Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | big switch off fury

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

big switch off fury

Old 03-04-2011, 08:58   #1
david s
Inactive

david s is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy big switch off fury

I'm new to the furum and I expect that this topic has been discussed before in various guises but it's getting closer for my area now and I just wanted to vent!!!!

I would have thought that with the strength of following of TV viewing that there would have been a lot more anger about the switching off of 'ordinary' terestrial TV.

Agreed, I rarely watch it now, mainly using Sky; but very regularly, particularly during the winter, terestrial analouge is the only signal that can get through. Even 'freeview' pixalates and sticks in snowy weather. As far as signal strength is concerned...I am so close to the Sutton Coldfield mast that it will almost hit me if it falls over. We have no cable service in our area.

How is it that the powers concerned can dictate that we can only watch TV in good weather?

Dave.
david s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: big switch off fury

The reason your Freeview signal is weak is because the analogue service is still running and Freeview is not allowed to interfere with it. Once the analogue signal is switched off in your area, the Freeview signal will be boosted and all should be fine.

If your Sky dish suffers interference in poor weather it may need adjusting slightly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55   #3
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

You're almost talking like this has been sprung upon you...
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:01   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
You're almost talking like this has been sprung upon you...
well we've only had about 15 yrs notice
Old 03-04-2011, 13:24   #5
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Some of us lost terrestrial tv in November 2009 and earlier
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:31   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Some of us lost terrestrial tv in November 2009 and earlier
there's quite a few lost it and not even realised ,especially if they had new windows from me plenty of times i have not put the old ariel cable back through the new window because mostly they either have sky or virgin but still have the old terrestrial hooked up ,some do use it for freeview in which case i put it back
Old 03-04-2011, 13:39   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Even 'freeview' pixalates and sticks in snowy weather. As far as signal strength is concerned...I am so close to the Sutton Coldfield mast that it will almost hit me if it falls over. We have no cable service in our area.
Perhaps you need to get your set-up checked out. I live north of Nottingham, but because of our position we cannot see Waltham or Nottingham transmitters, we actually have to use Sutton Coldfield (which is about 30 miles away) and we get a reasonable signal.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 14:48   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Perhaps you need to get your set-up checked out. I live north of Nottingham, but because of our position we cannot see Waltham or Nottingham transmitters, we actually have to use Sutton Coldfield (which is about 30 miles away) and we get a reasonable signal.
Although if he is that close to the transmitter, that could be the cause of the problem. The DTV signal could literally be flying over of the top of his aerial.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 15:48   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It'll effect V more than H antennas being that close and Sutton Coldfield is H. They might want to raise the elevation though.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 15:49   #10
david s
Inactive

david s is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Although if he is that close to the transmitter, that could be the cause of the problem. The DTV signal could literally be flying over of the top of his aerial.
Someone else has suggested that sort of problem but I thought he was joking.

Could I actually be too close to get a good signal?

Perhaps they'd let me run a cable strait from the mast

Oh. and no I dont think that it has been 'sprung on me', I've been saying it for a long time.

Those of you who have already been through the 'switch off'; has your digital signal improved?
david s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 16:07   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I have to admit, I was told that a while ago by a TV installer. I have to admit, i didn't believe it but it does make sense. They would want the signal to travel as far as possible. This would mean positioning the antennae so they don't end up transmitting into the ground.

I am sure that someone will be along who can either agree with or correct me.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 17:05   #12
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Like it or not, the analogue system was at the limit of it's development, indeed the system was never designed for colour and the colour subcarriers were inserted at the expense of picture quality. While I have gripes about DAB radio, the switch to DVB-T has endless benefits. Cross-colour/luminance, ghosting, grainy pictures, co-channel interference etc will all be a thing of the past. Yes, digital doesn't solve all the problems, but it's a lot better than what it replaces.

If you are very close to a main transmitter then the analogue channels may be fouling your reception, or the existing freeview signal may be swamping the receiver anyway. Don't fiddle too much until switchover starts, and if you still have problems try an indoor aerial (if you're not using one already).
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote