Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media prices are going up again...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Old 12-10-2017, 23:47   #166
rovert
Inactive

Services: Ex VM now P.O. BB & phone, Freeview.
rovert is on a distinguished roadrovert is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you are on the minimum phone, that's exactly what I have and before I complained, it was due to go up by £3.99.

If you spoke to the offshore call centre, i'd ignore anything that they said and do what I do and make sure that you speak to someone in the UK.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Was this the offshore call centre or in the UK (Re: my post above)?

I do find it odd that VM are prepared to lose long term customers like yourself, just as there's never been more competition for the services that they offer. Freeview & Freesat have never been better in terms of availability of free channels too.

This seems to have started since LG took over...

It appeared to be a UK call centre. All I was offered was a postponement of the £2.47 price rise for 6 months which was the same as I was offered 2 weeks ago. The expiry of a £3 discount was simply ignored.

I have recently heard of 2 households who have moved from Sky to Virgin suggesting they are making good offers to new customers. Perhaps it is time they looked after their existing loyal customers as well.

Last edited by rovert; 12-10-2017 at 23:54.
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2017, 02:06   #167
therock247uk
MVP

therock247uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got our letter through the post today price is going up nice to see there looking after customers who have been with them since the old NTL days (not).
therock247uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 20:16   #168
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So much for your free market economics as that would be classed as a cartel OB in what you are suggesting?.
No, I mean everyone on VM should be charged the same in relation to each individual package.

How is it fair that a loyal person who doesn't make a fuss gets charged more than people who are constantly wingeing and threatening to leave?

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sky tried to bring discounting to an end in early 2016, but had to abandon it.

It's better to retain/attract customers who can't or won't pay the full price and make less profit than losing them altogether, plus it costs VM less to discount and keep someone than processing the effects of churn.
Well, that might have been the case at first, but when discounting is done on an industrial scale, I think it would pay them to charge everyone the correct price. Not all of them will leave; most are just trying it on now.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-10-2017 at 20:20.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 21:03   #169
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, I mean everyone on VM should be charged the same in relation to each individual package.

How is it fair that a loyal person who doesn't make a fuss gets charged more than people who are constantly wingeing and threatening to leave?

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Well, that might have been the case at first, but when discounting is done on an industrial scale, I think it would pay them to charge everyone the correct price. Not all of them will leave; most are just trying it on now.
I don't think ringing up to request a cheaper price is "whingeing".
For example do you just accept the inflated price for your car insurance renewal quote or do you get them to price match or give you a discount.
VM should give everyone the same fair price, but like most companies VM charge as much as they think they can get away with and rely on the apathy of customers to get away with it.
If you can't be bothered to challenge them on this then you pay the price, quite literally.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 21:07   #170
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It's capitalism. Just as big companies barter with each other over contracts why shouldn't you?

By offering discounts they are actually reducing the price you pay overall. Someone paying a contribution towards the fixed costs on the network paying less is better than having that customer paying BT/whoever and taking their money elsewhere.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 23:34   #171
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

Another long term customer, with a nynex telephone socket still in place to prove it (pre 1999)... I called them with the intention of stripping my bundle back to just broadband only kissing farewell to Sky Sports, TV and phone line rental... they quoted 50MB only would be £33 per month.... yet to have an upgrade to 100MB, basic TV and Phone it would only be £7 extra a month at £40.. but I would have to enter in a new 12 month contract. I want to avoid this because I might be selling the house soon and moving on. I was quite surprised that initially I intended to cancel everything and he was ready to book the appointment to remove the equipment. There didn't seem to be any retention skills there. Like I said I still want to maintain the broadband here, so in the end just cancelled the Sky Sports. If I don't sell the house, I'll be looking for just broadband options. I can live with freeview TV only. As for the landline, it's now just an automated junk call receiver, that I long since pulled the line out of it's socket.
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 12:21   #172
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-Pod View Post
Another long term customer, with a nynex telephone socket still in place to prove it (pre 1999)... I called them with the intention of stripping my bundle back to just broadband only kissing farewell to Sky Sports, TV and phone line rental... they quoted 50MB only would be £33 per month.... yet to have an upgrade to 100MB, basic TV and Phone it would only be £7 extra a month at £40.. but I would have to enter in a new 12 month contract. I want to avoid this because I might be selling the house soon and moving on. I was quite surprised that initially I intended to cancel everything and he was ready to book the appointment to remove the equipment. There didn't seem to be any retention skills there. Like I said I still want to maintain the broadband here, so in the end just cancelled the Sky Sports. If I don't sell the house, I'll be looking for just broadband options. I can live with freeview TV only. As for the landline, it's now just an automated junk call receiver, that I long since pulled the line out of it's socket.
Sounds like he knew you were bluffing, hes doing exactly what he is paid for, to retain you paying the maximum price he could
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:15   #173
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Would it not be a good idea if you could switch entertainment providers just like changing energy companies... I wonder if this would be feasible.
Feasible? Yes, very much so. Some countries do this and it's basically nationalised broadband infrastructure.

Likely to happen any time soon? Probably not.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 18:40   #174
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Wow Virgin, just Wow.

I was paying £137 a month for the Big Daddy (500Mb Tivo and Samsung VHD+) Just phoned them -

Now back on the VIP Pack, 2 x V6, 300Mb, no activation fee and move one box to another room at no cost. Now paying £102 a month.

Thanks Virgin
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:08   #175
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Wow Virgin, just Wow.

I was paying £137 a month for the Big Daddy (500Mb Tivo and Samsung VHD+) Just phoned them -

Now back on the VIP Pack, 2 x V6, 300Mb, no activation fee and move one box to another room at no cost. Now paying £102 a month.

Thanks Virgin
New customers get it for £90... I am on £92.50 vip with only 200mbps broadband and that annoys me even now!

New customer only deals is quite unfair... won't even let me go to the limited edition full house sports bundle for £65 a month or even just give me 200->300mbps for free!!
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 18:47   #176
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I believe that its totally wrong where VM are various prices - New customers can get it cheaper, then loyal ones.
I spoke with a VM rep yesterday, and he said that he could give me a great deal on VM. And reduce my package by half in competition with Sky.

The deal would only last six months though when it goes up to a 'regular' price.

Its about time Sky, and VM realise that we are not a bottomless pocket of money.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 20:22   #177
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Too right Arthurgray... Just recently where I live I have noticed more SKY dishes going up. VM are loosing customers... Wake-up VM (aka Global Media) or fail.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:32   #178
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Too right Arthurgray... Just recently where I live I have noticed more SKY dishes going up. VM are loosing customers... Wake-up VM (aka Global Media) or fail.
They're committing accounting fraud. Is that what you're saying?
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:38   #179
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
New customers get it for £90... I am on £92.50 vip with only 200mbps broadband and that annoys me even now!

New customer only deals is quite unfair... won't even let me go to the limited edition full house sports bundle for £65 a month or even just give me 200->300mbps for free!!
You should get 300Mb for free if available as it's part of the VIP package.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:43   #180
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
They're committing accounting fraud. Is that what you're saying?
They are probably Ok at the moment but just wait and see what happens when the interest rates start going up.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote