Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 02-07-2008, 17:05   #481
kangaroosterrier
Inactive

kangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
The film is great and well worth a watch with some great performances. Didn't even know this was from a book. Is it a true story ?

Reading The Brethren by John Grisham, seen loads of films based on his books but never read one until last year on hols that was left behind. This one is a great read too very easy to read and get into
Not a true story but could just as well have been. Definately written as though it's the childhood autobiography of Charlie Fox (the narrator) whose father decides it's a fine idea to leave civilisation for the Honduran jungle. Paul Theroux's an excellent writer. Grisham's good too, though for legal thrillers I prefer Scott Turow.
kangaroosterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 01:41   #482
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

I'm reading the Palladin of Shadows series from John Ringo, it's pretty good, though can be a little graphic as can all military scifi. Basically I enjoy reading most of the works that come from baen books, not to mention that in MS Reader format they are quite portable (especially with an 8Gb card in my PDA phone) not to mention free (The fifth imperium site has permission from baen to host the CDs, plus baen books make some titles available for free in the baen free library)

As soon as I sort out the last of the paperwork to get to the US permanently I am going to try to buy most of those books, as I do like the feel of paper in my hands when reading, but for sheer portability, ebooks work for me.

David Drake is another good author, 'The Far Side of the Stars' is a good read, available in audio book format here (34 chapters to download as mp3 unfortunately) and here in MS Reader, HTML, MobiPocket reader formats. (again, free)
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 06:41   #483
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Damn, this was hard to find.

I've just finished reading Dearly Devoted Dexter. A very good book, a lot of humour. Just as good as the first, may be better. I recommend it to anyone who has read the first.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 07:16   #484
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Re-reading The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder.

It's the story of the development of the Data General Eclipse MV/8000 32 bit minicomputer.

Despite appearances, a fascinating human story which won the Pulitzer prize...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 07:47   #485
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
Despite appearances, a fascinating human story which won the Pulitzer prize...

Ah, the age old story - boy meets girl, boy builds machine, boy leaves girl to spend more time with machine.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 20:10   #486
Etern1ty
Inactive

Etern1ty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, in my life I read only one book in English, it was Sidney Sheldon, mm, "Tell me your dreams". For me, there are about 15 unknown words on one page, but I understand whole idea And I happy
Etern1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 21:37   #487
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Iron Sunrise, by Charles Stross (sequel to Singularity Sky).

Just re-read Old Man's War, then Ghost Brigades, by John Scalzi.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 00:12   #488
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

"Fingerprints of the Gods" (revised edition) by Graham Hancock.

Spectacular yet legitimate ideas challenging the rigid orthodoxy of Egyptologists & ancient historians?

Or a load of nonsense, no better than tales of Atlantis, ancient astronauts, reptoid conspiracies, etc.?

I dunno, but it's very interesting, nonetheless. And I think he makes some good points.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51   #489
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I dunno, but it's very interesting, nonetheless. And I think he makes some good points.
Yeah, he does - and I do enjoy reading those sorts of books - but their reasoning is sometimes just a house of cards, usually based on what they 'proved' in a previous book - 'Because I proved x in my last book, that means y is also correct'
It's like all non fiction books, you just show the results that prove your argument...
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:26   #490
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Saturn's Children - Charles Stross
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02   #491
kangaroosterrier
Inactive

kangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enoughkangaroosterrier will become famous soon enough

Long Walk To Freedom--Nelson Mandela.

Never got round to it before even though I love biographies. Reading it as part of my research for one of two books I'm working on at the moment but am involved in the story more than I expected. Well written in an easy style and very enjoyable. Will need to reread it to glean the required information as now I'm too immersed in the story as entertainment and I don't want to spoil it by having a clinical/academic approach to the man's life.
kangaroosterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:13   #492
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Nation by Terry Pratchett

An interesting discworld departure, looking at culture differences and how people handle disasters amongst other things. Also very funny in the usual Pratchett way.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:14   #493
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I've just received Charles Stross' "The Atrocity Archives" & "The Jennifer Morgue" from Amazon
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:16   #494
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

MARS - Ben Bova. But it looks like it'll take ages to listen to.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:49   #495
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

The Web Application Hackers Handbook:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Applicat...0852919&sr=8-1

Then I'm going to read Nation by Terry Pratchett.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote