to new customers.

I guess nobody has a rollout plan so to speak to give some idea?

I just know their "existing customer" price will be eye watering.

VM have a monopoly on "fast" fibre, yes, I know they spent the money building the infrastructure and deserve the rewards from that but if they are not careful, the discussion of them allowing access to their network to other providers is going to become louder.

Thanks.
I know parts of NG8 are getting city fibre installed, so Virgin won't have the monopoly for long at least in parts of Nottingham.

Looks to be targeting the whole of Nottingham

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityf...ransformation/

£48 for a 900/900 connection seems good.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast

Last edited by Broken Hope; 01-03-2021 at 20:47.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 20:51   #157
rtho782
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 196
rtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
I know parts of NG8 are getting city fibre installed, so Virgin won't have the monopoly for long at least in parts of Nottingham.

Looks to be targeting the whole of Nottingham

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityf...ransformation/

£48 for a 900/900 connection seems good.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast
Other providers (e.g. Zen) are doing 900/900 (actually 1000/1000, but ofcom rules) for £40 on CityFibre.

VM want whole UK pricing, so as we've seen in areas with other FTTP providers up to now, they will happily sit buy with their massive prices and lose market share in those areas there is competition, rather than do regional pricing or local discounts or whatever.

For me, VM are a horrible company to deal with in terms of support or customer services, I stand more chance of getting a fault resolved posting about it on these forums and hoping someone that happens to work for VM picks it up in their spare time an deals with it, than I am to get any help from them through official channels. That combined with horrible pricing, with too many "new customer offers" that then expire, forcing you to go through constant negotiations, or termination and resubscription etc, mean that as soon as CF reach me I will be far far away from VM and can't quite conceive of a reason anyone would come to any other decision, other than inertia.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 21:49   #158
gimpymoo
cf.addict
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nottingham
Age: 43
Posts: 118
gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Other providers (e.g. Zen) are doing 900/900 (actually 1000/1000, but ofcom rules) for £40 on CityFibre.

VM want whole UK pricing, so as we've seen in areas with other FTTP providers up to now, they will happily sit buy with their massive prices and lose market share in those areas there is competition, rather than do regional pricing or local discounts or whatever.

For me, VM are a horrible company to deal with in terms of support or customer services, I stand more chance of getting a fault resolved posting about it on these forums and hoping someone that happens to work for VM picks it up in their spare time an deals with it, than I am to get any help from them through official channels. That combined with horrible pricing, with too many "new customer offers" that then expire, forcing you to go through constant negotiations, or termination and resubscription etc, mean that as soon as CF reach me I will be far far away from VM and can't quite conceive of a reason anyone would come to any other decision, other than inertia.
Fully agree with everything you say.

They need to embrace regional pricing.

I cancelled in Feb after they wanted to increase my £37 350Mb "introductory price" to £57. RIP OFF.

Resigned up when they removed the "activation fee" for a "limited time" and got what will be 600Mb for £46 a month which is fine for me.

I will be happy with that for the 18 months as although they are breaking ground near me, I am not in that area and although BT say FTTP is "coming"... nothing moving on that front anyway so 18 months will be about right I think.

The biggest gripe for me is upload speeds, for a "premium" product, their top tier upload speeds have always been garbage.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 23:17   #159
rtho782
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 196
rtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Fully agree with everything you say.

They need to embrace regional pricing.

I cancelled in Feb after they wanted to increase my £37 350Mb "introductory price" to £57. RIP OFF.

Resigned up when they removed the "activation fee" for a "limited time" and got what will be 600Mb for £46 a month which is fine for me.

I will be happy with that for the 18 months as although they are breaking ground near me, I am not in that area and although BT say FTTP is "coming"... nothing moving on that front anyway so 18 months will be about right I think.

The biggest gripe for me is upload speeds, for a "premium" product, their top tier upload speeds have always been garbage.
Yeah, the price increase this year was just an insult. I was paying £34/m for 350m and a 5GB sim, they wanted to increase by £3.50, so over 10%. In the disagreement over that, they terminated my sim 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to get the number back. I'm also still paying for a SIM I can't use. It is due to go to £55 in April.

Zen offer 1 gig both up and down on Cityfibre for £40 with a lifetime price promise, I'll never have to renegotiate again. Even if VM get Gig1 to me, it will be for over 50% more, with random price rises, and a paltry 55mbit upload.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:50   #160
deakin
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 231
deakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enoughdeakin will become famous soon enough
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Just found out today that Hyperoptic has pre-installed the new estate where we are due to move into within the next few months.
So i checked out their website and found i can get 1Gb(900/900) with a unlimited calls to uk landlines for £20.00pm cheaper than i
currently pay from Virgin.But it gets better. Spoke to one of hyperoptic's reps. They waved the activation fee and offered us three
months of free service AND a no price increase guarantee for 12 months.


Sorry Virgin but it's time to part ways.
deakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:05   #161
bbxxl
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 189
bbxxl is on a distinguished roadbbxxl is on a distinguished road
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

It’s alright for people who live in the very limited areas where other companies offer high speed broadband, but for the vast majority of people, Virgin is the only option. Some people can’t even get Virgin.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:50   #162
gimpymoo
cf.addict
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nottingham
Age: 43
Posts: 118
gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Itís alright for people who live in the very limited areas where other companies offer high speed broadband, but for the vast majority of people, Virgin is the only option. Some people canít even get Virgin.
That is the problem, they know they are the only player in town regarding "proper" internet in most cases and their prices now seem to be reflecting this.

Seems like Liberty Global are the ones to blame as prior to them coming in, I would suggest VM were far more competitive/aggressive with pricing.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:25   #163
rtho782
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 196
rtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about themrtho782 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Itís alright for people who live in the very limited areas where other companies offer high speed broadband, but for the vast majority of people, Virgin is the only option. Some people canít even get Virgin.
Totally agree, it also causes a complete lack of customer service. They don't care as they think it's unlikely you'll leave with no alternatives.

Honestly for me the CS is worse than the price. If Cityfibre wasn't coming shortly I'd be considering switching to Starlink right now, they are £89 a month but should be 300m by the end of the year.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 15:56   #164
InsaneNutter
cf.member
 
InsaneNutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
Posts: 94
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
I know parts of NG8 are getting city fibre installed, so Virgin won't have the monopoly for long at least in parts of Nottingham.

Looks to be targeting the whole of Nottingham

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityf...ransformation/

£48 for a 900/900 connection seems good.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast
"with works projected to be largely completed by December 2025"

You might well be waiting another half decade based on how long the rollout is taking in other areas. Granted I can't wait for them to be live in my local area, just frustrating the street was dug up over a year ago and all we have to show for it is ducting tied to lamp posts and telegraph poles.

I shouldn't complain though, its certainly better than no progress at all! It will be good for Virgin to have some real competition.
__________________
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:56   #165
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek
 
Tricky Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nottingham
Age: 64
Services: Ultimate Oomph,Virgin 360 Still waiting for Sky Sports UHD!!
Posts: 678
Tricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant futureTricky Trevor has a brilliant future
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

I will look into that when I'm out of contract
__________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.
Tricky Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:09.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.