Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 06-09-2020, 12:07   #301
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: Funding of the BBC

The BBC will continue to drag it's heels as long as possible to preserve the licence fee but sooner or later it will disappear. The reason it will disappear is because as the older generation dies off the younger generation will not tolerate it. They will pay for streaming services and maybe Sky or Virgin but will like many of us are now question why the BBC should be privileged and get funded compulsory. I believe eventually the BBC will find themselves by adverts and part subscription. Just my opinion and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2020, 12:46   #302
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Most of the 'younger generation' I know watch everything on a 4.7" screen while walking around.

They're not interested in BBC, ITV etc, it's all netflix & youtube, so best of luck chasing a license fee for using a mobile phone
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 13:28   #303
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
The BBC will continue to drag it's heels as long as possible to preserve the licence fee but sooner or later it will disappear. The reason it will disappear is because as the older generation dies off the younger generation will not tolerate it. They will pay for streaming services and maybe Sky or Virgin but will like many of us are now question why the BBC should be privileged and get funded compulsory. I believe eventually the BBC will find themselves by adverts and part subscription. Just my opinion and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.
I agree, sam. It's just a matter of time before there is a public outcry over this. The only surprising thing is that there are still people who believe the licence fee is here to stay.

I mean, why??!

Oh, yes, I remember, because nothing will ever change. Yeah, right!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 13:56   #304
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree, sam. It's just a matter of time before there is a public outcry over this. The only surprising thing is that there are still people who believe the licence fee is here to stay.

I mean, why??!

Yeah as I said it will go eventually and as you said their will be a public outcry. I could even see people refusing to pay like with the Poll tax and forcing the Beebs hand.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 14:25   #305
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

I mean, why??!

Love when you quote a position that no one has put forward - if only there was a name for that type of fallacy?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 14:42   #306
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Love when you quote a position that no one has put forward - if only there was a name for that type of fallacy?
I name that fallacy “Hugh”.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=297

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:32   #307
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Most of the 'younger generation' I know watch everything on a 4.7" screen while walking around.

They're not interested in BBC, ITV etc, it's all netflix & youtube, so best of luck chasing a license fee for using a mobile phone ;)
Exactly. The advent of new technology has made the TVL difficult to enforce. To legally watch TV on a mobile device, you need to:

- Have a valid TVL at your home address.

- Be in an establishment that has a valid TVL eg a friends house or a pub.

- Watching it with someone who has a valid TVL.

I imagine that most won't be breaking the law, but if they aren't, as it stands, they will never be caught.

Each morning TVL inspectors receive a list of unlicensed addresses to visit and can only visit these addresses. They can't visit a house that they notice is now occupied or a new build that has been occupied (though they can pass these details on to their manager).

They most certainly can't approach an individual in the street who is watching live TV or the iPlayer to check if they are covered by a TVL.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 06-09-2020 at 19:01.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 18:57   #308
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Exactly. The advent of new technology has made the TVL difficult to enforce. To legally watch TV on a mobile device, you need to:

- Have a valid TVL at your home address.

- Be in an establishment that has a valid TVL eg a friends house or a pub.

- Watching it with someone who has a valid TVL.

I imagine that most won't be breaking the law, but if they aren't, as it stands, they will never be caught.

Each morning TVL inspectors receive a list of unlicensed addresses to visit and can only visit these addresses. They can't visit a house that they notice is now occupied or a new build that has been occupied (though they can pass these details on to their manager).

They most certainly can't approach an individual in the street who is watching live TV or the iPlayer to check if they are coveted by a TVL.
They visited me once a few years ago, had a look and even though I gave them permission to check my PC declined and admitted I don't need one (I don't watch live UK TV).

Since then I have recieved numerous begging letters from Bristol, always answered (online) "You are welcome to come and inspect anytime".

I'm still waiting, even if they do they will come to the same conclusion.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 23:18   #309
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think you may have missed rather a lot of posts, Hugh. Either that, or your memory is on the blink!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 23:27   #310
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think you may have missed rather a lot of posts, Hugh. Either that, or your memory is on the blink!
Nah. Either Hugh loves the BBC or he doesn't love you (and certainly not me!).

The DG has a lot of work to do. My understanding is that the previous DG, whilst crapping on the pensioners, wanted to move programmes away from appeal to the older population and draw in the younger. I hope the new DG sees the folly of any assumption that the BBC cab appeal to younger people who would hardly be seen in front of a TV unti much later in life - if then at all.

The licence cannot last indefinitely. OB is absolutely right.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 00:21   #311
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
People have said they like the BBC, and don’t mind paying the licence - that is not the same as saying people have said "nothing will ever change"...

Nice try, though...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:37   #312
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe this?
https://youtu.be/hfil34ayaEU
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:42   #313
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
People have said they like the BBC, and don’t mind paying the licence - that is not the same as saying people have said "nothing will ever change"...

Nice try, though...
can you name them?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:37   #314
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
can you name them?
There's a few named here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:16   #315
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Until someone devises a way of funding the BBC that's not through advertising or subscription, I can't see things changing under the current government and BBC Director General.
The middle way seems to be as per now - contain costs and maximise content sales which should lead to sub-inflation rises in the licence fee. Then make a bit of noise about other solutions whilst not rocking the boat too much for BBC 2/4, Radio 3/4-loving Conservative voters. (Deliberate cliches)

Last edited by 1andrew1; 07-09-2020 at 10:20.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote