Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 17:54   #3031
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You back again? Sheeesh, how many times do I have to point this out to you. The trials were carried out in the UK, by a company Registered and Headquartered -IN THE UK- against people -IN THE UK-.

There is no conflict of jurisdiction, there is no conflict of law.

Now please stop trolling this thread we are trying to engage in intelligent debate not nonsense.

Even other courts in the UK can not set precedent (Other than the High Court). Judges are required to consult case law but their judgement does not have to support it.

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 18:06   #3032
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHickling View Post
Having re-read some of the previously mentioned articles it seems that sites will not have ads thrust upon them unless they subscribe to OIX. My mistake (I hope). I still don't want them trawling my sites though.
Yes according to Phorm and the current design, your site will not get any changes made what will happen is that if you are a site that is part of OIX, the OIX server will server relevant ads to fill the ad holes on the site based on the viewer, not based on the site context which is how the Google ones currently work.

Now Posting in Safari on a PC. Take that Phorm.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:12   #3033
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If you aren't happy or suspect something is wrong with a post, please use the report post function. Don't bait or antagonise as it just makes it harder to clean up the mess.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:14   #3034
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
{ snip }

Now Posting in Safari on a PC. Take that Phorm.
I am giving very serious thought to doing the same. I tend to mix up my browsing between a mixture of IE7 and Firefox. I may just change permanently to safari for windows and then Phorm can go......
Old 12-04-2008, 18:29   #3035
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

About changing to Safari. Why should we have to? I like Firefox (There's an IE add on so there's no need to ever use IE again) and no company is going to dictate to me which browser I use.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT bank letter amateria, word doc is ok for me. No printer at the moment so I'll be using it as a template, make a few small changes and emailing the letter to my banks.

Ali.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:33   #3036
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Ok I installed safari and boy is it ugly. Safari for windows doesnt seem to have any official skins or plugins to change its appearance much and thats a shame. Fighting Phorm shouldnt be at the expense of pretty UI.
Old 12-04-2008, 18:47   #3037
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Whatever my surfing habits are, they are not for anyone else to use or comment on.

If some guy followed me around Tesco, jotting down everything I bought or looked at, then passed it around, I`d be a bit *****d off, & probably end up lamping him one.

It seems there are no limits to how low Branson will stoop, to make a few bob. So much for "Mr Clean". The rich NEVER have enough. They always want more.
Old 12-04-2008, 19:40   #3038
Winston Smith
Inactive

Winston Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a response (hand addressed, signed etc) from my MP today to the email I sent earlier this month. To be fair to my MP they were on holiday, and their aide emailed me at the time to inform me of this. Very promising (well, thats what I read from it).

I assume I can quote my MP, without names etc.

Part of their response:

"..which I read with considerable sympathy as I do believe there is a privacy and data protection issue here. I would like to help and so will make immediate representations to the appropriate Minister."

Nice result, of course it does depend on the 'appropriate Minister' paying any attention, but nonetheless a nice reply.

WinstonS
Old 12-04-2008, 19:51   #3039
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Here's hoping the 'appropriate minister' is not on the payroll of Phorm/BT/TT/VM
Old 12-04-2008, 19:54   #3040
Winston Smith
Inactive

Winston Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Cynic, not even Phorm could afford them all surely?
Though maybe MIG flights are more profitable than I thought.
Old 12-04-2008, 22:07   #3041
Mesmer
Inactive

Mesmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Ok I installed safari and boy is it ugly. Safari for windows doesnt seem to have any official skins or plugins to change its appearance much and thats a shame. Fighting Phorm shouldnt be at the expense of pretty UI.
I was wondering if it might be possible to produce a Firefox add-on that can emulate the feature in Safari that makes Phorm roll over and die.
Old 12-04-2008, 22:44   #3042
unicus
Inactive

unicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
I was wondering if it might be possible to produce a Firefox add-on that can emulate the feature in Safari that makes Phorm roll over and die.
Phorm, as far as I know, checks the user agent that is sent from your browser and with Firefox you can pretend to be any browser (or even make one up), just use the add-on 'User Agent Switcher'

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

And there's a large import of user agents here-

http://qainsight.net/content/binary/...gs20070304.xml (right click and download)
Old 12-04-2008, 22:53   #3043
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Good evening To all I have spent a couple of days reading this excellent thread and I commend you all on your input,I come here being a victim of the BT exclusion over the closing of the BT/PHORM threads also defending one of your own in his right to post there.Just to say I had a reply from my MP who thought I was talking about the illegal downloading of music etc.Oh well here we go again.good to see positive action being taken.

Tarquin Loombreaker-Smythe
Old 12-04-2008, 23:05   #3044
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin L-Smythe View Post
Just to say I had a reply from my MP who thought I was talking about the illegal downloading of music etc.
Another reason why we have to be able to present the simple message as well as the important legal and technical detail.

http://www.inphormationdesk.org/legislators.htm
Old 12-04-2008, 23:09   #3045
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Tarquin
-----------
http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...3_04_08_en.pdf
ARTICLE 29 Data Protection Working Party

Brussels, 09 April 2008

The WP considers that personal data registered by search engines must be erased as soon as possible, and after a 6-month period at the latest.

In any event, Directive 2006/24/EC
relating to the storage of traffic data does not apply to search engines; they do not have thus any legal obligation to store information concerning users traffic data, unlike Internet access providers for example.

- The WP recommends that Internet users be also clearly informed of their rights, in accordance with Directive 95/46/EC relating to the protection of personal data :
information on the purposes of the data process, the terms of exercise of their right of access, modification and erasure.

Lastly, Internet users must give their consent to the use of their data for consumer profiling purposes in particular.

Closed Thread