Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 15-11-2012, 23:14   #2776
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

And now Ladies and Gentlemen: Where else has the bump reared its ugly head?
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2012, 23:17   #2777
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Not here...

ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 00:47   #2778
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light

Live Graph

Slight bump at 16:00 and no it was not me I was out shopping!
tdadyslexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 03:05   #2779
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
If I found my own findings then they would be my own findings, I'm trying to findings your findings but I'm finding that you don't have any findings, so it seems you don't have any findings and you are wasting my timings

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 06:11   #2780
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not sure if this is a bump or a mountain range.

What these periodic returns to a normal profile mean I do not know, or why I am getting raised maximum latency. After years of a virtually flat graph, these last few weeks have dented my high opinion of my VM service.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 06:24   #2781
jempalmer

That is very..erm..spiky? RB. Although, by comparison with mine, your minimum latency is flat. My connection was very slow this afternoon which was odd since there was nothing on TBB that was out of the ordinary (I am smiling as I type "ordinary")
Old 16-11-2012, 07:12   #2782
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggz View Post
Well here's mine today...what on earth. Average is still acceptable, but look at the sea of yellow!!!

Using the superhub in Modem only mode so I thnk there is a limit to what I can get from it in terms of data, am I right?

Any ideas guys?

The "what on earth" seems a bit strong to me.

It needs only one TBB ping out of hundreds to be high and you get the graph you've displayed. It's the average (blue) that matters.

As regards what data you can get in modem mode, there isn't any data that you further need IMO. There's nothing in the SH that could be screwing up your experience. I didn't see anything about what was going wrong in terms of broadband performance.

BTW, here's my graph (now upgraded from 50/5 to 100/5):

I was still getting 89 Mbps during the routing/peering wobbly (for that's what I think happened inside the VM system) at 22:00

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 08:12   #2783
jempalmer

This discussion seems to have gone slightly off track. I am not a networking guru (you can ALL stop sniggering now qas).
My question is twofold:
1. Does this weird behaviour have a huge detrimental impact upon our connections? (With the obvious exception if lots of red stuff).
2. Why are VM not telling us why this is happening and, perhaps more importantly, why do they not fix it?

It's clearly a problem yet no one can explain why it's going on (off?) or what they're doing to rectify this.

Old 16-11-2012, 08:59   #2784
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Jem

The "weird behaviour" according to my observations affects the upstream worse than the downstream. It makes gaming very difficult and web pages take a long time to load.

As for VM's silence - they lay themselves open to speculation that they have not allocated sufficient peering bandwidth - when those peering points come under stress (whether through innocent load or by some sort of attack), you see these effects in TBB.

That's not the only reason - if you see it and others don't then there's something going on in your network segment. hence the value of a thread like this.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 09:04   #2785
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Bump aside, everything seemed to be OK here until around 8:30am when my SH lost connection. Hopefully this is a planned outage and not a fault (though the 'never-knowingly-helpful' status page just says that I might have difficulty connecting to the My Virginmedia page)

buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 09:15   #2786
jempalmer

Thank you Seph for your succinct and informative reply to my query. I was rather extracting the Michael . Nonetheless I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. It just irritates me when the service doesn't work as it's supposed to, and when you ring for assistance you are told that there isn't a problem. Both BB and TV went down last month simultaneously. Called CS (in India) to be informed that there is no fault. No internet connection and light flashing on Tivo indicating no BB connection. Still they lie
Old 16-11-2012, 10:47   #2787
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Looks like I got a "bump" at 2am

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 11:00   #2788
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Looks like I got a "bump" at 2am

Hardly a congested time of day! What's their excuse for that?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 11:03   #2789
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
On O2 and Be's network, apparently:

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 11:06   #2790
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Hardly a congested time of day! What's their excuse for that?
Well seeing as latency drops by about 5ms, id hardly blame congestion
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote