Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Roaming charges look set to return after Brexit.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Roaming charges look set to return after Brexit.

Old 01-11-2018, 21:08   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Roaming charges look set to return after Brexit.

The UK Government will not enforce the ban on mobile roaming charges for British citizens travelling in the EU after Brexit, a cross-party committee of MPs has warned.

The EU's ban on mobile roaming charges for voice, text messages and data has meant using a smartphone on the continent is the same cost as using it at home. But the House of Commons EU Scrutiny Committee said in a report that this is unlikely to remain in place for the UK following withdrawal.

It will mean that network operators will be the ones to decide whether to re-introduce roaming charges on UK customers, following their abolition last year across the whole EU.

UK consumers will also not benefit from proposed price caps for international calls between EU countries, due initially to be set at 16p a minute for calls and 5p for a text message.

The EU decided to introduce the cap after finding that telecoms companies were charging mark-ups for international calls that were "not justifiable", said the report.

"It is probable that mobile roaming charges – abolished on an intra-EU basis – will return, and that, even where they do not, increased wholesale roaming costs incurred by UK providers may be passed on to UK consumers indirectly," the cross-party committee warned.

"Post-exit, consumers should consider the roaming policies of their mobile operators extremely carefully before signing new contracts or using roaming services, as there will be potential for roaming charges much higher than those which preceded the EU's latest regulatory intervention to be applied."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8609271.html
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2018, 22:28   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Roaming charges look set to return after Brexit.

I’ve not paid roaming charges in the EU since long before the ban. Vodafone, and others, have offered roaming for years on some tariffs.

Hopefully idiots start running up bills of hundreds of pounds though, subsidises the service for those who aren’t stupid enough to not understand our tariffs. Good news for investors too.

Last edited by jfman; 01-11-2018 at 22:42.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:44   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Vodafone and a couple of other networks have already stated they will NOT be reintroducing roaming charges for the EU.

To be honest any UK mobile network would be silly to try and add them again. they would loose too many customers.

also there are many networks that have free roaming in USA, Canada, Australia and a few other countries.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...obile_roaming/
Quote:
The government would pass legislation to ensure that charges remained capped £45 and the usage alerts will remain. It will, however, not legislate to prevent surcharges and instead pointed to the promises of the kindly telco operators that customers aren't about to get gouged.

The Register spoke to the UK's four biggest operators for their thoughts on the matter.

EE told us that it offers "inclusive roaming in Europe and beyond, and we don't have any plans to change these offers" and O2 said it has "no plans to change our roaming services across Europe".

Vodafone were unable to resist reminding us that it was the first UK operator to abolish EU charges and that it had "no plans to introduce these charges" while Three's position remains that it will continue "allowing our customers to continue using their usual allowances when they travel within the EU".

Having no plans to reintroduce charges is, of course, quite different to promising that charges are not going to make a reappearance.

Last edited by Stephen; 02-11-2018 at 09:48.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:47   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

That's good to know for those who use this service.

When i'm abroad I usually just buy a local PAYG SIM for the duration; I can't understand why others don't do this.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:38   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

When i'm abroad I usually just buy a local PAYG SIM for the duration; I can't understand why others don't do this.
Because for EU countries, we don't need to, and non-EU countries I've paid between £2 and £5 per day for unlimited data and normal text/call allowance (I've done this in Dubai, USA, Australia, recently).

Not having to worry about data usage (for maps, tourist information, bookings, check ins, etc.) makes it more than worth it for me.

ymmv
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:34   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

As there are no EU roaming charges now, why would you need to do that now?
Old 02-11-2018, 13:51   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

When it's not a EU country.
Old 02-11-2018, 14:50   #8
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:

Problems with 2-factor authentication, most services use text messages so you'd need to swap your SIM back to use this.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 15:25   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
When it's not a EU country.
Some networks offer a fixed charge per day to use your home allowances.
Old 02-11-2018, 16:19   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Some networks offer a fixed charge per day to use your home allowances.
Never knew that, i'll bear that in mind.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:34   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Posts deleted. Please all stick to the topic at hand and don't get personal. That goes for everyone!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:00   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It's bizarre that out of all the Brexit issues people see this as high on their list of priorities, it's the least of our worries.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 21:14   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I think it could be a deal breaker with young people, but otherwise I don't think it will be the highest concern for most people.
Old 03-11-2018, 21:23   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think it could be a deal breaker with young people, but otherwise I don't think it will be the highest concern for most people.
The problem here Richard is that you put it forward as fact without anything to back it up.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that roaming charges will return.

If you have evidence that they will then please present it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 23:40   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It's been said that it's likely that they will return.