Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:51   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

A very nice girl representing SKY called at my home last night . Said a neighbour ? ! had said to call !!!
Anyway told her what I have
XL package TV
2 meg broadband
Telephone 4p, 3p 2p 1p ( a old cabletel package)
V+ box
I can do that says she for £30 per month but I need to add BT line to that which I don’t have. No you don’t she says!!!
I am paying £42 per month ( £51.50p if discount went)
Was too busy to really follow this up but it sounds too good to be true.
Would miss BBC I player but in all honesty that would be it. Record two –used once since having V+ ITV player never used it .
If she is correct I am paying for free repair & I player £12 per month . Have to question is it worth it! lose my discount & that would rise to £21.50 per month guess that would mean I would move!!
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12   #2
roland69uk
Inactive

Services: V+, M TV, L BB, XL Phone. Sky + HD
roland69uk is on a distinguished roadroland69uk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to roland69uk
Re: door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

I have the V+ and did have the triple xl package, when i decieded to go for the sky hd box i simply downgraded virgin to the free package, now i have VOD from virgin and HD channels from sky
roland69uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12   #3
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

If they are offering broadband its there basic deal and its 2Mb with 2gb download limit so becareful they always offer you the lowest and its always the cheapest and in most case not what you want, but you never know you might like Sky.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:39   #4
EBD3000
Inactive

Services: L Phone, L Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V-HD, Xbox 360
EBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about them

Well having been on the sky website that £30 will get you -

All mixes
Sky Broadband Base
Sky Talk (Basic level)
Sky+

= £31.50pcm + £49 one off fee.

Up to you. However the Sky+ box doesn't upscale like V+. A Sky+ HD box bumps up the price by a £10pcm.
EBD3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

You'll still need to add your phone line rental to that whether it's through VM or BT.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49   #6
EBD3000
Inactive

Services: L Phone, L Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V-HD, Xbox 360
EBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about themEBD3000 has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Re: door step offer from SKY to good to be true?

No that includes line rental of £10 from Sky Talk.
EBD3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmitage View Post
You'll still need to add your phone line rental to that whether it's through VM or BT.
Not from what she said !!! do not need phone line - and to be honest if Virgin would drop it & the charge of cause I would get rid of it in a flash. Last months phone call cost 15p !!!!
- also said match TV channels I have so Skys match to Virgin XL .
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55   #8
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough

We had the same

Sky person knocked on door so i invited him in

He offered me:
HD £29
Free line rental for 12m
Free 2mb BB (changing to up to 16mb)
3 mixes
Total: £28.50 pm (this incl 9.75 for HD sub)

We are moving in to a new home soon that has no BT line, so sky will pay for BT to install this for us, and all we have to do is pay £25 new connection charge. Where BT will charge £120+

He also pushed the install date back to 20th June as we are still waiting for some searches to come back on the property and have no moving in date. If everything falls through we can cancel at any time!

The guy said the only reason sky dropped there HD box to £49 was to take away customers from VM!

I signed up
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Not from what she said !!! do not need phone line - and to be honest if Virgin would drop it & the charge of cause I would get rid of it in a flash. Last months phone call cost 15p !!!!
- also said match TV channels I have so Skys match to Virgin XL .
I think that's very unlikely. The dish and box are subsidised under all Sky's installation packages and the condition of you getting that subsidy is that you keep it connected to an active phone line for 12 months.

I think it's more likely that she may have told you you don't need to change to a BT line - the digibox will work fine with a Virgin cable phone - but it *will* need a landline to connect to and if she really did tell you that it doesn't, she's tried to sell you a lie.

One way or another you need to make sure you factor in all the costs you will incur by switching to Sky before you know if it's a better deal, and phone line rental is part of that.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 13:30   #10
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough

They did mention the same thing to me saying you don't need a phone but if you want to purchase any PPV content you need to ring some number.

Maybe there T&C's have changed?
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 14:54   #11
Itshim
Do I care what you think

I am not planning on moving over. I dont have a BT phone line ( was "cut" by Cabltel see others post if you want details) I just found it hard to believe that for £30 per month they would supply what Virgin if "fully charged " would cost me £51.50p. And at any rate costs me £42
Old 01-05-2009, 16:15   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

As related in another thread, I had the Skyguy round cold-calling, and I let him estimate what a like for like replacement would be for -
BB L
TV XL
V+
additional STB
Phone XL

Sky would have cost me £1.50 a month more, for slower BB (I am one of the fortunates who get just under 10Mb constantly).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 16:21   #13
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Sky would only give you a free broadband service with a 2Gb cap
Old 01-05-2009, 16:33   #14
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Sky digibox will work with a VM phone line, but for sky broadband you do need a BT line. If you are on one of the unbundled BT exchanges where sky have installed equipment there will be no BT line rental to pay.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 16:35   #15
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

there is an offer on at the moment where they will pay your line rental for a year

see the black box ad on this page

http://packages.sky.com/?DCMP=ILC-SkyCOM_productsGetSky
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote