Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What are you reading?

Old 14-03-2016, 18:33   #1126
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I would like to heartily second Hugh's recommendation for Axis of Time.

I am not usually a fan of alternate history but AoT was one hell of a page turner.

Apart from the initial premise you can forget all about The Philadelphia Experiment. It is not even in the same street.
I was more thinking of "The Final Countdown" film in 1980 where a modern day aircraft carrier ernds up back in 1941 just before Pearl Harbour attack.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2016, 19:29   #1127
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
Being and Time, Martin Heidegger.

I doubt it's a popular choice on here with so many Sci-Fi and fiction fans. But such a enriching read.
You may enjoy Bruce's Philosophy Song, then...

http://youtu.be/l9SqQNgDrgg
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:31   #1128
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Stumbled upon a great series of books by a guy called Richard Raymond Haywood (RR Haywood)
The Undead
A deadly infection spreads across Europe. The Undead series: a terrifying account of one man desperately struggling to survive this harrowing event day by day. Part one - days one to three.
Howie is at home on a rare Friday night off work when an infection which has rapidly spread across Europe hits his hometown on the South Coast of England. Luck sees him through the first night when many others are taken down and infected, only to rise again as the undead. In surviving, Howie quickly learns and evolves, developing a new set of skills that will save him from disaster.
With a former work colleague, Dave, at his side, he braves the urban squalor of a ruined Portsmouth and begins to understand his desire to remain good in a world rapidly descending into chaos, where only the strongest survive.

http://rrhaywood.com

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Undead-First...7888405&sr=1-1

Read up to day 13 so far and I cant recommend this series enough if your into ZomPoc.
Sounds like a day in the life of Osborne and Cameron.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 17:18   #1129
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I was more thinking of "The Final Countdown" film in 1980 where a modern day aircraft carrier ernds up back in 1941 just before Pearl Harbour attack.
Ah..OK Kymmy, although I'm sure TFC was, at least, inspired by TPE.

TFC is indeed a little closer to AoT but is still not in the same street IMHO.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 19:15   #1130
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The instructions for my first Colon Cancer test kit.

"1 in 20 will get bowel cancer" and "testing reduces the chance of death by 16%".

Very reassuring.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:13   #1131
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

50% of the way through book #1 of AoT, quite enjoying the reverse techy feel to it
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:29   #1132
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Just completing the Jack Nightingale series by Stephen Leather.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 23:16   #1133
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The 4th book in the Frontline series, Chains of Command, by Markos Kloos.

Free e-arc available from NetGalley (I found out about it from his Twitter feed).

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
50% of the way through book #1 of AoT, quite enjoying the reverse techy feel to it
Glad you're enjoying it.

There's a short story available, Stalin's Hammer:Rome, and a couple more are coming out soon.

Freebie stories available on his blog - http://cheeseburgergothic.com/
Old 26-03-2016, 17:16   #1134
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Just finishing:

James Alan Gardner - League of Peoples 01 - Expendable

A little outside the box but quite enjoyable
Old 17-04-2016, 08:38   #1135
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Latest 'Axis of Time' novella, Stalin's Hammer:Cairo, by John Birmingham.

It's on a free promo for a week.

Quote:
Hi!

How exciting is this? Not just a free book, but the rebirth of the Axis of Time series. Let's not mess around. Some of you will want to get right to it.

So here is your link to click for the freebie. http://dl.bookfunnel.com/zyyru8yet7

Or, if you prefer to cut and paste: http://dl.bookfunnel.com/zyyru8yet7

You hit up that bad boy and grab Cairo exactly the same way you did with Here Be Monsters. The link takes you to Bookfunnel. You decide which format you want. You follow the very simple instructions and a minute later you'll be dragged through a tear in the space-time continuum and be punching on with Prince Harry.

The e-book is DRM-free, yours to do with as you please. I'm going to set a download limit of three, and a time limit of two weeks, because after that Cairo goes on sale for the mugs who aren't members of our little club here. But if you don't get to this message in time, just email me (jb@jbismymasternow.com) and I'll send you a fresh link. If you find that three downloads is not enough, same deal. But as I said, the books are unlocked. If you want to make copies for yourself, go for it.

I'll understand if you've stopped reading by this point. If you are still here, however, I'm gonna ask a favour of you. If you have friends on Facebook or followers on Twitter or, God forbid, you know an actual person in the world of real things, and you think they might enjoy getting into this series, please tell them about it.

Let them know that for the next week they can get Stalin's Hammer: Cairo for free at www.jbismymasternow.com.

After that, I'll be charging the full retail price on iBooks, Amazon and so on. Three bucks, probably. Maybe even four. Depends on how my share portfolio is travelling.
Old 19-04-2016, 16:26   #1136
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Thanks Hugh, I've downloaded. Do you need to have read the previous books to understand what is happening or can you enjoy the book as a single story?
Old 19-04-2016, 16:41   #1137
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Just finished the series by Colin Wilson called Spiderworld.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/62815-spider-world

Next stop will be the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 16:48   #1138
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

I'm reading allotments for beginners after getting one after a short wait of 4 years
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:07   #1139
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Travis S. Taylor - One Day on Mars

Book 1 of 4 of The Tau Ceti Agenda series.

Fast moving military SciFi on a Grand Scale.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Next stop will be the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty.
That was a good read.
Old 19-04-2016, 18:46   #1140
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
Thanks Hugh, I've downloaded. Do you need to have read the previous books to understand what is happening or can you enjoy the book as a single story?
You can read it on it's own, but it's more enjoyable if you know the backstory and the characters.