Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merlin : Season 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merlin : Season 2

Old 19-09-2009, 20:37   #1
zing_deleted

Merlin : Season 2

started tonight anyone watch it? I thought it was a good enough episode. Why not in HD though I ask?
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2009, 21:21   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
re: Merlin : Season 2

Didn't see it as we were tidying up after our son's birthday party. Downloading it now though so I'll see it tomorrow evening, probably.

As for HD - rendering FX to a higher standard makes it disproportionately expensive to do any fantasy show in HD compared, say, to Eastenders or a good wildlife show. The Doctor Who production team held out for as long as they could because they were worried that the net effect would be a lower quality production. The Beeb was reluctant to give them the extra cash they needed in order to do it to what RT Davies considered an acceptable standard. If the BBC is so reticent to properly fund its most successful non-soap drama in HD, I can't see them loosening the purse strings for Merlin, especially during a recession.

I guess if it gets a 3rd series next year it probably will go HD then, because the Beeb has a target to eventually get all its in-house and commissioned material made in HD.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 21:42   #3
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Don't see what the recession has to do with the BBC, it's just an excuse they use. Their income is 100% guaranteed on pain of a prison sentence.
Old 19-09-2009, 22:10   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

No, the licence fee is guaranteed but that is not the entirety of the BBC's income. BBC Worldwide is a commercial outfit that makes the Beeb a pile of cash that is re-invested in UK broadcasting. That commercial income is just as sensitive to a recession as any other business. The BBC is not nearly as exposed as its competitors, but to suggest it is immune is pretty wide of the mark.

More details here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...moyles-pay-cut
Old 19-09-2009, 23:25   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Yep, I watched it, not a bad start to season 2 - the clips of whats to come were quite interesting as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 22:21   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Missus and I just watched it, and really enjoyed it, more of the same from Season 1, but in this case that's a good thing.

We normally don't watch "coming up on next week's episode" bit, but did watch the coming up section, couldn't help ourselves

Afterwards on BBC3 there was a "behind the scenes" programme, we haven't watched that yet.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:42   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wasn't season 1 in HD? I can't actually remember.
Old 21-09-2009, 21:23   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wasn't season 1 in HD? I can't actually remember.
I thought it was, but I must have been thinking of Robin Hood, as it seems that Merlin has never been shown in HD in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...orks_best.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC blog
Having said that we want to make sure that the best of the BBC's content is available to you in HD, however that's defined, I have to tell Dazza124 that, unfortunately, Merlin will not be on BBC HD.

Sometimes, for a whole variety of reasons, the production team decides that it doesn't want to use the format. Those of us on BBC HD felt that Merlin was a show that we should aim to deliver in high definition, but in the end it was shot in Super 16.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 13:24   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

So, it sounds from that as if the Merlin production team have been having the same argument with their bosses at the Beeb as the Doctor Who team had, except Merlin doesn't have nearly as compelling a business case for increasing its budget.
Old 19-12-2009, 23:26   #10
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: Merlin : Season 2

Anyone know why there isn't a Secrets and Magic episode for the finale?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 06:30   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Merlin : Season 2

My Tv guide says there is Monday night, after the main program is shown at 19:00 on BBC3, and Tuesday at 16:55 according to http://www.radiotimes.com
admars is offline   Reply With Quote