Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 29-09-2018, 22:52   #1531
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You are right, but you forgot to mention that really small US market!
The chlorinated chicken one?

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Quote:
We will presumably be able to fish more cod for ourselves once freed of the common fisheries policy.

There is far too much emphasis on the negatives of leaving the EUB without balancing these with the positives. We all need to lighten up!
A bizarre preoccupation that Brexiters have with the fishing industry. It turns over just £725m pa. As others have pointed out, Harrods, by comparison, turns over £2bn pa.
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2018, 22:56   #1532
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The chlorinated chicken one?

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

A bizarre preoccupation that Brexiters have with the fishing industry. It turns over just £725m pa. As others have pointed out, Harrods, by comparison, turns over £2bn pa.
Andrew, really? Please, first of all, tell us what the problem is with chlorinated chicken? It’s the chlorine that makes it safe!

As for the fishing industry, I would just love you to experience the reception you would get from the fisherman if you talked to them directly about the existing EU arrangements. Where exactly are you cocoon led at this present time?
Old 29-09-2018, 23:13   #1533
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Andrew, really? Please, first of all, tell us what the problem is with chlorinated chicken? It’s the chlorine that makes it safe!

As for the fishing industry, I would just love you to experience the reception you would get from the fisherman if you talked to them directly about the existing EU arrangements. Where exactly are you cocoon led at this present time?
The US has different food standards than Europe. Importing their food would decimate our farming sector. The chlorinated chicken is an example of our divergence in standards.
You and other Brexiters seem obsessed with the fishing industry which contributes a very small proportion of GDP to the country - about a third of that contributed by Harrods! Maybe that's because it's the only industry that favoured Brexit. But now, many fishermen are now facing up to the bleak reality of no deal and realising that it will destroy their livelihood. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...e-deal-eu-deal
Old 29-09-2018, 23:37   #1534
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The US has different food standards than Europe. Importing their food would decimate our farming sector. The chlorinated chicken is an example of our divergence in standards.
You and other Brexiters seem obsessed with the fishing industry which contributes a very small proportion of GDP to the country - about a third of that contributed by Harrods! Maybe that's because it's the only industry that favoured Brexit. But now, many fishermen are now facing up to the bleak reality of no deal and realising that it will destroy their livelihood. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...e-deal-eu-deal
I think you need to go and read up on chlorinated chicken before making pronouncements like this.

Even the EU doesn’t think chlorine-washing chicken is chemically harmful to humans, though if you listen to the remainer hysteria on this point you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise. Their objection is either simple protectionism, or else it’s because they genuinely believe their own claim that lessening protective measures in the factory is a good idea because it forces farmers to be more careful. I know which I think is more likely but YMMV. Whatever the truth, chlorinated chicken carcasses typically have a prevalence of 2% salmonella while chickens treated the EU way have 15-20%. If raw chicken is carelessly handled in the home environment, guess which one is more likely to spread infection: chlorine-washed, or water-washed?

We really have to get away from the idea that EU regulations are automatically better than American ones.

Source

Last edited by Chris; 29-09-2018 at 23:40.
Old 29-09-2018, 23:50   #1535
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think you need to go and read up on chlorinated chicken before making pronouncements like this.

Even the EU doesn’t think chlorine-washing chicken is chemically harmful to humans, though if you listen to the remainer hysteria on this point you’d be forgiven for thinking otherwise. Their objection is either simple protectionism, or else it’s because they genuinely believe their own claim that lessening protective measures in the factory is a good idea because it forces farmers to be more careful. I know which I think is more likely but YMMV. Whatever the truth, chlorinated chicken carcasses typically have a prevalence of 2% salmonella while chickens treated the EU way have 15-20%. If raw chicken is carelessly handled in the home environment, guess which one is more likely to spread infection: chlorine-washed, or water-washed?

We really have to get away from the idea that EU regulations are automatically better than American ones.

Source
The public don't want chlorinated chicken or hormone mass produced beef. Quality not quantity. Mind you, if they had any sense, they wouldn't touch meat at all or vote for Brexit
Old 30-09-2018, 00:20   #1536
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Andrew, no! You have so many misconceptions!

First of all, on the chicken issue. So we have different standards. So what? Do you really see that as a barrier? If so, why? Please explain.

As for the fishing industry, this is just one small part of the problem we have with being part of the EU.

I don’t know you, but by the sound of it, you are left leaning politically. So your apparent dismissal of the plight of our fishermen does make me wonder which side of the fence you are actually on. These people have been sacrificed for the sacred EU, despite any principles toward the plight of the working man. I don’t know how any Labour supporters can seriously agree with the policies that have inflicted upon the fishing community. Seems like their only hope lies with the Conservatives.

Maybe other working class people should ponder that, too. Labour policies make the poor poorer.
Old 30-09-2018, 01:42   #1537
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Source
Your above comments bear no relevance whatsoever to my post!
I said "The US has different food standards than Europe. Importing their food would decimate our farming sector. The chlorinated chicken is an example of our divergence in standards."
Old 30-09-2018, 02:04   #1538
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Your above comments bear no relevance whatsoever to my post!
I said "The US has different food standards than Europe. Importing their food would decimate our farming sector. The chlorinated chicken is an example of our divergence in standards."
So we merge the standards. Andrew, rules can change.

My response was totally relevant, although I accept that they may not have been welcomed in your house. Sorry about that.
Old 30-09-2018, 02:07   #1539
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Andrew, no! You have so many misconceptions!

First of all, on the chicken issue. So we have different standards. So what? Do you really see that as a barrier? If so, why? Please explain.

As for the fishing industry, this is just one small part of the problem we have with being part of the EU.

I don’t know you, but by the sound of it, you are left leaning politically. So your apparent dismissal of the plight of our fishermen does make me wonder which side of the fence you are actually on. These people have been sacrificed for the sacred EU, despite any principles toward the plight of the working man. I don’t know how any Labour supporters can seriously agree with the policies that have inflicted upon the fishing community. Seems like their only hope lies with the Conservatives.

Maybe other working class people should ponder that, too. Labour policies make the poor poorer.
I suspect you won't find many left-leaning people on a pay-TV forum and I'm no exception to that rule!
Regarding fishing, it makes up less than 0.5% of the country's GDP so in terms of importance other industries are far more important to the country no matter how many times you borrow Diane Abbott's magic calculator! Put it another way, there's about 11,000 people employed in the UK fishing industry compared to 856,000 in the wider automotive sector. Leaving the EU is a threat to this important industry and our tax base as once jobs leave, they don't tend to come back. Greg Clark seems to be belatedly waking up to the facts.

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 ----------

Quote:
So we merge the standards. Andrew, rules can change.

My response was totally relevant, although I accept that they may not have been welcomed in your house. Sorry about that.
I quoted and commented on Chris's post not yours, Old Boy. When would you ever be anything except relevant?
Old 30-09-2018, 02:11   #1540
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I suspect you won't find many left-leaning people on a pay-TV forum and I'm no exception to that rule!
Regarding fishing, it makes up less than 0.5% of the country's GDP so in terms of importance other industries are far more important to the country no matter how many times you borrow Diane Abbott's magic calculator! Put it another way, there's about 11,000 people employed in the UK fishing industry compared to 856,000 in the wider automotive sector. Leaving the EU is a threat to this important industry and our tax base as once jobs leave, they don't tend to come back. Greg Clark seems to be belatedly waking up to the facts.
So, the fishermen don't count, then?

That was just one small example, of course, but your response to the plight of these people was interesting. And just a little disturbing.

---------- Post added at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 ----------

Quote:
I quoted and commented on Chris's post not yours, Old Boy. When would you ever be anything except relevant?
I know, old chap. But your response was well worth commenting on!
Old 30-09-2018, 07:46   #1541
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The fishing industry is one of the totems that illustrate the intrusion of the EU into British industry. It has thus hit a note with the public, at least the 52% that democratically voted for Brexit despite the Project Fear documentation delivered to each home by the then guvmin.

I understand that leaving the EU might bring disruption to important parts of industry, but that will resolve itself. By closing down for a month (automotive) the sourcing adjustments will be made.

The Remainers on this thread need to respect the Referendum result and stop whinging.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 30-09-2018, 09:22   #1542
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The fishing industry is one of the totems that illustrate the intrusion of the EU into British industry. It has thus hit a note with the public, at least the 52% that democratically voted for Brexit despite the Project Fear documentation delivered to each home by the then guvmin.

I understand that leaving the EU might bring disruption to important parts of industry, but that will resolve itself. By closing down for a month (automotive) the sourcing adjustments will be made.

The Remainers on this thread need to respect the Referendum result and stop whinging.
It's not whinging old chap, its genuine concern for ourselves and families that we've made a terrible irratreivable mistake which was is going to affect generations to come. Mostly based on lies and power seeking self interested politicians, and general xenophobia. This will affect us all no matter how we voted -no winners, just losers. And yes, the EU isn't perfect and does need reform, but we have cut off our nose to spite our face.

I for one am not going to stop 'whinging'
Old 30-09-2018, 09:31   #1543
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's not whinging old chap, its genuine concern for ourselves and families that we've made a terrible irratreivable mistake which was is going to affect generations to come. Mostly based on lies and power seeking self interested politicians, and general xenophobia. This will affect us all no matter how we voted -no winners, just losers. And yes, the EU isn't perfect and does need reform, but we have cut off our nose to spite our face.

I for one am not going to stop 'whinging'
With you on this.

Brexit has been an absolute shambles from the start. I just wish the Tory party MPs would split, rather than do as they are doing, dragging the whole of the UK into their marital problems.
Old 30-09-2018, 09:54   #1544
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It is whinging. Even the guvmin shambles doesn’t invalidate the Referendum. The EU were never going to reach agreement with us except on their terms. Varoufakis made that clear pretty much on day 1 and we would be where we are now had we heeded him - albeit with better preparation, perhaps.

Thwarting a democratic vote or supporting that cause is a disgrace.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 30-09-2018, 10:04   #1545
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It is whinging. Even the guvmin shambles doesn’t invalidate the Referendum. The EU were never going to reach agreement with us except on their terms. Varoufakis made that clear pretty much on day 1 and we would be where we are now had we heeded him - albeit with better preparation, perhaps.

Thwarting a democratic vote or supporting that cause is a disgrace.
Yet we are governed by a party that got less support than remain did in the referendum.

Democracy, shamocracy.
Closed Thread