Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

Old 27-01-2023, 12:09   #31
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them
Re: ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
As yes, the "average" Virgin Media punter

Asus RT-AX86U £250 to £300
Pixel 7 Pro £750 to £850
Xiaomi 12 £500+
True, I am not the average, but to be fair you didn't state the average punter
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2023, 15:45   #32
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorwood View Post
True, I am not the average, but to be fair you didn't state the average punter
It was assumed
Old 28-01-2023, 03:36   #33
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think the biggest benefit is posting speed test results on forums. Sod all else use. Once it got above 100mb no benefit for 99% of punters.

games consoles ??
steam??
multiples of both??
Windows updates??
nobody wants to waste their time waiting for downloads
on top of Netflix ,Amazon video,Disney +
if you are under 50 a very common in households

playing games while streaming music while watching iPlayer? (something I actually do)
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2023, 05:57   #34
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

8k HDR Pr0n also takes a lot of bandwidth esp. to stream a dozen movies at a time.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 11:53   #35
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

For me I cant justify a 2.5 or 10gbit lan. For whatever reason 2.5gbit just wont drop in price, at one point gigabit was the premium but now is almost as cheap as 100mbit, but those hardware keep their premium attached.

I do have a NAS but the reality is the throughput of the storage is not much faster than gigabit anyway so spending to upgrade my lan would maybe get me 1.3gbit instead of 1gbit lan throughput and I do find gigabit to be easily fast enough for my needs.

In terms of the 1.1gbit internet connection, the extra 100mbit? dont care really. It even acts as a form of QoS ensuring I will never ever fully utilise my downstream.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 19:26   #36
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

You can buy a good, branded USB 3.0 2.5Gb/s or same in M2 variant for £30-50 (Marvel & intel Chipsets).

And in reality, in a good area you get an extra 200-300Mb/s (Config File is +10%) and even if only and extra 100Mb/s on its own is still pretty fast for some people.

If you do not need or care so, be it but others do so I do not get why even bothering saying so (to anyone).

Last edited by humey; 30-01-2023 at 19:34.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 03:42   #37
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Thats too expensive. But thanks anyway.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:43   #38
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by humey View Post
You can buy a good, branded USB 3.0 2.5Gb/s or same in M2 variant for £30-50 (Marvel & intel Chipsets).

And in reality, in a good area you get an extra 200-300Mb/s (Config File is +10%) and even if only and extra 100Mb/s on its own is still pretty fast for some people.

If you do not need or care so, be it but others do so I do not get why even bothering saying so (to anyone).
It's not really the hardware to do 2.5gbit or 10gbit. It is the switch/routers that are expensive and are putting me off from doing it.
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 22:44   #39
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

VM probably need to deal with upstream speeds before the fibre altnets complete their push into urban areas. My DOCSIS 3.1 modulation has moved from QAM8 to QAM128; so something's afoot.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 13:48   #40
sevsman
cf.member

sevsman is on a distinguished roadsevsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
VM probably need to deal with upstream speeds before the fibre altnets complete their push into urban areas. My DOCSIS 3.1 modulation has moved from QAM8 to QAM128; so something's afoot.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I know that city fibre is live on the next town over from me and although BT have now released FTTP to my address I need to wait for the entire town to be done as city fibre only roll out whole towns in one go and not on a postcode by postcode basis.
Hopefully in the very near future I'll be able to get Giganet 900 symmetrical for less £ than either BT or virgin and I won't have to suffer their crippled upload speeds.

I use a rax200 and easily DL at 128MBs over WiFi with virgin gig1 but I also upload a lot to places like GitHub and the current UL speeds take up so much of my hobby time that it's almost painfull.
sevsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 18:12   #41
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Its planned, someone in the know has revealed.

However it wont be in all areas, Areas like mine with only 50MHZ return path will stay on 50mbit upload on gig1. 50mhz return path has no room for a 3.1 upstream channel and not even a 5th 3.0 channel.