Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK TV Channels Survey

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money?

Old 19-11-2016, 14:51   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money?

Calling all streaming experts!

I am planning on buying a streaming box/stick that can be moved around easily between rooms.

My thoughts are either Roku 3, Roku stick, Amazon TV, Amazon TV stick, they don't need to support 4K TV but i want the latest Plex app and Now TV installed on them as well as Netflix and Amazon Video also can Kodi be loaded on to them all?

The boxes are currently £75 which is too much and i am kicking myself as the Roku 3 box was £56 last week so not sure whether to wait for Black Friday hoping they will drop in price or just grab a £30 stick?

What do you guys think i should go for?

Last edited by SnoopZ; 19-11-2016 at 15:04.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2016, 16:01   #2
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Which Streaming stick/box is best for the money?

I just bought a £34 amazon fire stick mainly because it's impossible to watch Amazon tv on anything apart from one of those or a playstation 3/4 ,i already had a chromecast which does just about everything else .One thing to watch with the fire stick is it will need a separate wall socket for power ,mine wouldn't use the tv's USB for power like the Chromecast
Old 19-11-2016, 16:12   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I just bought a £34 amazon fire stick mainly because it's impossible to watch Amazon tv on anything apart from one of those or a playstation 3/4 ,i already had a chromecast which does just about everything else .One thing to watch with the fire stick is it will need a separate wall socket for power ,mine wouldn't use the tv's USB for power like the Chromecast
Have you tried installing Kodi on it from the various guides that're available?
Old 19-11-2016, 16:22   #4
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Have you tried installing Kodi on it from the various guides that're available?
no not yet only got today and waiting for the wife to go to work so i can have a play
Old 19-11-2016, 16:23   #5
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

I have a Nexbox A95X Android OS / A good few people swear by the Amazon Firestick though.

I got the wireless keyboard too which is a must because it saves time messing with the remote control that comes with the box.

I got the A95X because it has 2gb/16gb and also has dual band wireless.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 16:34   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I have a Nexbox A95X Android OS / A good few people swear by the Amazon Firestick though.

I got the wireless keyboard too which is a must because it saves time messing with the remote control that comes with the box.

I got the A95X because it has 2gb/16gb and also has dual band wireless.
I was going to get an android box but just want 1 of the regular devices available now.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Quote:
no not yet only got today and waiting for the wife to go to work so i can have a play
Let me know if it supports NOW TV as i forgot about that!
Old 19-11-2016, 16:47   #7
martyh

Quote:

Let me know if it supports NOW TV as i forgot about that!
No it doesn't ,Chromecast does though
Old 19-11-2016, 16:56   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
No it doesn't ,Chromecast does though
I think if we can get Kodi onto the stick then Now TV will work through that.
Old 19-11-2016, 17:05   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Why do you need NowTV? Most stuff on there is available via Kodi anyway.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:12   #10
martyh

Quote:
I think if we can get Kodi onto the stick then Now TV will work through that.
I don't think it will ,i heard of people trying to get it to work ,they get it to load but not play any video.
Old 19-11-2016, 17:38   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why do you need NowTV? Most stuff on there is available via Kodi anyway.
Well i may not use Kodi right away as that is just an after thought, so as long as i can have Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime i am good to go, so it looks like an Amazon Fire Stick is the way to go for me as a Roku doesn't allow Kodi if i decide to give it a try and i can still use a Now TV box in the bedroom.
Old 19-11-2016, 17:40   #12
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

If you're going to use Kodi don't use the stick, buy the Fire TV instead. Kodi does work on the stick but it's a bit underpowered.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:41   #13
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well i may not use Kodi right away as that is just an after thought, so as long as i can have Plex, Netflix and Amazon Prime i am good to go, so it looks like an Amazon Fire Stick is the way to go for me as a Roku doesn't allow Kodi if i decide to give it a try and i can still use a Now TV box in the bedroom.
Amazon is also pretty good for other apps like Hayu for the Mrs. and Boxnation if your a sports fan. I've got Roku and Now TV too. Use the Amazon stick more than the other 2.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:58   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
If you're going to use Kodi don't use the stick, buy the Fire TV instead. Kodi does work on the stick but it's a bit underpowered.
Thanks for the info, Kodi was an after thought when i realised it works on the Amazon stick and not on the Roku.

My plan is to hold out until Black Friday to see if they drop the price again, as it was £56 last week and now it is £75 everywhere.
Old 19-11-2016, 18:55   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Kodi was an after thought when i realised it works on the Amazon stick and not on the Roku.

My plan is to hold out until Black Friday to see if they drop the price again, as it was £56 last week and now it is £75 everywhere.

If you need help setting up Kodi there's a guide I did here.

http://www.uncovered.name/forum/view...p?f=75&t=16615

Any problems just give me a shout.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote