Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Horizon UI

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Horizon UI

Old 24-03-2018, 11:20   #16
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Horizon UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That was six years ago, surely we should have something a bit more modern!
Even six years ago, the Horizon UI looked more modern than the text based UI we have now! I'm sure the modern Horizon UI will be a big improvement on what we have at the moment..
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2018, 11:32   #17
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Horizon ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
it was announced publicly here is the link where i read it http://vmhd.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/t...-for-tivo.html
That is not a public statement but a media report about a comment made at a media conference. I repeat my statement that VM has not made a public statement about this and anything is just pure speculation at the moment.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 12:40   #18
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Though that video shows it to be glossy it doesn't look particularly good to use. It seems to be fancy transition animations for the sake of it being doable and attention grabbing. Rather have current V6 software, though it needs a tweak here and there, than that.

Ultimately I want a user interface that is fast, clear, intuitive, logical.
Large fonts with hardly any options on screen at a time is just as bad as cramming too many options on one screen. I don't want lots of graphics.

The trend for having a screen full of DVD box set covers is the wrong way to go in my opinion. These images tend to me cluttered and they all have different types and sizes of fonts and when the screen is full of them I just can't concentrate on one area.

I'd rather all writing in the user interface was limited to one, easy to read, system-wide font. That's partly why I change the channels from their logos to text in the Tivo EPG options.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 12:40   #19
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
That is not a public statement but a media report about a comment made at a media conference. I repeat my statement that VM has not made a public statement about this and anything is just pure speculation at the moment.
Tom Mockeridge has more or less confirmed that we will transition over to the Horizon UI. I don't really think there is much room for doubt as to which way we are going with this.

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bau...-report/418549
Old 24-03-2018, 15:55   #20
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
I think anything that CEO Tom Mockridge said on this subject publicly knowing it will be reported is certainly NOT speculation. The only thing that is not certain is the time frame.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:03   #21
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
I think anything that CEO Tom Mockridge said on this subject publicly knowing it will be reported is certainly NOT speculation. The only thing that is not certain is the time frame.
Yeah exactly I'm guessing it's almost 2 years since launch of V6 now not 100% sure but I wonder if it could possibly be the anniversary update for the V6 as virgin have always been useless at providing and ETA
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 16:08   #22
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Though that video shows it to be glossy it doesn't look particularly good to use. It seems to be fancy transition animations for the sake of it being doable and attention grabbing. Rather have current V6 software, though it needs a tweak here and there, than that.

Ultimately I want a user interface that is fast, clear, intuitive, logical.
Large fonts with hardly any options on screen at a time is just as bad as cramming too many options on one screen. I don't want lots of graphics.

The trend for having a screen full of DVD box set covers is the wrong way to go in my opinion. These images tend to me cluttered and they all have different types and sizes of fonts and when the screen is full of them I just can't concentrate on one area.

I'd rather all writing in the user interface was limited to one, easy to read, system-wide font. That's partly why I change the channels from their logos to text in the Tivo EPG options.
Apart from that video been 6 years old, it is also on a different box (Samsung) and for a different market. I should imagine the V6 implementation of Horizon will be a somewhat more updated 2018/19 version and to take advantage of the V6 capabilities, but also incorporating the more advanced bits of Tivo tech. And of course, twinked for the UK market with VM branding and colours.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 20:11   #23
KillerCroc1
cf.member

so we can all agree that since Tom Mockridge basically said its coming at a press conference ( publicly ) horizon ui is on its way hopefully at somepoint this year :-)
Old 24-03-2018, 20:53   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Why fix something that isn't broken?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 22:12   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
It's just dated.
Old 24-03-2018, 22:43   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

and ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 23:16   #27
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
and ?
What? Do you not understand that if you allow your product to be outdated, you will lose relevance?

We all rely on VM pricing and choice to be competitive. If they lose customers big time because they don't keep up, we will all suffer with a reduced level of service and/or increased costs.

That would not go down well with Arthur!

PS - they would definitely lose my custom!
Old 25-03-2018, 12:57   #28
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What? Do you not understand that if you allow your product to be outdated, you will lose relevance?

We all rely on VM pricing and choice to be competitive. If they lose customers big time because they don't keep up, we will all suffer with a reduced level of service and/or increased costs.

That would not go down well with Arthur!

PS - they would definitely lose my custom!
100% agree with what you said the UI is outdated and it will eventually put customers off if not updated so it has to happen also the windows version of the virgin go app pops up as horizon go and the program guide looks better on that not sure if it's anything to go by but the colour we have now on the V6 is gone i know web version but just maybe a sign of things to come
Old 25-03-2018, 22:13   #29
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Profit - cheaper to have one common UI across LGI.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 08:03   #30
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Profit - cheaper to have one common UI across LGI.
That also makes a great deal of sense, Andrew.