Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 12-01-2019, 19:07   #1156
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading "The Reality Dysfunction" by Peter Hamilton. Read it years ago, and since it was on special (along with the other books in the trilogy) on amazon a while ago, I thought I'd revisit it.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2019, 19:26   #1157
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The Sumerians: A History From Beginning to End.
Old 12-01-2019, 19:35   #1158
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
I'm reading "The Reality Dysfunction" by Peter Hamilton. Read it years ago, and since it was on special (along with the other books in the trilogy) on amazon a while ago, I thought I'd revisit it.
One of my favourite SF authors (along with Scalzi, Asher, Varley, Haldeman, Niven (and a few more)).

I wasn’t too keen on his Void Trilogy, but he’s back on form (imho) with the Salvation Sequence (only the first one, Salvation, is out at the moment).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 23:38   #1159
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
One of my favourite SF authors (along with Scalzi, Asher, Varley, Haldeman, Niven (and a few more)).

I wasn’t too keen on his Void Trilogy, but he’s back on form (imho) with the Salvation Sequence (only the first one, Salvation, is out at the moment).
The void trilogy was ok - preferred the chronicles of the fallers, though set in the same universe. Enjoyed the star flyer series, and his standalone books. Waiting for salvation to drop in price.

Never been able to get into Asher.
Old 13-01-2019, 00:02   #1160
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If you like Military SF, I would recommend the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos - 6 books (and a couple of short stories), with some more to come.

Also, try the John Birmingham Axis of Time trilogy, where a US Navy task force from 2030 goes back to the Pacific in the early 40s - it’s not just techno-warfare (although there is lots of that), it’s also about the culture clashes between the ethics and lifestyles of 21st century people with those of the 1940s - 3 books (with another coming out soon), and quite a few short stories.

And for something completely different, the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which are London Met Police procedurals, with magic and snarky dialogue - very enjoyable.

Last edited by Hugh; 13-01-2019 at 00:08.
Old 13-01-2019, 11:53   #1161
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If you like Military SF, I would recommend the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos - 6 books (and a couple of short stories), with some more to come.

Also, try the John Birmingham Axis of Time trilogy, where a US Navy task force from 2030 goes back to the Pacific in the early 40s - it’s not just techno-warfare (although there is lots of that), it’s also about the culture clashes between the ethics and lifestyles of 21st century people with those of the 1940s - 3 books (with another coming out soon), and quite a few short stories.

And for something completely different, the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which are London Met Police procedurals, with magic and snarky dialogue - very enjoyable.
Thanks! - I'll take a look at them
Old 13-01-2019, 12:31   #1162
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones.

Yes I know it is aimed at Teenagers, but she writes a good story, which is what matters to me.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 13:19   #1163
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Currently reading Tombland by C J Sansom - latest in the Shardlake series of books - great read if you like historical mysteries (if you don't it's still brilliant).
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 13:32   #1164
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Cable Forum amongst other websites, i haven't read 1 of these paperbook things since i was 18 and i am now 50!
Old 13-01-2019, 13:47   #1165
gba93
ofc.founder_member

gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Cable Forum amongst other websites, i haven't read 1 of these paperbook things since i was 18 and i am now 50!
You don't know what you're missing.
Old 13-01-2019, 13:52   #1166
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
l read downloaded Kindle books as its easier to read from for me.
Old 13-01-2019, 13:54   #1167
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l read downloaded Kindle books as its easier to read from for me.
I am the same - I read books (and newspapers/magazines that I am subscribed to) on my iPad Pro, and on my Kindle Paperwhite if outside in bright sunshine.
Old 13-01-2019, 14:25   #1168
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
You don't know what you're missing.
I feel i don't have the time to do any reading, i would rather browse the internet binge watch TV shows on Kodi or play the PS4 as well as go out when i have other free time with my other half. All this is while working a week of early shifts and then a week of late shifts which knackers me.

To make time i would have to stop one of those which i am not prepared to do, now if i didn't have to go out to work it maybe different.
Old 13-01-2019, 20:50   #1169
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Quote:
I feel i don't have the time to do any reading, i would rather browse the internet binge watch TV shows on Kodi or play the PS4 as well as go out when i have other free time with my other half. All this is while working a week of early shifts and then a week of late shifts which knackers me.

To make time i would have to stop one of those which i am not prepared to do, now if i didn't have to go out to work it maybe different.
I prefer to read than play PS4 games but each to his own - providing you're getting enjoyment from what you do I'd be the last to criticise.
Old 11-02-2019, 18:56   #1170
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Why We Get the Wrong Politicians - Isabel Hardman
Made in Scotland - Billy Connolly
(re-reading) The Ringworld Series - Larry Niven (Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, Ringworld Throne, Ringworld’s Children)
Finest Years (Churchill as Warlord 1940-45) - Max Hastings