Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

New Computer

Old 29-11-2018, 20:20   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New Computer

Deleted your answer, i don't like your tone.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 29-11-2018 at 20:25.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-11-2018, 20:53   #17
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Love you Pip
xxxx
beaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 10:22   #18
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
If your new computer is a desktop pc then it is unlikely to be wifi enabled and you would need some kind of a wifi adaptor to connect to the internet.

If your new computer is a Laptop then it will have built in wifi.
Surely new desktop/all in one computers will have wi fi built in these days without the need for a wi fi adaptor?.I will be looking for a new computer soon and hope I do not need any wi fi adaptor of any sort.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 11:44   #19
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
Surely new desktop/all in one computers will have wi fi built in these days without the need for a wi fi adaptor?.I will be looking for a new computer soon and hope I do not need any wi fi adaptor of any sort.
I think a lot of modern motherboards still don't have wifi capability built in. It's relatively easy to install an internal card or use a dongle but it still seems crazy that all modern boards don't have wifi as standard.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 12:14   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from daveeb:

I think a lot of modern motherboards still don't have wifi capability built in. It's relatively easy to install an internal card or use a dongle but it still seems crazy that all modern boards don't have wifi as standard.
I would think the issue is that most desktops are in metal case so an antenna on the Mobo wouldn't get out.

My laptop, that uses a metal chassies and part casing, has the WiFi antenna built round the edge of the screen.
Old 30-11-2018, 12:41   #21
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My daughter's 3 year old PC has a wifi aerial on the back, and an extension lead came with it so that the aerial could be located up to a metre away.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 19:50   #22
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

All in one computer should be fine then as they seem to be all plastic casings.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:51   #23
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Frankly I'm confused why the OP keeps wittering on about wireless in any case, he's currently using Ethernet over USB on his existing PC and the new one, like all PC's since about 1988 has an Ethernet port, so why all the angst over wi-fi when he'll be using Ethernet anyway - with a bonus that he won't need the USB adaptor.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 22:11   #24
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

All solved. My new PC is now working perfectly using WiFi.

Thank you all for the advice and some for their unnecessary provocative comments, but the Forum was of great help in giving me positive guidance.
I am not a computer buff in terms of cyber functional gymnastics, but am a veteran of 14 years computer operations and of moderate technical knowledge. I can cope with reasonably easy technical computer situations.

The setting up of the new PC went like a dream.

Thank you everybody for your help.
Old 10-12-2018, 22:23   #25
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Does your new PC not have an Ethernet port?
Old 11-12-2018, 20:16   #26
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

All has been revealed.

My modem/router is a WiFi. I entered my VM details in the request panel of my new computer and it flew immediately. It is working on WiFi to perfection. Just a single power cable.

I have now joined the modern world after 14 years using XP and am delighted.

I would like to thank all the respondents who have helped me constructively on this thread and bid those who submitted unnecessary and derogatory remarks to have a nice day.
Old 11-12-2018, 21:55   #27
techguyone
Deus Vult

No one has been negative, we're just a bit puzzled why you would use Wi-Fi on a desktop PC with an Ethernet port that will run a lot faster/more reliably with the Ethernet lead than it ever would on wireless.

Your hub (that thing you think is a modem but isn't) even has 4 Ethernet ports on it for you to use
Old 11-12-2018, 22:00   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
All has been revealed.

My modem/router is a WiFi. I entered my VM details in the request panel of my new computer and it flew immediately. It is working on WiFi to perfection. Just a single power cable.

I have now joined the modern world after 14 years using XP and am delighted.

I would like to thank all the respondents who have helped me constructively on this thread and bid those who submitted unnecessary and derogatory remarks to have a nice day.
We'll see.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 22:31   #29
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
We'll see.
Hehe yes, Superhub ONE wasn't it? I hope the OP has got his PC right next to it, cause the Wi-Fi on those are shocking and the range drops off alarming fast with any distance.
Old 12-12-2018, 20:11   #30
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
We'll see.
I have already seen and am delighted.
My new PC works impeccably on WiFi about 5 feet away from my "modem"(pleased I give you all a good laugh) OK - Superhub 1 if that suits you better.

Oddly enough the speed is incredible - very fast.

So again I am grateful for the help that some posters gave me and over-the-moon with the WiFi and speed performance.

Oh I forgot - why have an unsightly USB cable to my desktop when with WiFi all I have is a single power cable, no matter how many USB sockets my "modem" has got.

Last edited by beaker17; 12-12-2018 at 20:15.