Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 23-08-2022, 08:36   #976
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed it covers multiple governments of varying colours. Economic boom doesn't exempt those periods from being part of a failure too if it's not matched by rising wages and living standards across the board. If economic success looks like our decimated town centres of bookies, pound shops, charity shops and rough sleepers I'd hate to see what failure looks like.

I'm not making a party political point despite what Mick believes, I don't view politics the same way I support a football team.

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

Dear Snp, if you read cable forum can you get the Labour minority run Edinburgh council (propped up by the Tories and Lib Dems) to sort out the bins. Thanks. Jfman

Done. And it didn't solve the energy crisis.
Don’t get flippant with me. The Herald ran a story urging SNP to step in to solve the crisis to prevent it becoming a national embarrassment, so it is still their (SNP’s) problem.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2022, 08:52   #977
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Don’t get flippant with me. The Herald ran a story urging SNP to step in to solve the crisis to prevent it becoming a national embarrassment, so it is still their (SNP’s) problem.
Are the Tories stepping into local government disputes England? Or are things simply that bad down there it wouldn't class as a national embarrassment?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 09:01   #978
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Are the Tories stepping into local government disputes England? Or are things simply that bad down there it wouldn't class as a national embarrassment?
Are there local government disputes to the same magnitude of overflowing bins in Edinburgh, caused by Strikes?

Overflowing bins full of rotting food is a health hazard, not to mention a frigging eye sore.

Still a SNP problem, but you can’t bring yourself to trash your pathetic party, can you?
Old 23-08-2022, 09:12   #979
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Are there local government disputes to the same magnitude of overflowing bins in Edinburgh, caused by Strikes?

Overflowing bins full of rotting food is a health hazard, not to mention a frigging eye sore.

Still a SNP problem, but you can’t bring yourself to trash your pathetic party, can you?
I'm not in the SNP so I don't really associate myself with the compelling urge to defend and deflect from their inadequacies in the way you do with the Tories.

In an independent Scotland with the macroeconomic levers to intervene in the energy market, on inflation, and with borrowing powers I probably wouldn't vote for the SNP.

I welcome overflowing bins though. Nothing puts the great in Great Britain more than poor public services, half the country in fuel poverty and shit flowing in the seas.
Old 23-08-2022, 09:34   #980
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’m eagerly awaiting the autumn TV schedules. Perhaps now’s the time to bring back It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and Til Death Us Do Part.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 10:41   #981
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I'm not in the SNP so I don't really associate myself with the compelling urge to defend and deflect from their inadequacies in the way you do with the Tories.

In an independent Scotland with the macroeconomic levers to intervene in the energy market, on inflation, and with borrowing powers I probably wouldn't vote for the SNP.

I welcome overflowing bins though. Nothing puts the great in Great Britain more than poor public services, half the country in fuel poverty and shit flowing in the seas.
I don’t defend the Tories, actually, another ridiculous accusation from you, yeah it’s a party I support, will vote for, but it absolutely has issues that it must address with the nation.

I challenge your views because you only appear to Tory bash, when other parties are just as shit for something.

You still need to watch your flippancy btw.
Old 23-08-2022, 12:00   #982
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

During the boom times we should have been investing and saving but we just spent and spent not always wisely. We raised our lifestyles too far, nothing wrong with a bit of increase with wage rises but we had far too much excess.
Old 23-08-2022, 12:59   #983
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
So because it might not have gone well in some industries in the past it can't work now in any sector?

Its working great for other countries and they are subsidising it by making profit abroad.

When so much profit is being made it could easily be run the same without profit and decrease our costs.
Where would the investment come from if industries re re-nationalised. It didn’t work before, so what’s changed?
Old 23-08-2022, 13:04   #984
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Where would the investment come from if industries re re-nationalised. It didn’t work before, so what’s changed?
Same place the bail outs come from when private companies that are "too big to fail" inevitably do.

You seem to be under the false impression that investment comes from the private sector rather than recognise the parasitic nature of it. It's the end users - customers - funding the minimalistic investment and high dividends.

Hugh linked to a story this morning comparing the dividend payments to investment in to to the water industry.

I am hugely entertained by the implication that the energy market is working. Dare I ask, who for?
Old 23-08-2022, 19:36   #985
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
During the boom times we should have been investing and saving but we just spent and spent not always wisely. We raised our lifestyles too far, nothing wrong with a bit of increase with wage rises but we had far too much excess.
The boom times are like 20 years ago now though.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 20:07   #986
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

From Santander:

Quote:
We're doubling cashback to 4% on your gas and electricity bills

For 2 months from September, we're giving 4% instead of 2% cashback on gas and electricity bills.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 20:29   #987
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
From Santander:
2% for 2 months , that"s big of them !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 22:01   #988
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’m eagerly awaiting the autumn TV schedules. Perhaps now’s the time to bring back It Ain’t Half Hot Mum and Til Death Us Do Part.
And:
- The Twilight Zone
- Desperate Housewives
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 22:57   #989
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
From Santander:
Doesn't Santander cap each cashback category at £5 per month anyway though? I can't imagine it will help too many people given current prices.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 01:31   #990
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Doesn't Santander cap each cashback category at £5 per month anyway though? I can't imagine it will help too many people given current prices.
They have raised the cap to £10.
However, I think the accounts also have a monthly fee.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote