Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 09-05-2020, 15:25   #121
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I have this routine when I get a new hub or new firmware.

In router mode, I go through all the menus to see what's what and copy/paste them into Visio for reference. Then I do the speed tests. Then move to modem mode and the speed tests.

Yes, but you are Seph and I am roughy. One day, I will go about things in a sensible and methodical way.

What I may do, just for a while, is demote my AC88U to AP mode, with SH4 in router mode and using all its Ethernet ports to feed my network. The ASUS will still function as a media server for me.

Meanwhile, I will research decent routers with a much higher WAN to LAN throughput.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2020, 15:46   #122
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Yes, but you are Seph and I am roughy. One day, I will go about things in a sensible and methodical way.

What I may do, just for a while, is demote my AC88U to AP mode, with SH4 in router mode and using all its Ethernet ports to feed my network. The ASUS will still function as a media server for me.

Meanwhile, I will research decent routers with a much higher WAN to LAN throughput.
Good luck with that, Roughie. Being Seph, it's the first thing I did! The Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 has a 2.5 Gig LAN/WAN port as does the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

But the Hub 4 won't deliver more than 1 Gig.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 17:09   #123
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Good luck with that, Roughie. Being Seph, it's the first thing I did! The Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 has a 2.5 Gig LAN/WAN port as does the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

That's the rub!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 19:11   #124
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Looking at both of those models and then again at the one I have already got, it is no surprise that we sometimes end up getting routers with specs that don't match what we think we need. All three models, on ordinary retail sites, show that they have 1Gb WAN capability. To the average punter there would seem to be no reason for looking at WAN to LAN throughput. To us regular punters there is no point having a 1Gb WAN port if the throughput to Ethernet LAN is less than 1Gb. Throughput is very rarely specified. Neither can I see whether the two models you highlighted feature a VPN server facility. I will have to dig deeper.
Old 09-05-2020, 19:28   #125
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/R...re-GT-AX11000/

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/us/asus...view-6373.html
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 20:42   #126
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

As per mon General, VPN is supported.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 21:06   #127
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Yeah, the gigabit only ports on the HUB4 are a massive disappointment for me. May as well stick around the lesser tiers until the HUB5 comes along.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 22:53   #128
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Yeah, it's a pre-hobbled device.

Though if they could handle link aggregation and whack it in a firmware update then that might be a solution, plenty of higher spec routers can do it.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 00:31   #129
watercooled
cf.member

watercooled is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd be hard pressed to find a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with >Gb ports at the moment. Some of them will do port bonding but I'm not aware of any with 2.5G or higher ports.
watercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 00:40   #130
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I think I've seen a modem with a 2.5G port, but no hubs from what I remember. Hopefully they'll start to be more popular.

Even routers with 2.5G ports are few and far between.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:26   #131
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

I have switched to router mode on the Hub 4. I now get 950Mb on the Ookla Speedtest App.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:00   #132
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that is really really annoying and they need to look into that asap. The conspiracy theorist in me says they have done that on purpose to try and force people into using router mode hoping they get used to it and they can ditch modem mode going forward. Well it ain't gonna happen. I would happily lose speed if it means I can use a proper router. Also, that is the second router which is now reporting differently than smallnetbuilder
Old 11-05-2020, 20:41   #133
Kushan

I don't think anyone can blame Virgin on this one. Their supplier doesn't have anything better, really. https://www.commscope.com/product-ty...1#ProductsList

They don't offer a hub with 2.5G ports. They have some 3.1 modems with a 2.5G port, but those aren't gateways (Hubs). The majority of Virgin's customers use the hub without an external router.
Old 11-05-2020, 20:57   #134
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The majority of Virgin's customers use the hub without an external router.
I would love to see some updated stats on that. Enough of us must to be using modem mode to make it viable for them.
Old 11-05-2020, 21:33   #135
Kushan

Modem mode is for the enthusiasts for sure, but most people don't use a separate router. Most people aren't technical enough.