Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Utility companies - price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Utility companies - price rises

Old 17-10-2013, 12:24   #46
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
re: [MERGED] Utility companies - price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes they were not that good but look what we have now and that is a poor inconsistent postal service and postal rates for stamps and parcels rising through the roof as we posted something the other day and it cost us nearly £10 for a smallish parcel.
At least it gets there now
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2013, 12:30   #47
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes they were not that good but look what we have now and that is a poor inconsistent postal service and postal rates for stamps and parcels rising through the roof as we posted something the other day and it cost us nearly £10 for a smallish parcel.
Sorry Den do not agree. My post is a vast improvement on the 1970s. Prices would not have been far off current levels anyway...

And it was the telephone side of the business that was particularly dire as I was saying. BT are not by any means perfect but their service on most occasions works....more than the nationalised lot managed.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:37   #48
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age
Re: Bad news everyone SSE to raise energy prices aprox 8.2 %

Ed M is also completely ignoring the power station crisis which the Coalition is at least trying to do via various means such as today's deal with China.

Yes am ducking the nuclear debate as not sure one way or the other but a flat price freeze and no investment will cause more problems for us not less.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:44   #49
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
At least it gets there now
We have had quite a few items that have never arrived in the last few years so whether it is better now is very debatable what with the ever increasing sky high prices they are charging as well.
Old 17-10-2013, 13:13   #50
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
We have had quite a few items that have never arrived in the last few years so whether it is better now is very debatable what with the ever increasing sky high prices they are charging as well.
now that the company has been privatised i would expect to see some changes as competition forces improvements
Old 17-10-2013, 13:20   #51
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That was due to the government opening up the delivery business to all and of course the other companies went for the most profitable areas leaving Royal mail to continue the loss making ones.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 13:42   #52
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

In an astonishing display of awareness of social media British Gas decided to hold an open Q&A session on twitter on the day they announce huge price rises.

The #askBG hashtag is quite entertaining right now.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 13:54   #53
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Southern Railway is a vast vast improvement on the same area in BR days. The stations are clean tidy and staffed by polite decent people. Yes there are delays but it is a vast improvement on the BR times and more trains run especially in the evening.

Connex inbetween BR and Southern were pretty dire but then wow![
In the south east, toward the end, BR (South East Region) were actually pretty good. Then Connex took over, and it all went down hill massively. At one point, apparently according to their own figures, 75% of trains were late or cancelled, and they frequently run short trains in the rush hour.

Then they were essentially fired and replaced with the newly created South Eastern Trains who, in a couple of years, turned around those performance figures and improved the service massively.

They were replaced with South Eastern Railways. A private company that's doing a pretty good job of running the railways, but seems to be going down the run short trains route again.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:02   #54
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Some of them are funny.

Some people are paranoid. they think it's a conspiracy to kill off the old people.
many more will die as a result of the price rises. but it's a bit too much to think that's the idea.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:25   #55
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
They are not state owned companies, if the government were to try and cap prices they might just abandon the supply market and let the lights go out. Millipede's ill judged cap statement wiped over £1 billion off these companies and that came straight out of the pension funds.

Anyway join the club, we're with SSE and have already had the price hike (8.3%) that is coming to all the customers whoever you get your energy from. A big chunk of it comes from the carbon and green taxes that the last administration, Labour remember?, signed up for.

Some of your increase also pays for those in fuel poverty to get help.
Just think, if he didn't keep posting this stuff, we wouldn't get to expose it and people might forget just what the last lot got up to.

Decades of short-termism and failure to invest, by various governments, has led us to where we are and I for one wouldn't want to go back to that sort of state ownership.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:37   #56
Nidge41
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky TV, VM 100Meg Broadband
Nidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I said before all this started that it will have a knock on effect with everything.

people will cancel their TV licences, which will lose the BBC money.
people will cancel their Virgin/Sky packages which will lose Virgin and Sky money.
people will buy stolen property which is a crime increase due to demand.
people will buy duty free baccy and alcohol which is excellent.

everyone is out to get what they can out of the people. and they will be treading over each other to get whatever pennies the people have that they can take from them.

sit back and watch.
1. I've not had a TV licence for 25 years, I refuse to subscribe to Paedophile TV.
2. I'm already on the lowest package for TV.
3. I used to by ciggies from abroad up until last week when I packed up.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:
Click and collect is cheap as chips.
Nidge41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:02   #57
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge41 View Post
1. I've not had a TV licence for 25 years, I refuse to subscribe to Paedophile TV.
2. I'm already on the lowest package for TV.
3. I used to by ciggies from abroad up until last week when I packed up.
so presumably you knew all about the recent abuse scandals 25 yrs ago when you decided to "refuse to subscribe to paedophile tv" in which case why didn't you say something

and i bet yuou still watch at least 1 bbc channel
Old 17-10-2013, 15:03   #58
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
so presumably you knew all about the recent abuse scandals 25 yrs ago when you decided to "refuse to subscribe to paedophile tv" in which case why didn't you say something

and i bet yuou still watch at least 1 bbc channel

I could not afford a fine or the hassle if ever I was to get a knock otherwise I would not pay either
Old 17-10-2013, 15:06   #59
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge41 View Post

That's what all the people say to the TV licence gestapo men on youtube.

"No, you can't come in. I'm not letting a paedophile into my home!!"
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:11   #60
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
In an astonishing display of awareness of social media British Gas decided to hold an open Q&A session on twitter on the day they announce huge price rises.

The #askBG hashtag is quite entertaining right now.
Very entertaining! Just saw someone ask "who kills more pensioners, Shipman or BG?". Another asked why 347 million wasn't enough profit for them.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote