Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

Old 20-11-2016, 22:08   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Digital Spy may be closed or downsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It was very successful when James owned it.

I know that factors like the increased use of social networking sites have played a part, but it does seem to have been badly run since being sold.

By this I mean intrusive ads, click bait, a focus on showbiz/celebrity rubbish, bizarre and inconsistent moderating decisions eg someone was suspended for using the term "blacklegs" to describe a group of people breaking a strike. Apparently, this was 'racist' because one of them was of mixed race!!!
The problem with someone buying it is, the money they have tied up in it needs to pay back somehow. Hence the pressure to increase traffic and get more clicks on more ads.

Back in the early days the DS forums were not so very different than here. DS obviously had a broader subject matter and appeal and grew larger than we did. But we have always been a privately owned site run because we just want to do it basically .... we advertise to cover costs but we have no investments to repay and no staff wages. So as social media has put old fashioned bulletin boards under pressure they have had further to fall and more to lose, and we have been able to sustain (modestly) lower visitor numbers without cutting back on what matters, namely your daily dose of forum banter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2016, 22:47   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The problem with someone buying it is, the money they have tied up in it needs to pay back somehow. Hence the pressure to increase traffic and get more clicks on more ads.

Back in the early days the DS forums were not so very different than here. DS obviously had a broader subject matter and appeal and grew larger than we did. But we have always been a privately owned site run because we just want to do it basically .... we advertise to cover costs but we have no investments to repay and no staff wages. So as social media has put old fashioned bulletin boards under pressure they have had further to fall and more to lose, and we have been able to sustain (modestly) lower visitor numbers without cutting back on what matters, namely your daily dose of forum banter.
I think you're absolutely spot on there Chris.

I don't know why Hearst thought that transferring their frivolous subject matter from their paper magazines to a forum built primarily on an interest in technology and media would work.

In addition to all the aforementioned external pressures faced by CF and other forums, it has had to face competition from the launch of the VM Community Forums, yet has still survived.

I guess that this forum is also lucky in that Paul does the technical side of things, the DS search facility has been broken for yonks, they are aware of it, but there are no plans to fix it!

Surely it wouldn't cost that much; it's so unprofessional for a forum not to have such a basic thing as a search facility- there are duplicate threads all over the place.

If nobody reports them, they just get left because it's only reactively moderated.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 23:01   #18
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I'm sure James walked away moderately happy though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 00:37   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Oh yes, he (and the other owners) got paid "a significant amount" for it.

They built it up and then sold it on at about the right time.
Old 21-11-2016, 00:59   #20
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh yes, he (and the other owners) got paid "a significant amount" for it.

They built it up and then sold it on at about the right time.
And now is perhaps the right time for it to close.

The old adade applies the same here as to any other business. It's easy to lose customers but a damn sight harder to get them back again.

They've lost users who now get their info elsewhere.
Old 21-11-2016, 03:09   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
If it's true that bandwidth is eaten up by people retrieving threads, I think that they should focus on cutting costs by closing pointless/childish threads such as the count to a million thread!!!
Bandwidth is really quite cheap - and you can spread the load across multiple web servers. You can get a 1 TB VPS to run as a web server for < £100 per year. Storage (for the database) is really just as cheap as well. The cost of a thread like you mention would be little more than pence per year.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 13:29   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Bandwidth is really quite cheap - and you can spread the load across multiple web servers. You can get a 1 TB VPS to run as a web server for < £100 per year. Storage (for the database) is really just as cheap as well. The cost of a thread like you mention would be little more than pence per year.
Oh right, I didn't realise that it was this cheap to run a forum.

Maybe the savings will be made from staff wages ie the moderators that are still paid, journalists etc.

I have a friend who hosts a website in his cellar! It's really warm and he has to have a dehumidifier on 24/7.

I'm thinking of hosting a server myself:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2#post35871262

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 23-11-2016 at 13:40.
Old 23-11-2016, 13:33   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

And you'll see the quality of the site deteriorate further and lose more users.
Old 23-11-2016, 13:41   #24
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Agreed. I also think that I was being kind in giving them the title of "journalists"!
Old 24-11-2016, 17:30   #25
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well, it looks like the main problem is that the adverts became so intrusive that most users installed an ad blocker out of necessity.

Something is putting people off as the site gets 17.30m visitors a month, but they only stay on average for 1 minute 41 seconds.

69% of visitors bounce straight back off again, of those that stay, they only read 2.22 pages before leaving.

Some members are thinking of setting up their own forum, but I think that they think it to be a lot easier than it will be.

I'm sure there's more to running a forum that getting some free hosting and appointing a few mods as they appear to think!

If it's true that bandwidth is eaten up by people retrieving threads, I think that they should focus on cutting costs by closing pointless/childish threads such as the count to a million thread!!!
As Paul says, extra threads (no matter how pointless) don't add much to the cost of running the site.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the statement about advertising. I don't mind advertising on a site (I understand they have costs, and they have every right to make a profit), but the advertising on DS has gone from a mild diversion to a massive pain. For a long time, I couldn't even access the site from my iPad as the full screen ad they insisted on displaying on the main page frequently crashed safari.

I think they can survive, but they need to make the advertising less intrusive. They also need to drop the animated gifs, which make the site look a little like a flashy geocities site from the 90s.

I'd like to see the comments on the articles come back, but they disappeared around the time of the Tulisa court case, and while they were apparently disabled for maintenance, I don't think they will come back.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 14:07   #26
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

DS is currently unavailable due to updating its software.

The forums due to be cut seem to relate to gaming.

There is going to be a ban and terminated account amnesty.

Anyone who wishes to have their ban reviewed can send an email to forum@digitalspy.co.uk with 'Ban amnesty' or 'terminated account' as the subject heading.
Old 16-12-2016, 15:03   #27
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I would, but as I have a new account on there I don't want to cause trouble and get banned again. Although I suppose I could always ask for the new one to be shut down or something.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 15:05   #28
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Wow, are they really that desperate for members

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 15:29   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I would, but as I have a new account on there I don't want to cause trouble and get banned again. Although I suppose I could always ask for the new one to be shut down or something.
I think a lot of the banned people will have reregistered under another name or will be attempts at creating duplicate accounts.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Wow, are they really that desperate for members
There has been widespread criticism that people were inappropriately banned or that infractions were being issued to some people or even nothing at all for something that others had been permanently banned for.

There are still rumours going round the media world that they will be closing next year.

I personally think that they are trying to get their house in order and that this is the last chance saloon to sort things out before throwing in the towel.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/annou...php?f=22&a=397
Old 16-12-2016, 15:42   #30
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

2nd day down, if their 72 hours was accurate it should be backup tomorrow around 10:30am.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote