Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Irish referendum on abortion May 25 2018

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Irish referendum on abortion May 25 2018

Old 28-05-2018, 13:06   #16
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Irish referendum on abortion May 25 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
But how do the people who voted the other way view them 33.6% voted no .
You need to ask them, not me

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, well you see, that's why so many people voted to legalise it. To many people, abortion just means an operation to remove an unwanted fetus. The words used are deliberately designed to mask the stark reality and horror of the process.

Call it emotive if you like, but when you have an abortion, you are actually killing a baby.. To my mind, an abortion in the early weeks of pregnancy is one thing, but at 24 weeks of pregnancy it is fully formed and is clearly a baby. The criteria used is wrong - it shouldn't be based on viability outside the womb, it should be based on the baby's consciousness and ability to feel pain.

The stories of aborted babies struggling to breathe being left on a slab for hours to die are heartbreaking. Not very civilised, if you ask me.
Again you are painting a deliberately emotive and distorted picture of what was voted for, as Hugh pointed out.

Do you not think, as you believe for a far less decisive Brexit vote, that the "losers" should shut up and buy into the winning decision?
Old 28-05-2018, 20:19   #17
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't know about that. You think a man should not have a say about whether it should be legal to kill a child?
You could also say why should a man have a say on woman being forced to carry a child though the entire pregnancy?

Ultimately that's what is at the heart of the issue. The rights of a fetus/unborn child vs the rights of the woman. In the end I don't think society should compel women to carry children and all the medical consequences and risks that come with that.

Personally I question the point of a referendum on the rights of others.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 20:26   #18
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'd like to know why men had a vote, it has naff all to do with them.
You know when I saw your post yesterday I thought that it was so preposterous it was unworthy of response but now I realize how dangerous your line of thinking is.

I don't know whether you are biologically unaware of what it involves in regards to conception (guy inserting penis into the vagina of the woman) or you just think that prejudicial baring of people from voting is the way to go or perhaps you are so far gone that you are so okay with abortion that only the carrier's views are important but any and or all reasoning equates to your end view as disgusting.

Luckily though, you don't see the likes of me saying that no men should have no right to free speech even though I find your views repellent.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You could also say why should a man have a say on woman being forced to carry a child though the entire pregnancy?
If it is his baby why should only the mother have a right to determine whether the child is born or killed though?

Quote:
Ultimately that's what is at the heart of the issue. The rights of a fetus/unborn child vs the rights of the woman. In the end I don't think society should compel women to carry children and all the medical consequences and risks that come with that.
It comes down to an issue of ownership, every single time. If she has a right to kill her child, why don't the rest of us have that right, too? Does she get special dispensation just purely because she is carrying the child?

Quote:
Personally I question the point of a referendum on the rights of others.
I think that deep down it is to show that there is a decency among society to care enough about the value of others without a conflict of interest in their own outcome through it all that there is enough value above ones self. Sure if everything we voted about, was effecting what was in our own interest, we would continue to vote in favor of what benefited us, no? Unless we had a lot of selfless members of the electorate...which we clearly don't.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 20:34   #19
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
If it is his baby why should only the mother have a right to determine whether the child is born or killed though?
I am talking about the referendum itself although I am not fussed on the idea of men not voting in it, might as if well if there is going to be a vote. I am wondering if this is a wise question to put to referendum.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 20:42   #20
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era

Ahh, sorry for the conflation, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:00   #21
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

This is absolutely outstanding news for the DUP:

https://news.sky.com/story/some-sinn...laims-11392617

Quote:
In her first interview since Ireland's referendum on the issue, she told Sky News a lot of people were feeling "disenfranchised" by the result.

"I have had emails from Nationalists and Republicans in Northern Ireland not quite believing what is going on and saying they will be voting for the DUP because they believe we are the only party that supports the unborn," she said.

"There are many people who are shocked in the Republic of Ireland and whilst I completely acknowledge the result that happened last Saturday, that doesn't take away from the fact that there's a substantial minority of people who feel disenfranchised."

"There is only one party that is stopping us from doing all of that and bizarrely, that is Sinn Fein, the people who say they want change on in relation to abortion and in relation to same-sex marriage. You can't have it both ways," she added
I am as Catholic as they get but wow I would stand with Arlene over the likes of SF any day...I would hope that more and more Catholics defect from the Republic's version of Christianity (which has a fetish for abortion and homosexuality) and accept that it is Ulster that has gotten this correct.

Go Arlene!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:05   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not sure if I would regard as equal rights for gays as a ‘fetish for homosexuality’ myself - I have attended a number of friends’ weddings over the past few years (straight and gay) and I was just happy to see people in love being allowed to marry.

At no time did my wife and I feel we had a fetish for homosexuality during the ceremonies or the receptions - we just had a good time.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:05   #23
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

No, I did not mean fetish in a sexual sense. Just deviant, in general. They have a warped way of going about it in SF - though they are not the only ones.

For example through this latest referendum on abortion Mary Lou (new leader of the party) was pregnant. She would go ahead and rub her bump and then go ahead and say that it was a fundamental right of a woman "to chose". She didn't quite have a twinkle in her eye like a disturbing smile or something like Cuomo did but it was perverse.

I mean the publicity stunt of women in the north taking abortafative pills, when not even pregnant - what would you call that if not a fetish? (Not a sexual one, just an unhealthy obsession).

Same with gay marriage - any normal person would have their own views on the matter...for or against. Not them, no. SF think that it must be done with all the pomp and circumstance of explaining to clergy why gay marriage is the norm, say it in church - insist on it as a part of their Christian roots. I don't know what else to call it - intentional antagonism? Attention seeking? OCD?

Same with Ruth Davidson...she was warned time and again that it would cost her party seats in the next election if the Tories brought the gay marriage vote in. Did she listen?

Her basic response was "yes, I do agree that we need more outward aggression towards homosexuality". Then she went off to figure why the Tories got hammered by traditional voters:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/81...-Election-2017

I don't under any circumstances view your having a fetish on the issue - you are not hell bent on shoving it in the face of other people in an entirely antagonistic way what your views are on the matter. (When unsolicited).

SF though, along with the likes of Davidson / May etc all seem hell bent on trying their level best to get under the skin of those who do hold traditional views.

I honestly don't know what a better word than fetish is, to use. They have some depraved need to seek attention...what word best suits that? It is in no way any reference to someone who may support gay rights though - your average individual will leave it at that. Which is perfectly fine, whichever side you may take.
Old 03-06-2018, 21:11   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I'm not sure that it was bringing in the gay marriage vote that cost the Tories seats in the 2017 Election, as the Scottish Conservatives gained 12 seats in that election, when they were led by an openly gay woman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-40246332
Quote:
Ruth Davidson has just led the Scottish Conservatives to their best result in a Westminster election since 1983

And the Westminster vote is just the latest in a speedy hat-trick of electoral successes for Ms Davidson.

She has delivered huge improvements for her party in Scottish Parliament and local authority elections in 2016 and 2017 respectively, leapfrogging Labour into second place in both polls.
Old 03-06-2018, 21:20   #25
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Yeah I mean I made that as part of my statement before and then after the election - the Tories are not only being propped up by the DUP but the failure of the SNP in Scotland. If Sturgeon had hung on to maybe 3 of those seats, May would not be PM today. Their failure allows her to cling onto her seat.

They were offset by huge losses in the UK though where traditional Tory voters all just did not get out to vote.

That gay marriage vote cost Cameron - he placated the Euro-skeptics in his party in 2015 and they went out and voted for him but after the gay marriage vote traditional voters just would not go near the man. They gave him a majority in 2015 to get what they could out of him but will never go near the Tory party again after this.

I do not know how much stock to put into articles like this but it was clear how much the older generation loathed Cameron for his vote on gay marriage:

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/...he-referendum/

Quote:
The same is true for gay marriage. So many who voted Leave opposed gay marriage. True, many of us had serous doubts about David Cameron from the beginning but it was the railroading of gay marriage under the ‘Conservative’ banner during the Coalition that finally and completely lost us from the Cameron camp. After the casual dismissal of deeply held concerns, David Cameron could never again count on the personal support of so many instinctive Conservatives. Like the poll tax before it, gay marriage lost Cameron more political support than it gained. When the big issue – the EU referendum – came along, there was no trust, no personal loyalty and no personal support for the Prime Minister. Had he handled gay marriage differently, likely he would have won the EU referendum and still been in office.
Scotland doesn't seem to have as much of a traditional mindset so it didn't effect Scottish seats directly but the gay marriage vote did, as a whole.

Even then, though gay marriage is one thing but the way that Sinn Fein go about life is just outright filth. The same way with abortion / the Irish language / Orange day / the EU etc etc. It is like one big circus act.

Last edited by Chloé Palmas; 03-06-2018 at 21:25.
Old 03-06-2018, 22:40   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Chloe, you state
Quote:
They were offset by huge losses in the UK though where traditional Tory voters all just did not get out to vote.
However, the Tory voting figures for the last three General Elections were -

2010 - 10,703,754 - 36.1%
2015 - 11,334,226 - 36.9%
2017 - 13,636,684 - 42.4%

So, the Tory vote has increased over the last two elections, and by over 2.3 million in the last election.

Also, according to Ipsos MORI’s analysis of the 2017 election, The Conservatives held on to 90% of their 2015 voters, whilst gaining 15% of LibDem and 60% of UKIP voters from the 2015 election.

In the 45+ age groups, the Tory % of the vote rose from 2015.

45-54 +7%
55-64 +14%
65+ . +14%

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-...-2017-election
Quote:
The Conservatives and Labour both held on to around nine-tenths of their 2015 vote. However, only half of 2015 Liberal Democrat voters stuck with the party this time (30% went to Labour, 15% to the Conservatives), while six in ten UKIP voters from 2015 switched to Theresa May’s party (only two in ten voted UKIP again).
Old 03-06-2018, 22:51   #27
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

The 2017 vote increase in % of vote was mainly because of the collapse of parties like UKIP - they only ran in how many constituencies in 2017?

In 2015 (despite the gay marriage vote) a lot were sold on the idea of the EU referendum - all those then went and voted to leave. They had no loyalty to the Tory brand / Cameron's desire to remain...heck I think some of that vote was just to spite him.

They got what they wanted, then they stayed at home in 2017 - of the millions who voted for UKIP in the last election, how many went to the Tories? in 2015 UKIP won nearly 4 million votes.

In 2017 the Tories gained 2M+ on the last election...a lot of them were from UKIP. On their raw vote from 2015 (less the UKIP voters returning - who were likely the older voters) they lost votes - without the returning UKIP voters, they would have lost a net total of votes from 2015.

UKIP wipeout (even at 60 % of 3.8 million) is why their vote total increased...and yes that 15% of LD voters. Without that, the raw total is dropping and that will play out in the next few elections.

1. Because some of the elder generation still voting for them will pass away.

2. Because all those other votes (from other parties) are already factored into a base vote in the new 2017 totals - no way do the Tories match 13.6 million.