Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 22-11-2022, 17:35   #1726
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Don't know what our maximum gas generating capacity is, but at the moment we're importing 4.5GW from Europe.
This the latest I can find…

https://www.edie.net/in-numbers-the-...s-predicament/

Quote:
UK gas production fell 17% between 2020 and 2021, but is on the rise now

BEIS’s figures reveal that the UK produced 363,970 GWh of gas in 2021, down from 439,394 GWh in 2020. Production has grown significantly since 2007, pandemic aside, but it not yet back up to 2019 levels.

However, production may well increase in 2022. BEIS only has figures for the first quarter at the moment, which reveal that production was 5.3% higher in Q1 2022 than in Q1 2021. BEIS puts this down to the completion of maintenance works across the sector and increased demand. Time will tell if this trend continues, as homes, businesses and industry broadly look to reduce their consumption.
4) The UK imports seven times more gas than it exports

Regarding what happened to the gas produced in 2021, around 21% (75,682 GWh) was exported, per BEIS’s figures. The UK has been a net importer of gas for decades, as its demand outstrips domestic supply – and, as noted above, gas is internationally traded. In 2021, the UK imported 560,831 GWh of gas, more than seven times the amount it exported.

The UK gets 58% of its imported gas from pipelines, primarily Norway (55% of all imports). If demand is high in Europe, competition for Norwegian gas will increase, pushing up the price. The other 42% of gas imports come as LNG, mainly via ships from Qatar and the USA, however, 12% of LNG imports were from Russia in 2020 (making Russia the UK’s third largest supplier). The UK government has committed to phasing out Russian LNG as soon as possible in 2023. The UK is also competing with Asia for LNG.
Then there’s this

https://grid.iamkate.com/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2022, 17:41   #1727
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I was referring to electricty generated by gas. Perhaps it's cheaper importing from Norway, France, Belguim, and the Netherland, but the links are getting a bit near capacity.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 08:31   #1728
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
".....the typical household is currently paying £2,500 a year for energy.... without government support households would have paid £4,279 from January.
.......suppliers can charge a maximum of 34p per unit for electricity and 10.3p for gas until April...
The government is paying the energy firms for the shortfall.
Without the government's intervention, consumers would have had to pay 67p per unit for electricity and 17p for gas from January."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63740945
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 10:53   #1729
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The BBC are really not good at representing some things well when its politically related.

Saying a typical household bill is misleading, I still hope for Ofgem to stop this average bill nonsense and just quote unit rates instead, but the BBC are not helping matters by using an even worse word.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 14:22   #1730
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Saying a typical household bill is misleading, I still hope for Ofgem to stop this average bill nonsense and just quote unit rates instead
Ditto, the 'average' figure is largely meaningless, certainly to me.

On the bright side, Bulb seem to be crediting the "Warm Home Discount" automatically.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 14:53   #1731
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

On the bright side, Bulb seem to be crediting the "Warm Home Discount" automatically.
Have they started paying it or have they announced they are going to? Last year i did not get mine to January. I am a little nervous about the criteria for automatic payments and how they decide if you need it or not.
Old 25-11-2022, 14:57   #1732
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

That's way it's done now, although there are extra conditions.
Link

Quote:
In England and Wales, you qualify for Warm Home Discount if you either:
  • get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit or
  • are on a low income and have high energy costs
If you’re eligible for the payment on the qualifying date of 21 August 2022, you don’t need to apply for the Warm Home Discount this year, even if you applied in previous years.
The Government will decide who is eligible and if you are will write to you between November 2022 and mid-January 2023.
The problem with thresholds(of energy costs) is that you could be just £1 below the threshold and not get the discount, but if you were £1 above it, you would get the £150.
Old 25-11-2022, 15:02   #1733
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That's way it's done now, although there are extra conditions.
Link

The problem with thresholds(of energy costs) is that you could be just £1 below the threshold and not get the discount, but if you were £1 above it, you would get the £150.
From how I read it it is not done on how much you pay but the building you live in

Scroll down it gives full info

https://octopus.energy/blog/warm-hom...#england-wales
Old 25-11-2022, 15:05   #1734
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Have they started paying it or have they announced they are going to? Last year i did not get mine to January. I am a little nervous about the criteria for automatic payments and how they decide if you need it or not.
It's no longer a "first come, first served" system.
Link to simple checker

Quote:
You’ll also need to know the size and age of your property. You can find this:
  • on Energy Performance of Buildings Data if your property has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • on property documents, like your tenancy agreement or insurance paperwork
People that were eligible before, now won't be.
Old 25-11-2022, 15:11   #1735
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
It's no longer a "first come, first served" system.
Link to simple checker

People that were eligible before, now won't be.
I have no idea the square meter size of my house and to be honest have no way of knowing how to add it up hahaha but 88 square metre is a no 89 square metre is a yes. Average end terraced on a search (old type so not small) is 1087 square feet so it is touch and go
Old 25-11-2022, 15:13   #1736
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
From how I read it it is not done on how much you pay but the building you live in

Scroll down it gives full info

https://octopus.energy/blog/warm-hom...#england-wales
So if potential high energy costs, not actual.Not all the floor space needs to be heated.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote:
I have no idea the square meter size of my house and to be honest have no way of knowing how to add it up hahaha but 88 square metre is a no 89 square metre is a yes. Average end terraced on a search (old type so not small) is 1087 square feet so it is touch and go
Google maps and measure distance tool.
Old 25-11-2022, 15:22   #1737
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Googled how to measure it and if they count loft space I am about 90 square metres if they do not then I am stuffed at about 60 square metres

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

My property apparently does not have a EPC either
Old 25-11-2022, 15:23   #1738
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Googled how to measure it and if they count loft space I am about 90 square metres if they do not then I am stuffed at about 60 square metres
Also depends on age of building. You can use the checker and keep changing the floor space size.
It seems to kick in at around 75-80m2 for my bungalow built around 1979.
Where I used to live which was pre-1900 would qualify, even though it has since been upgraded and made more energy efficient.

Last edited by nomadking; 25-11-2022 at 15:29.
Old 25-11-2022, 15:36   #1739
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Also depends on age of building. You can use the checker and keep changing the floor space size.
It seems to kick in at around 75-80m2 for my bungalow built around 1979.
For an end terraced built between 1959 and 1966 it seems to be 89 m2 my house is approx 6 meters x 5 meters

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I would imagine loft space would count as it is an area of heat loss so therefore energy efficiency so that would make in 90 m2
Old 25-11-2022, 16:56   #1740
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
For an end terraced built between 1959 and 1966 it seems to be 89 m2 my house is approx 6 meters x 5 meters

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

I would imagine loft space would count as it is an area of heat loss so therefore energy efficiency so that would make in 90 m2
Unless the loft has been converted, it isn't floor space. It's not a volume that has to be heated.