Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 08-05-2020, 14:25   #106
watercooled
cf.member

watercooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

That was said about 4G and 3G before that, and it makes as little sense now as it ever has. Line-of-sight speed tests to an empty cell are one thing, real-world network performance when people actually starting loading down the network is quite another.

Generational network upgrades allow fixed and mobile networks to keep usable pace with one another, but are not direct competitors nor replacements except in a few edge cases.

BT are perhaps best placed for a view of both markets at the moment, and they're hardly slowing on either fixed or mobile.

If Virgin/O2 were to slacken off on either fixed or mobile, they would be pushed out of the market by their substantial rivals - three sizeable competitors are pushing 5G rollouts and the national FTTP rollout is gaining momentum. As it stands, Virgin's network is very well placed to compete in this market and it's not in their interest to give up their customer base to competitors who would happily take it from them.
watercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2020, 11:11   #107
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I have taken delivery of my Hub 4 and have set up in modem-only mode. All seems to be running OK, but speed tests are maxing at just under 700Mb. All my Ethernet, cards, routers and switches are of gigabyte standard.

I will wait for 24 hours for things to settle down before investigating.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39   #108
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
speed tests are maxing at just under 700Mb
just because your router has got gigabit ports on it doesn't mean that it is going to give you gigabits speeds; there are other factors at play. For example, my Asus router has gigabit ports on it but I know it can only do something around 780mbits max. Depending what real world speed I achieved if I upgraded to 1000mb it would make me consider whether to invest in a replacement router or not. If I got 700mbits I wouldn't be too worried about feeling like I am losing out on 300mbits because you have got to ask yourself how often you are actually going to hit 1000mbits and depending what you are downloading file size wise it might last all of a few seconds. If I got 1000mbits (isn't available yet) I would be getting it for the increased upload speed and not the download speed.

If you let me know which router you have got I'll look it up for you and let you know what the wan to lan throughput is.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:46   #109
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have taken delivery of my Hub 4 and have set up in modem-only mode. All seems to be running OK, but speed tests are maxing at just under 700Mb. All my Ethernet, cards, routers and switches are of gigabyte standard.

I will wait for 24 hours for things to settle down before investigating.
What was the best speed in router mode, Roughie? That's how I tested in the first instance back in January.

In router mode I got 965/55.

In modem mode, the best I've got is 912/53 connected to an ASUS AC68U.

Ridiculous thing is that the sales guy on the phone said I could expect 1.2 Gbps! As if the Hub 4 had extra legs.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
just because your router has got gigabit ports on it doesn't mean that it is going to give you gigabits speeds; there are other factors at play. For example, my Asus router has gigabit ports on it but I know it can only do something around 780mbits max. Depending what real world speed I achieved if I upgraded to 1000mb it would make me consider whether to invest in a replacement router or not. If I got 700mbits I wouldn't be too worried about feeling like I am losing out on 300mbits because you have got to ask yourself how often you are actually going to hit 1000mbits and depending what you are downloading file size wise it might last all of a few seconds. If I got 1000mbits (isn't available yet) I would be getting it for the increased upload speed and not the download speed.

If you let me know which router you have got I'll look it up for you and let you know what the wan to lan throughput is.
That's the conundrum, mon General.

Smallnetbuilder says the AC68U has a WAN throughput of 750 Mbps.
Clearly my router has bust that reaching 912 Mbps download on Ookla and under present conditions is usually over 800 Mbps.

Btw, I like the 50 meg upload.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:57   #110
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's the conundrum, mon General.

Smallnetbuilder says the AC68U has a WAN throughput of 750 Mbps.
Clearly my router has bust that reaching 912 Mbps download on Ookla and under present conditions is usually over 800 Mbps.

Btw, I like the 50 meg upload
very interesting because I was just going to question that. I have got the same router as you and I looked it up on smallnetbuilder before I bought it just to see what the limitations were. I want 1000mbits now just to satisfy my curiosity and see what it can actually do.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:01   #111
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
very interesting because I was just going to question that. I have got the same router as you and I looked it up on smallnetbuilder before I bought it just to see what the limitations were. I want 1000mbits now just to satisfy my curiosity and see what it can actually do.
Now you know! I'm going to upgrade shortly to an AX model so that the iPhone 11 (that I flash about in Waitrose Stamford) can take advantage.

Old 09-05-2020, 13:08   #112
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I wasn't particularly complaining about getting less than expected speeds at this stage, but it would be good to see that the connection is behaving properly.

I have an ASUS RT-AC88U - capable of more than 1GB.
Old 09-05-2020, 13:12   #113
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
I wasn't particularly complaining about getting less than expected speeds at this stage, but it would be good to see that the connection is behaving properly.

I have an ASUS RT-AC88U - capable of more than 1GB.
.... but not on the WAN side and, of course, it is subject to the maximum WAN speed of the Hub 4.

Old 09-05-2020, 13:33   #114
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
.... but not on the WAN side and, of course, it is subject to the maximum WAN speed of the Hub 4.
Surely the WAN port being RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT makes the AC88U capable of 1000Mbps.
Old 09-05-2020, 13:41   #115
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Surely the WAN port being RJ45 for Gigabits BaseT makes the AC88U capable of 1000Mbps.
Yes - but not "capable of more than 1 Gbps" on trhe WAN side, which is how I read your earlier post.

Old 09-05-2020, 13:46   #116
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes - but not "capable of more than 1 Gbps" on trhe WAN side, which is how I read your earlier post.
OK sorry. So, I should be getting close to 1000Mbps if the Hub 4 is capable of dishing it out.

In answer to an earlier question:- No I didn't test the Hub 4 in router mode first; such was my confidence in the AC88U. I might try that later when the household has gone to sleep.
Old 09-05-2020, 14:38   #117
General Maximus
Ran Away

I am curious to see what you can get dude. Up and till now I have never known anyone to achieve more than what the charts say so let us know if you can get more. I really want to see what I can do as well but I have checked the VM site and the max tier I can get is M500.

If anyone is interested this is the VM 1gbit page and there is a postcode checker for availability. Atm it looks like it is very limited and the lockdown has no doubt put a dampener on things.

Last edited by General Maximus; 09-05-2020 at 14:45.
Old 09-05-2020, 15:00   #118
watercooled
cf.member

watercooled is an unknown quantity at this point

Even with 1Gbps Ethernet throughput it won't generally be reported as such in speed tests. Factoring in TCP/IP overheads and without jumbo frames you're probably going to see something more like 930-940Mbps reported in tests (depending on what exactly they're measuring).

The DOCSIS profile is in excess of 1Gbps but you're not going to see that in modem mode when limited to a single gigabit port.

I do wonder how some routers will behave e.g. in terms of latency and QoS when they're maxed out in terms of forwarding throughput.
watercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 15:04   #119
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
OK sorry. So, I should be getting close to 1000Mbps if the Hub 4 is capable of dishing it out.

In answer to an earlier question:- No I didn't test the Hub 4 in router mode first; such was my confidence in the AC88U. I might try that later when the household has gone to sleep.
I have this routine when I get a new hub or new firmware.

In router mode, I go through all the menus to see what's what and copy/paste them into Visio for reference. Then I do the speed tests. Then move to modem mode and the speed tests.

Old 09-05-2020, 15:05   #120
General Maximus
Ran Away

If anyone looks for a new router which can get closer to 1gbit be very careful as to where you chose to source your information. I have just done a quick google to see if there have been any reviews and tests done specifically for routers that can do 1gbit wan to lan and this website came up as one of the top search results.

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/re...ternet-routers

At a cursory glance it looks professional and legit but the information is obviously a load of twaddle. I have checked on smallnetbuilder and the Asus AC5300 comes out at 937mbits which would be good enough for me. If I was looking at one seriously I would check to see if newer models have been released since and what the stats are.