Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 01234567898 - Can I Block It?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

01234567898 - Can I Block It?

Old 11-04-2011, 15:24   #16
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads
Re: 01234567898 - Can I Block It?

Lol @ Kymmy, i'm currently in Bedford as i work in this hell hole, if that number is linked to an address here, someone give me it and i'll pay them a visit lol
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2011, 15:41   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

LOL, I'm only about 11 miles south

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Doing a google it seems as though the number is also associated with a few scam callers (fake council tax refunds and also charging £25 to stop sales calls for 7 years)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:31   #18
papasmurf
Inactive

papasmurf is on a distinguished roadpapasmurf is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty well up on spoofing all things IT, being in the trade, but I just can't get my head around the possibility of spoofing a 'phone number. How is that possible?
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 22:04   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Spoofing the sender number on SMS is dead easy, but I dont think you can do it for speech calls.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:40   #20
dgcarter
Inactive

Services: 60mbps Broadband only since I got rid of the overpriced phone line and the pointless TV
dgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friendsdgcarter doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Spoofing the sender number on SMS is dead easy, but I dont think you can do it for speech calls.
You can on a VOIP line, at least with some providers. They allow you to set the outgoing number.
dgcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 15:05   #21
papasmurf
Inactive

papasmurf is on a distinguished roadpapasmurf is on a distinguished road

Of course, that makes sense. I missed that one. Cheers, DG.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 09:44   #22
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

After getting a constant stream of scam/spam calls, despite being registered with TPS, I invested in a device that intelligently blocks this stuff (the Truecall device). I've not been bothered since.

It's a bit pricey, but it works very well indeed.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:54   #23
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Sad though when we have to pay money to stop illegal calls
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:19   #24
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sad though when we have to pay money to stop illegal calls
Indeed.

If it was just me I'd put the phone on the side and let them wait until they got fed up. However, I work away from home a fair bit and wouldn't want my wife worrying about late-night calls or calls claiming to be from Microsoft with warnings about an infection on my PC, etc, etc...

I even had one from, presumabley, a debt collector asking about one of my neighbours (they had the cheek to get quite shirty when I told them to bugger off!).

The call blocker device now stops everything stone dead. It's a pity that functionality couldn't be built-in to telephone services.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote