Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 12-04-2020, 11:50   #91
watercooled
cf.member

watercooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

@Sephiroth

Sorry to repeat myself if you saw it. I believe you have the gigabit service from VM? Does anything show up on your connection stats to indicate OFDM? I'm really curious about this as the stats I've seen posted over at VM's forums only seem to show the standard SC-QAM channels.
watercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2020, 13:24   #92
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
@Sephiroth

Sorry to repeat myself if you saw it. I believe you have the gigabit service from VM? Does anything show up on your connection stats to indicate OFDM? I'm really curious about this as the stats I've seen posted over at VM's forums only seem to show the standard SC-QAM channels.
Nothing in the stats indicate OFDM. But then the DOCSIS 3.1 standard is OFDM; the standard allows all the modulations of earlier DOCSIS versions to be used (VM uses 256QAM currently, giving future scope for increase). The Upstream is DOCSIS 3.0 hence STDMA.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 13:57   #93
watercooled
cf.member

I understand a modem can lock to both SC-QAM and OFDM carriers simultaneously so it's not surprising we still see the standard channels, but I expected to at least see an OFDM block locked too.

I mean in theory they could do gigabit with 32 bonded QAMs but I would have thought it was pushing it if more than a few people signed up to it in one area.

I'm half thinking it's just a GUI bug not showing it rather than it actually not being there.

It's a totally different channel plan though so I don't think the 256QAM SC-QAM channels tell us anything - that's the max constellation size for 3.0 as far as I know?

From what I remember reading, the new LDPC error correction allows (in theory) 4096QAM to be utilised where 256QAM would have been used with Reed Solomon, with similar noise levels and giving similar BER, etc. But 3.1 also allows channels to operate at different modulation rates where necessary.

For what it's worth, I found this as an example of what you'd expect to see on a 3.1 modem locked to OFDM blocks (still using 3.0 upstream though) https://pickmymodem.com/signal-level...1-cable-modem/

Edit: This post and the next one mention it - perhaps it is a firmware thing? But apparently some information is exposed in the network logs rather than being explicitly show on the stats pages. Weird!

Last edited by watercooled; 12-04-2020 at 14:15.
Old 12-04-2020, 14:48   #94
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Ah - the OFDM channel would be the "UNSUPPORTED" channel 1, which should be reported as OFDM. That seems likely to be a firmware adjustment to report OFDM.

EDIT: To be sure of my reply, I've put the question onto the VM forum.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...212325#M275136

Last edited by Sephiroth; 12-04-2020 at 14:56.
Old 12-04-2020, 15:22   #95
watercooled
cf.member

I've just realised my last post doesn't read back too well, I just kept adding bits as I was thinking of them!

I'll follow your post, see if you get any responses.
Old 05-05-2020, 19:20   #96
m47een
cf.member

Services: 350 MB BB
m47een is an unknown quantity at this point

I called up to upgrade to the Gig1 service but was told that I have to sign up for a bundle package. I'm currently getting the broadband and phone service.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Gig1 without signing up for a TV bundle?
m47een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 19:39   #97
watercooled
cf.member

As far as I know it is available as a standalone package unlike the 500Mb service - I'd be challenging this unless you were given a good deal. Standard price should be £62 per month

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html
Old 06-05-2020, 09:56   #98
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

According to the VM main site, M1000 is available in Coventry and some surrounding areas like Rugby and Atherstone. When I type in my postcode, only M200 or less shows up as a available. Why is this?

Last edited by roughbeast; 06-05-2020 at 10:00.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:12   #99
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Because it's not available to your postcode specifically?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 14:38   #100
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Because it's not available to your postcode specifically?
I took the plunge and waited 45 minutes to get through to a human, as expected in the current situation. My new router arrives on Saturday. The M1000 services begins then. I was able to get the package tailor-made, i.e. I'm dropping Sky and BT Sport and Sky Movies permanently, but I am keeping my two V6 boxes and the unlimited SIM.

I am not surprised that the operative said that this was her first chance to move someone onto a M1000 package. How would anyone in Coventry know it is available?
Old 06-05-2020, 14:43   #101
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

It showed up as available in my postcode, until I clicked "order", then it loaded M350 saying the product I ordered wasnt available !

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 15:39   #102
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I don't think Virgin pushes the top tier services that hard, especially when a new technology is involved. The people who want it probably already know about it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 20:14   #103
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I don't think Virgin pushes the top tier services that hard, especially when a new technology is involved. The people who want it probably already know about it.
Why would that be? I'm hoping that your answer isn't that they don't push new technologies because they are uncertain that the network would be able to cope with many customers accessing new technology.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It showed up as available in my postcode, until I clicked "order", then it loaded M350 saying the product I ordered wasnt available !
Try a direct call to CS.

Last edited by roughbeast; 07-05-2020 at 20:21.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:09   #104
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
we should defo be able to get 500mbits. I have been able to get it for yonks and choose not to because the upstream is the same as 350.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:08   #105
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I'm content with my 1000/50. It's around the 900/52 mark most of the time. The upstream is a vast improvement of what it was last year (200/12 meg) and noticeably better that when upstream rose to 20 meg. My large content emails go very quickly.

Incidentally the merger between O2 & VM potentially presents consumers with a problem. 5G is seen as a rival to broadband; now one of them will either vie for dominance or they will collaborate to manage the market.