Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you just bought?

Old 14-07-2022, 11:12   #5866
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you just bought?

There is an app that I use called Write on PDF. It let's you use the pen to write and scribble on PDFs.

The aspect does take some getting used to but it's great once you do. Video content usually looks great.

If the crashes are on the S2 then it's possible it's a combination of older apps or newer apps and the older version of the OS that's on the S2.
Old 15-07-2022, 11:13   #5867
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Shorts, Ankle Socks and car detailing bits and bobs for that black mirror finish.
Old 15-07-2022, 12:26   #5868
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

420mm Artic Freezer II AIO water cooler to see if I can get a bit more out of my old 9900K before it hits 100 degrees @ 5GHZ on Air (had to restrict its turbo to 4.3 so I did not have to worry about it) will see what I can get once I have given the thermal compound time to bed in
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 09:33   #5869
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
There is an app that I use called Write on PDF. It let's you use the pen to write and scribble on PDFs.

The aspect does take some getting used to but it's great once you do. Video content usually looks great.

If the crashes are on the S2 then it's possible it's a combination of older apps or newer apps and the older version of the OS that's on the S2.
Been trying various apps.
Samsung's own app is nice, has a scribble to text but save as file -> PDF -> change storage to SD -> crash.

WriteonPDF is a bit clunky especially opening a file as it seems just to list all the PDF's scattered all over the device. I can't browse to a single directory.

One terrible thing with the S8+ is the battery life is terrible. Yes the screen is a bit bigger than the S2 but the latter battery lasts much longer. I'm not running huge battery hog apps on either.
Old 18-07-2022, 09:53   #5870
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Tomato plant feed. As well as tomatoes, it's great for all flowering plants/veg. My pumpkins are swelling nicely (as the Actress said to the Bishop )
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 10:59   #5871
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A cake of 100 DVD disks for backups. I hadn't bought any for maybe 5 years.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 12:10   #5872
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A cake of 100 DVD disks for backups. I hadn't bought any for maybe 5 years.
they are quite expensive now aint the. I like the Maxwell -R used to be able to get 100 for about 15 quid but now they are like £13 for 50. I use them to burn special events for those in my congregation that do not do the internet
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 13:02   #5873
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
they are quite expensive now aint the. I like the Maxwell -R used to be able to get 100 for about 15 quid but now they are like £13 for 50. I use them to burn special events for those in my congregation that do not do the internet
I paid £20.49 for the pack of 100 Maxell, so just over 50p each. Some places are selling 50 for that price.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Tomato plant feed.
I bought loads of Doff Seaweed feed before it got trendy. Also many packs of Chempak Calcium nitrate before the company was bought by Thompson Morgan and the inevitable price hike.

I need the Calcium as most tomato feeds removed it a few years ago, and it's vital to prevent blossom end rot in tomatoes and chillies.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 14:47   #5874
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Been trying various apps.
Samsung's own app is nice, has a scribble to text but save as file -> PDF -> change storage to SD -> crash.

WriteonPDF is a bit clunky especially opening a file as it seems just to list all the PDF's scattered all over the device. I can't browse to a single directory.

One terrible thing with the S8+ is the battery life is terrible. Yes the screen is a bit bigger than the S2 but the latter battery lasts much longer. I'm not running huge battery hog apps on either.
At least you must find the 45w charger charges extremely quickly(make sure to use the provided cable otherwise you will likely not get 45w) It's a night and day difference on my Tab S7.

Have you tried setting your screen brightness to 1 3rd of max?

Last edited by SnoopZ; 18-07-2022 at 14:52.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 10:33   #5875
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Yes, noticed that. The cable provided with the tablet did fast charging, the one with the charger super fast. Shame as cable with tablet is much longer.

I have brightness way lower than that.

One other issue is the resolution is some games is very low so huge items on screen. On S2 I had an app to adjust the resolution for individual games but can't see that setting on S8. I still have to get the really crashy app moved over as need to get developers to copy over some of the achievements.

It is nice though to annotate PDF's and have all the information in one place though I do like to have paper copies too. I'll see how things work when classes resume.
Old 19-07-2022, 10:56   #5876
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Picked up a £10 smart IR/RF universal remote control thingy that attaches to the bottom of a shelf . It lets you use Google Home/Alexa or whatever to control anything that uses Infrared or Radio Frequency remotes.

Despite having a TV than can be turned on remotely by the LG app, its been a PITA getting it to automatically turn on without it. Spent hours trying stuff with HomeAssistant, WOL, CEC etc as workarounds but nothing worked reliably.

This little box solved all that so I can ask the smart speaker to turn the tv on/off and instead of talking to the LG assistant service, through Google (which takes time), the device just sends the IR code instantly as if the button on the remote was pressed. Added to routines I can now reliably turn the tv, surround speakers and lighting on with a quick voice command.

I actually took the 'tell LG *****' stuff out of the we are going to bed routine and added this device to power the tv off as its quicker and not vocal.

Defo worth a tenner!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 11:00   #5877
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Sounds like a good find - got a link, please?

(might try it with my Sony TV/Alexa combo)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 12:06   #5878
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Sounds like a good find - got a link, please?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_v6Hr88

Its from like the Chinese version of Amazon/Ebay so they take a few weeks to turn up but all instructions are in English and it was so simple to setup. I order quite a few gadgets from there and it was a lightning type deal but still only about £15 now.

You can find some on Ebay but they tend to be about £35+ and many of them ship from China anyway.
Old 19-07-2022, 12:15   #5879
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I have the Logitech's Harmony Hub version. Anything that has IR can be controlled by phones, iPads or Alexa etc. Comes with 2 small IR receivers so can position them where ever you want. Been great so far, and replaces worn out or lost controllers. Good for pausing/playing TV or changing channels without using a remote via Alexa.
Old 19-07-2022, 13:01   #5880
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

I had the Harmony One remote before but not the hub. The remote annoyed me because of the DRM it had which made configuring it under linux almost impossible. Even the web version wanted silverlight running in the browser. So I kept away from Logitech remotes after that.