Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | KRACK security hole in WPA2 - VM fixes incoming?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

KRACK security hole in WPA2 - VM fixes incoming?

Old 23-10-2017, 23:52   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: KRACK security hole in WPA2 - VM fixes incoming?

Well if its bad, we are all in trouble.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2017, 21:05   #17
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie
You got lead lined walls to keep out all the other sources of RF?
No and you have a point but every little bit helps...
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 16:18   #18
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think you're vastly underestimating the sheer amount of RF radiation around the place.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 16:54   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Either way as the article says if you've some shady hoodie outside your home tapping away on a laptop you likely have bigger things to be concerned by than your wireless traffic being eavesdropped on.

They may not be that noticeable. There is a small car park just behind my garden, and when I first got a Wifi router (admittedly before I found out about encrypted Wifi), I found a lot of strange M.A.C. addresses in the access logs. There were also a lot of unsecured Wifi networks in the neighbourhood, and we tended to get a lot of lorries staying overnight in the carpark. Then, one by one, the residents (myself included) locked down our networks, and the Lorrys stopped appearing.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 13:21   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I'm in real trouble, then.

I have a Three femtocell downstairs, along with a wireless router pumping out a 40 MHz wide signal in the 2.4 GHz band, an 80 MHz wide signal in the 5 GHz band and a 2.16 GHz wide channel in the 60 GHz range.

There's also an access point upstairs pumping out 20 MHz of 2.4 GHz band and another 80 MHz of 5 GHz band.

Lastly 2 x IoT networks using LORA, ZigBee or similar.

Those are just the producers of RF inside that are intended to produce it. Obviously there'll be a bunch of other stuff producing it, such as all client devices and indeed the monitor I'm looking at right now.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 03:20   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

There was a feature on last nights Gadget Show. They obtained permission first from a family and managed to hack into their Wi-Fi. Within three hours they could see them, hear them and browse their wedding photos.

They said that to avoid this users should update their password and make sure that all security updates were downloaded:

https://www.my5.tv/the-gadget-show/season-27/episode-5
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 22:55   #22
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought a Fingbox from Amazon, which blocks any new devices connecting without permission.

Any new devices that try and connect, an alert is sent to my phone via the app.

This will then allow me to grant or deny access.
Old 16-04-2018, 23:37   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There was a feature on last nights Gadget Show. They obtained permission first from a family and managed to hack into their Wi-Fi. Within three hours they could see them, hear them and browse their wedding photos.

They said that to avoid this users should update their password and make sure that all security updates were downloaded:

https://www.my5.tv/the-gadget-show/season-27/episode-5
Typical media hype. Yes it is possible to do but before you start worrying about it just stop and think.

It took professional penetration testers 3 hrs to eventually get in. These are people who have access to all the latest penetration software and know how to use it.

Next consider who is going to go to that extent just to hack you. Are you that important for a professional hacker to take the time? I mean this in general not specifically at you.

It is a non issue for the majority of users and just serves as a reminder to keep systems updated. Update router password? No, change it from the moment you install it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 18:54   #24
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Even more so now that, apparently, Russia wants to cause problems for us in retaliation for Syria:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-your-wifi
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:35   #25
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Typical media hype. Yes it is possible to do but before you start worrying about it just stop and think.

It took professional penetration testers 3 hrs to eventually get in. These are people who have access to all the latest penetration software and know how to use it.

Next consider who is going to go to that extent just to hack you. Are you that important for a professional hacker to take the time? I mean this in general not specifically at you.

It is a non issue for the majority of users and just serves as a reminder to keep systems updated. Update router password? No, change it from the moment you install it.

but by that logic you should make your password password123 how many people are going to try and break your password

you are saying how likely are you to be in range of somebody with the knowledge to do it

I say how many people are around people who can I have 4 neighbours that I can reach from my desk

how long until it's packaged up in something like Backtrack so it's basically press 1 to hack
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 13:55   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

what Pip is trying to say is yes, the means are out there, but what are the chances that

a) somebody with the knowledge

and

b) somebody with the software

and

c) somebody is going to take the time

and

d) going to specifically target you

Unless it is an intentional attack for personal reasons the chances are that you are not worth a hackers time because you will yield little reward. Last time I checked 100,000 people live in Lincoln. Statistically what are the chances that somebody is going to come and sit outside my house for 3 hours and try and crack my password for my Asus router? Even if they managed it they wouldn't get anything of value so it just isn't worth their time. There are bigger fish to fry!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 14:05   #27
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

More than this, it means they also had a poorly secured security camera or computer with webcam and decent wide area microphone, and NAS with a file share hosting their wedding photos.

A bit tenuous really.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 21:18   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
what Pip is trying to say is yes, the means are out there, but what are the chances that

and

and

and

Unless it is an intentional attack for personal reasons the chances are that you are not worth a hackers time because you will yield little reward. Last time I checked 100,000 people live in Lincoln. Statistically what are the chances that somebody is going to come and sit outside my house for 3 hours and try and crack my password for my Asus router? Even if they managed it they wouldn't get anything of value so it just isn't worth their time. There are bigger fish to fry!
Exactly.

BTW for those interested nothing like this will ever be integrated into Backtrack. (Shhh General).
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 21:47   #29
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

and

and

and

the arguments seem to be

a) there's not a lot of people who can boot up linux (if it's not that simple now somebody will package it up so it is soon)

b) somebody with the software (if you're into hacking you will find a software or some variant of it)

c) somebody is going to take the time(I spend hours and hours fiddling with tech I don't see this as a barrier for somebody who like's hacking)

d) going to specifically target you (they are going to target somebody)

so you are comfortable. Playing the odds that the guy who is hacked isn't you
I'm saying it will happen to some people
the more that they leave it the easier it will be to do and the more it will be combined with other attacks and the more common it will become
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 22:20   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Ok let me put it this way, i am very happy that statistically i am never going to be hacked.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote