Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is CR3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What is CR3

Old 01-07-2003, 16:20   #1
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Question What is CR3

Not wishing to sound too thick , I keep seeing the term CR3 used, here and elsewhere.

I assume it is an upgrade in software for the digital TV service, but what in fact is it supposed to do and what are the theoretical benefits to the consumer?

How do I know if I've got it?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2003, 16:40   #2
bigitup_j
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, TV and 20mb Broadband
bigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bigitup_j Send a message via Yahoo to bigitup_j
CR3 is a digital tv software.
the software provides liberate 1.2, to enable enhanced features such as multiscreening and play along games.
you know when you have it when everything is pink and purple, with only one bar (now&next) at the bottom. unlike the original area system, where there are two bars when you press browse.
bigitup_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 16:43   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Thanks
Old 02-07-2003, 12:13   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by MovedGoalPosts
Not wishing to sound too thick , I keep seeing the term CR3 used, here and elsewhere.

I assume it is an upgrade in software for the digital TV service, but what in fact is it supposed to do and what are the theoretical benefits to the consumer?

You're not thick, you just didn't know a certain piece of information ... asking questions is the best way to fix that! I asked that question once in another forum and a very helpful ntl techie gave me a lengthy response. In essence it goes something like this:

1. What 'CR3' means to you depends on whether you are on the original NTL network (sometimes called the 'Langley Platform') or the one they bought from Cable & Wireless, often known as the 'Bromley Platform'. Easiest way to establish which platform you are on is to look at your channel numbers. On Langley, BBC1 is channel 101; on Bromley it's just 1.

2. The designation 'CR' or 'Consumer Release' was originally used by C&W to denote each newer version of its Set Top Box (STB) software. CR1 was very basic; TV, programme guide and pay-per-view films. CR2 offered more functions and a nice blue programme guide; CR3, the most recent software update now in use on Bromley, allows all kinds of sexy stuff like overlaid graphics, multi-screen views etc etc and is a fetching magenta.

3. While C&W pursued a policy of major new software releases, NTL went more for gradual, continuous development. Thus it's difficult to compare directly the development of the two platforms. Nevertheless, NTL's current Langley software has become known as CR2, even though it is not the same as Bromley CR2.

4. In a similar vein, Langley users can expect their own version of CR3 some time later this year. If you believe ntl that is.

N.B. It's worth noting that while Bromley is now generally all-singing, all-dancing CR3, some parts of the Bromley network, notably in South London, are so old, flakey and generally pants that they can't cope with CR3. In these areas TV viewers are still stuck with CR1 and can't even get Broadband internet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:30   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Thanks for that very helpful.

It's clear i've got a version of CR3. Oddly, I preferred CR2. The program guide I now have only covers 3 days, wheras I used to have a week (If you go away for a few days and want to record programs changing channels now your stuffed). Equally the CR3 program info from the now and next bar often gives such a minimal description, cos there's not enough text space it can be worse than useless (film descriptions like "a man and his dog enter a restaurant which <sentence ends> is not untypical). The interactive may be an improvement - but I dont use it 'cos I have broadand. Never mind - that's progress for you!
Old 02-07-2003, 12:42   #6
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
Towny, you get an A+. An excellent summary. Go to the top of the class!

MovedGoalPosts, the last version of CR2 also had only three days worth of TV listings. They had to take it down from 7 because of the sheer amount of information which has to be sent out with all the channels available now. Not only would it take a long time for the STB to gather it all, but the limited RAM would cause a problem.

Still, just be glad you're not on Telewest -- they only get the current day...
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 13:10   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Tristan - I knew someone would give the explaination of why newer is worse.
Old 02-07-2003, 22:57   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Towny, you get an A+. An excellent summary. Go to the top of the class!
You have taught me well, o master
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50   #9
rippedoff
Permanently Banned

rippedoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by towny
N.B. It's worth noting that while Bromley is now generally all-singing, all-dancing CR3, some parts of the Bromley network, notably in South London, are so old, flakey and generally pants that they can't cope with CR3. In these areas TV viewers are still stuck with CR1 and can't even get Broadband internet.
Well..... am I glad..... someone seems to have taken note and actually made this point! Thank you and well done towny!

(although, my middle stb light is permanently on and steady, which, I thought meant a good return, and the strong possibility that my part of the Soth London network may be able to get CR£ / BB etc.)

rippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 13:03   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally posted by rippedoff
Well..... am I glad..... someone seems to have taken note and actually made this point! Thank you and well done towny!

(although, my middle stb light is permanently on and steady, which, I thought meant a good return, and the strong possibility that my part of the Soth London network may be able to get CR£ / BB etc.)

AFAIK the steady light does indeed mean you have a good return path, although I'd want to get an ntl techie person to confirm that ... I wonder whether the network is so universally bad down your neck of the woods as they are claiming and if there is some other reason why you've been left out so far.
Old 04-07-2003, 15:09   #11
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age
Yeah, a solid middle light means you have a return path. Unfortunately, while your connection would be able to handle CR3, they can't give it to you until everybody in your franchise is able to.

It's because of the way the software is sent out. They cannot select which customers get which software version; a build it put out, and everybody with that hardware type, on that headend, gets it. So even if 3/4s of the franchise has a return path (and I'm not suggesting the figure is anything like this high -- it's jsut a number I've plucked from the air), NTL aren't going to send out the software, as the other 25% will end up with broken boxes/no service, and NTL suddenly have a mountain of complaints.

However, there is a good possibility that you'll be able to get broadband, as this doesn't require everybody in your franchise to be able to get it...
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 15:24   #12
jemnery
Inactive

jemnery is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
. They had to take it down from 7 because of the sheer amount of information which has to be sent out with all the channels available now. Not only would it take a long time for the STB to gather it all, but the limited RAM would cause a problem.

Still, just be glad you're not on Telewest -- they only get the current day...
Then that's the wrong approach IMO. I used to have an old C&W analog cable box which would simply let you program channel changes for any channel and any date in the future.

The current software mixes and confuses the concept of an EPG with that of programming for recording. Why can't I still "manually" program my box for a date > 3 days ahead? I know what's on telly, even if the box doesn't.
jemnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 15:42   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally posted by jemnery
Why can't I still "manually" program my box for a date > 3 days ahead? I know what's on telly, even if the box doesn't.
Because you subscribe to ntl. Technology tortured.
Old 08-07-2003, 16:21   #14
BubbleGum
nthw.member

BubbleGum is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MovedGoalPosts
You'll be phoning ntl to complain that your settop box isn't working properly anymore
BubbleGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 17:13   #15
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluetack
You'll be phoning ntl to complain that your settop box isn't working properly anymore
That's why if I press the red button it all freezes and I have to reboot the whole STB.

PS thanks to the engineer who once showed me the STB's equivalent of the computers three fingered salute - stops me having to get at the wall socket which is totally inaccessible.