Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2018, 17:26   #481
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit Discussion (New thread-Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Her current proposals do not satisfy the essential red lines. For example, when she says we take control of our fisheries, that merely means we decide what to give away. The entire "we take control" part of the proposal means just that.

If the EU agrees to her proposal just like that, then I'm proved right because they wouldn't agree unless their ECJ has supremacy.

She has given so much away that the end result from here is easy to predict unless there is no deal.
Both I and others have predicted this outcome from day 1.
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2018, 10:36   #482
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

BREAKING: U.S President Donald Trump told Theresa May should sue the EU she has revealed today on Marr show.
Old 15-07-2018, 10:58   #483
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Her current proposals do not satisfy the essential red lines. For example, when she says we take control of our fisheries, that merely means we decide what to give away. The entire "we take control" part of the proposal means just that.

If the EU agrees to her proposal just like that, then I'm proved right because they wouldn't agree unless their ECJ has supremacy.

She has given so much away that the end result from here is easy to predict unless there is no deal.
We will be out of the Common Fisheries arrangements, which means that we control our own waters. So we decide who fishes there, just as we did pre-common market. The fisheries industry has been crying out for this change.

Theresa May has already confirmed that under her proposals, we will no longer be under the control of the ECJ.

I am struggling to work out what your objection actually is. I have no qualms about crashing out of the EU under WTO rules if we have to, but a trade deal relating to our EU trade is sensible.

We want trade deals all over the world. The one we are discussing now just happens to be the EU one.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:06   #484
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: U.S President Donald Trump told Theresa May should sue the EU she has revealed today on Marr show.
That was the only question she answered ,all she did was dither and dance around the other questions ,it was clear she was deceiving us imo .
Old 15-07-2018, 11:09   #485
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
An interesting sound bite from the PM. More here
Quote:
Talking about the president's advice on how to handle the EU, Mrs May said: "Interestingly, what the president also said at that press conference was 'don't walk away'.
"Don't walk away from those negotiations because then you'll be stuck. So I want us to be able to sit down to negotiate the best deal for Britain...
Mrs May insists her plans would allow the UK to strike its own trade deals, despite agreeing a "common rulebook" with the EU on cross-border trade.
She said such rules were needed to protect jobs in firms with "integrated supply chains" and deal with the Irish border issue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44838028

Last edited by 1andrew1; 15-07-2018 at 11:16.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:17   #486
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
That was the only question she answered ,all she did was dither and dance around the other questions ,it was clear she was deceiving us imo .
I heard about the interview but I couldn't watch it for fear of breaking the TV. I have heard the crushing reviews though. May is running on empty.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:31   #487
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We will be out of the Common Fisheries arrangements, which means that we control our own waters. So we decide who fishes there, just as we did pre-common market. The fisheries industry has been crying out for this change. [SEPH]: Oops. I hope you really aren't wearing rose tinted specs. The Fishing industry want the waters back; May has left the door open for the EU boot to wedge in as a negotiating point for other things we want. She has used vague wording here to allow here to give stuff away to the Brussels turds.

Theresa May has already confirmed that under her proposals, we will no longer be under the control of the ECJ. [SEPH]: Oh please. A whole swathe of stuff, including social policy, are to be aligned to EU rules and thus enforced by the ECJ. True, we can decide to diverge in which case it's Schmitt or bust as we come up against the arbitration panel and ultimately the ECJ. What's more the deal is silent on the Human Rights convention which lets the ECJ in on everything. Oh - just pointed out on TV - will I be able to buy a 2200 watt Hoover again?

I am struggling to work out what your objection actually is. I have no qualms about crashing out of the EU under WTO rules if we have to, but a trade deal relating to our EU trade is sensible. [SEPH]: I understand the need for compromise. But now reading this White Paper, we have rolled over and the Brussels turds will still want more. I'm disgusted at May - I'm even willing to entertain that she has been duplicitous all along.

We want trade deals all over the world. The one we are discussing now just happens to be the EU one. [SEPH]: … and on terms that will ties us down from a customs perspective because we might be bringing in tariff free goods from, say, Singapore..

My advice is at your risk.
Old 15-07-2018, 11:49   #488
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Well he is an American.
Old 15-07-2018, 17:23   #489
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

We will be out of the Common Fisheries arrangements, which means that we control our own waters. So we decide who fishes there, just as we did pre-common market. The fisheries industry has been crying out for this change. [SEPH]: Oops. I hope you really aren't wearing rose tinted specs. The Fishing industry want the waters back; May has left the door open for the EU boot to wedge in as a negotiating point for other things we want. She has used vague wording here to allow here to give stuff away to the Brussels turds.

Theresa May has already confirmed that under her proposals, we will no longer be under the control of the ECJ. [SEPH]: Oh please. A whole swathe of stuff, including social policy, are to be aligned to EU rules and thus enforced by the ECJ. True, we can decide to diverge in which case it's Schmitt or bust as we come up against the arbitration panel and ultimately the ECJ. What's more the deal is silent on the Human Rights convention which lets the ECJ in on everything. Oh - just pointed out on TV - will I be able to buy a 2200 watt Hoover again?

I am struggling to work out what your objection actually is. I have no qualms about crashing out of the EU under WTO rules if we have to, but a trade deal relating to our EU trade is sensible. [SEPH]: I understand the need for compromise. But now reading this White Paper, we have rolled over and the Brussels turds will still want more. I'm disgusted at May - I'm even willing to entertain that she has been duplicitous all along.

We want trade deals all over the world. The one we are discussing now just happens to be the EU one. [SEPH]: … and on terms that will ties us down from a customs perspective because we might be bringing in tariff free goods from, say, Singapore..

I'm sure that these are your legitimate concerns, Seph, but I do think you are making assumptions here. Theresa May has emphatically ruled out remaining under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, for a start. You don't know that anything will be 'given away' in terms of our fisheries policy, and I'm not sure which social policies you think will continue to be in place.

There are parts of the White Paper I would like to see clarified, but we will have to wait for that. In the meantime, we should not jump to conclusions.
Old 15-07-2018, 17:35   #490
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm sure that these are your legitimate concerns, Seph, but I do think you are making assumptions here. Theresa May has emphatically ruled out remaining under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, for a start. You don't know that anything will be 'given away' in terms of our fisheries policy, and I'm not sure which social policies you think will continue to be in place.

There are parts of the White Paper I would like to see clarified, but we will have to wait for that. In the meantime, we should not jump to conclusions.
OB, I think you've also jumped to the conclusion that we can take May at her literal word. Whereas I've used judgement based on what's been happening to date and the weasel wording of the White Paper to conclude otherwise.

Old 15-07-2018, 17:45   #491
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Well, Brexit means Brexit.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-07-2018, 18:33   #492
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
OB, I think you've also jumped to the conclusion that we can take May at her literal word. Whereas I've used judgement based on what's been happening to date and the weasel wording of the White Paper to conclude otherwise.
So it doesn't matter what May says. You will disregard these comments and believe something else. That is your right, I suppose, but I prefer to take people at their word and read what documents actually say.

From what I can see so far, all May is doing is trying to get a favourable trade deal with Brussels. Outside of ECJ jurisdiction, outside of the EU, common market and customs union, and an end to free movement.

What's wrong with that?
Old 15-07-2018, 18:40   #493
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from OLD BOY:

From what I can see so far, all May is doing is trying to get a favourable trade deal with Brussels. Outside of ECJ jurisdiction, outside of the EU, common market and customs union, and an end to free movement.

What's wrong with that?
Except that you always get that feeling that we're being sold out to the EU as so many times before.
Old 15-07-2018, 19:11   #494
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I second the above.

Old 15-07-2018, 19:38   #495
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Except that you always get that feeling that we're being sold out to the EU as so many times before.
I know, and I think that is what all Brexiteers, including me, are worried about. However, so far, Theresa May has not said anything that alarms me. Let's see how it goes. If those red lines start to get fuzzy, I will be joining with all the hardliners, screaming for WTO.

But do you really think she will commit an act of political suicide? People would not stand for it, and you can already see a flavour of the kind of reaction you will get from the public if we don't get a proper Brexit. Theresa May's ratings have plummeted in the expectation she will foul up. If she doesn't, and we get the true Brexit we want, just watch those ratings soar again.
Closed Thread