Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Solo: A Star Wars Story

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Old 06-06-2018, 09:03   #121
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

It's more like the costs, wasn't 80% reshot? plus 3? directors coming and going, It's probably easier to think of it as costing the same as two non problem beset films would have cost.

It's a flop, for those doubting, it's been like everywhere you look online, are they all wrong?

I know people like to cling to their franchises but this one needs a break possibly a retirement. The only thing half decent that came out in the last ten years was Rogue One and that too was reshot extensively.

Here's a thought, stop all the SJW bullshit 'The Force is Female' , get rid of Kathleen Kennedy and try again - in about 3 years.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2018, 10:22   #122
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It flopped in terms of money yes.

If they had stuck to the December 2018 date it might have done better.

They reshot about 70% of the film but Ron Howard said the script was never changed. Whereas Rogue One changed the full third act during reshoots.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22   #123
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It sounds to me as if the real problem has been dubious hiring decisions. If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.

I’ll say it again: I loved Solo, and I was delighted that they so obviously set it up for a sequel with the reveal at the end.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31   #124
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It sounds to me as if the real problem has been dubious hiring decisions. If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.

I’ll say it again: I loved Solo, and I was delighted that they so obviously set it up for a sequel with the reveal at the end.
Agreed
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:41   #125
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Here's a thought, stop all the SJW bullshit 'The Force is Female' , get rid of Kathleen Kennedy and try again - in about 3 years.
Of all the objections to the Star Wars films the idea casting a female lead is the weakest. Everytime a woman is given a top role people accuse films of 'SJW' agendas. Also the ones with Rey are not the films that have problems with production, reviews or commercial success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They reshot about 70% of the film but Ron Howard said the script was never changed. Whereas Rogue One changed the full third act during reshoots.
We'll never know what the actual problem with the original was since there was never a final cut of what the film would have been. It sounds like budgets spiralled out of control, the directors took too long to get their shots and were unclear on it and Disney seemed to freak out at what they were seeing.

The reshoots on Rogue One were objections to the ending. It wasn't as extensive a overhaul as what happened with Solo. A few reshoots is more common than reshooting so much of the film.

Disney probably do need to look at how they've managed to be unhappy at both of the non-Skywalker Star Wars films. Bizarrely it seems they give the director/writers on the main part of the franchise more freedom than they do the the 'spin-off' films.

Quote:
I would be surprised if they did a sequel considering the performance of this film. Especially since it's an easy timeline to ditch.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:45   #126
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I know people like to cling to their franchises but this one needs a break possibly a retirement.
I agree, they need to scrap the Bobba Fett film as well (and the Rian Johnson trilogy imho) and concentrate on quality over quantity and let GoT guys do their thing plus think of something else for the future. It isn't going to happen though because somebody will be thinking "one film per year = $10bn in merchandise". I would love to see a Yoda origin story trilogy which deals with the force and morals and all that stuff; true Star Warsness.

Quote:
If anyone needs kicking, it is someone higher up the food chain at Disney who doesn’t seem to know how to hire/brief a senior production team.
I disagree, Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy are supposed to have complete autonomy over the Star Wars franchise with no interference from Disney at all. If someone needs to go maybe it is Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasden or the casting director. Disney might get involved now but this is only one flop out of five so as far they are concerned it probably isn't an issue.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:37   #127
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

it may end up not being a commercial flop.

I know a few of you haven't enjoyed it, but all the real life people I know have, some people would have been put off seeing this one after Last Jedi, but when friends family etc tell them it's good will go and see it.

plus they know fully well, that the Blu Ray and DVD will sell by the bucket load, perhaps it will do better than anticipated, as I'd imagine the ppl more interested in this film, were the older fans, who are perhaps more likely to wait for home release, due to the cost of cinema.

(4 of my last 6 cinema visits have been Star Wars, the other 2 kids' films, years ago I'd go at least once a month!)
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:48   #128
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

When I refer to the SJW thing, I'm not referring to Rey per se, how about Admiral fcukwit Holdo, the 'feminist droid in Solo, the general 'man is bad, women is good' themes entering in the last few films, the last franchise that did that 'Ghostbusters' also flopped miserably, why is that?
We're all misogynist pigs?

Or perhaps we don't need that rammed down our faces all the time, Here's some examples of non SJW feminist friendly and palatable films.
Alien/Aliens, I'll toss in Terminator too for an added bonus.
Gasp, horror these came out in the 70's & 80's how progressive...

Fact of the matter is, people dislike continually being told they're something they're not.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 14:55   #129
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

L3-37 wasnt a feminist droid, she was a revolutionary droid, who wanted emancipation for droids, rather than them just being owned - it just happened to have a female voice.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 06-06-2018 at 15:12.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:12   #130
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Even if she was a feminist droid I wouldn't really see the issue. This is a world with all sorts of characters, of different species, different races and stuff. If talking droids, Yoda and evil guys who can shoot lasers out of their hands exist then I don't see feminists as a step too far.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:29   #131
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Old 25-09-2018, 20:56   #132
General Maximus
Ran Away

Old 25-09-2018, 21:59   #133
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Honest Trailers are always Awesome!
Old 06-10-2018, 15:01   #134
General Maximus
Ran Away

Old 06-10-2018, 15:13   #135
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

The honest trailers is better.