Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2008, 23:55   #1786
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Now there's an interesting point... has the bearded one (if he's connected at all with VM) said anything about Phorm? Does he know that "his" brand is getting dirtier and dirtier by the day through its association with Phorm?
He must do, and I keep thinking of him looking over my shoulder as I type!

If he wants to sell the branding, he has to take the flak.

I will not be spending £200,000 on a Virgin Galactic ticket

Virgin Media, the Virgin brand and anyone associated with it (hands up Laughing Boy) need all the bad publicity we can give them.

It's only phair.
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2008, 00:09   #1787
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Now there's an interesting point...

has the bearded one (if he's connected at all with VM) said anything about Phorm? Does he know that "his" brand is getting dirtier and dirtier by the day through its association with Phorm?
he's still the largest share holder, but doesnt run the VM company or have a seat on the board AFAIK.

the VM board of directors, alongside paying for the 20 year lease of the Virgin name contract, pay RB a seperate PR fee for being the face of Virgin Media when they want to call out the big guns.

expect something real soon now if he gets to know his Brand name is looking to take a pasting...

im sure someone here might go and ask his executive office for an official comment on this and other legal points and include permission to publish the replys

go on you know you want to.
Old 27-03-2008, 00:51   #1788
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
he's still the largest share holder, but doesnt run the VM company or have a seat on the board AFAIK.

expect something real soon now if he gets to know his Brand name is looking to take a pasting...
Paste it!

I am amazed that Richard Branson's name should be linked to a brand that is trying to take dreadful advantage of it's customers. Richard, you have enough money.

Virgin Media is secretive, uncommunicative and evasive regarding an issue that is of major public concern, way beyond the confines of it's own customer base.

In my opinion, Richard Branson and the Virgin brand will be forever linked with an underhand attempt to invade the privacy of it's customers and set a precident for others to follow, unless Virgin Media renounces all links with Phorm and Phorm-Like companies now.

Richard, if you value your reputation and if you have no control over Virgin Media, you should renounce your relationship with them now in order to protect your good name, and swallow any financial penalties you may incurr.

People do not fly with brands they do not trust, either across the Atlantic or into low Earth orbit.
Old 27-03-2008, 02:09   #1789
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

It's too late for my tired eyes to find the executive board contact details (If anyone else finds them, please post them here?) but I did come across this on the Virgin.com website under "Responsible Business Practice"

"We at Virgin believe 100% that we owe it to our customers and our staff to ensure that our future economic growth is built on firm, ethically sustainable business models. Businesses need to be bold and creative, to develop radical new products and find alternative ways of doing business. Since innovation and creativity are at the heart of the Virgin culture we feel that our group of businesses are well placed to take advantage of the opportunity this presents."
Richard Branson

Someone please explain how Phorm is ethically sustainable?

Anyway, bedtime calls.
Old 27-03-2008, 02:39   #1790
mark777
Inactive

I managed to find a link to Dicky Boy's companies. If you dig down enough you can find their customer service e-mail contacts.

http://www.virginbeer.com/Contact/ContactACompany.aspx

I think they should all be warned that a dodgy company is about to start intercepting their internet communications with their customers.

It may be that they need to be warned several times by several people because this is a really serious threat.

---------- Post added at 02:39 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

By the way, does anybody know where Virgin Atlantic customers discuss all their bits and bobs?

I've no doubt that many of them book their flights over the web and they certainly deserve to know of the potential dangers inherent in doing so.

Just a thought.
Old 27-03-2008, 02:57   #1791
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

this link gives
http://investing.businessweek.com/bu...rivcapId=36312
120 Campden Hill Road
London, W8 7AR
United Kingdom
Founded in 1970

Phone: 44 20 7229 1282

Fax: 44 20 7727 8200

www.virgin.com

but im not sure if it's the direct link to richard branson's chief executive office though.

if not, they will be able to forward your letters perhaps.
Old 27-03-2008, 07:27   #1792
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

(from the Virgin.com website):
Quote:
If you would like further information about Virgin, or if you have any other requests, for example photo, sponsorship, quotes and interview requests, then please email press@virgin.com. Please include your request, your name, and contact information including postal address.
Sounds like a good place to start. If we inundate them with questions, and ask for Virgins (and RB's) official line on data interception, we should wake them up.
Old 27-03-2008, 09:10   #1793
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Phorm down 8% already this morning, always a good start to the day

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:PHRM
Old 27-03-2008, 10:20   #1794
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Here is a really pretty picture.
http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...&timeframe=480
Old 27-03-2008, 10:23   #1795
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Share price has taken a real beating this morning. Is this down to the Guardian announcement or is there something else in the offing?
Old 27-03-2008, 11:40   #1796
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

So Phorm want to issue 1.6M shares at 33% higher price than the markets are currently trading their stock...should be interesting wonder who is gonna buy them then?

Phorm seem to have failed to realise that it doesn't matter how many shares you issue or at what price if no-one wants to buy them

They have only had 2 buys all morning everyone else is dumping their investments faster than a street dealer dumps their stash when the popo drive round the corner.

Someone needs to stop the world so Phorm can get off.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

More bad press for Phorm http://www.newstatesman.com/200803270043

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

"BT, TalkTalk and Virgin are all signed up to trial Phorm's technology. But given the barrage of bad press it has received - culminating this month in virtual excommunication by the high priest of the worldwide web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, they would be crazy to pursue this plan." man I knew there was a reason I loved to read New Statesman.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

"Over in Germany, the constitutional court has just delivered a landmark decision on data privacy that backs up this instinct. In essence, the decision accepts an individual's online behaviour as an "expression of personality", an activity whose integrity and confidentiality are fundamentally protected in German constitutional law." <-- Interesting
Old 27-03-2008, 11:54   #1797
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I'd still be interested to hear why, when you bear in mind that I take absolutely no notice of web ads (apart from on cableforum, where I need to monitor them to ensure Google doesn't advertise anthing against the site's rules), targetted ads would provide any benefit to me. Targetted or not, I wouldn't take any notice.
Old 27-03-2008, 12:02   #1798
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Thanks for the link. Commented on there before Phorm's spin machine posted its standardised bulldust spin.
Old 27-03-2008, 12:06   #1799
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Just thinking, possibly out of my rear orifice.

The age of consent (no, not that one)...

Yes, I know, parents should all be aware of their children's activity on the internet. However, let's ignore that for the moment.

Assume ISP/Phorm are using a per PC cookie based opt out system. Let's say we have a young child, aged 9 or 10 for example. They have their own PC for their exclusive use which shares an internet connection via a router. Is the child in a position to give "Informed Consent" (as RIPA requires) to the profiling of their browsing behavior?
Old 27-03-2008, 12:09   #1800
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
I'd still be interested to hear why, when you bear in mind that I take absolutely no notice of web ads (apart from on cableforum, where I need to monitor them to ensure Google doesn't advertise anthing against the site's rules), targetted ads would provide any benefit to me. Targetted or not, I wouldn't take any notice.
Very occasionally the ads placed next to (and semi-targetted at) an email that I'm reading in Gmail are both accurate and useful but I'd agree that generally targetted ads would pass me by.
Not least because I don't see most of them (thank you, Adblock!). About the only ads I routinely see are on websites which I deliberately "permit" to show them to me, like CableForum.
Closed Thread