Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 11-05-2020, 22:28   #136
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I would love to see some updated stats on that. Enough of us must to be using modem mode to make it viable for them.
Tens of thousands use modem mode.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2020, 22:36   #137
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I think it's irrelevant how many use modem mode. People want to pay a budget price for their Broadband and providers such as VM cannot provide expensive Hubs just so that modem mode users can slap on a fancy router (they go up to 2.5 Gig as consumer models - more than £400).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 22:59   #138
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Tens of thousands use modem mode.
Assuming that's 100k customers, out of what - 6 million or something? That represents something like 1.5% of the userbase. 2% tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think it's irrelevant how many use modem mode. People want to pay a budget price for their Broadband and providers such as VM cannot provide expensive Hubs just so that modem mode users can slap on a fancy router (they go up to 2.5 Gig as consumer models - more than £400).
Yup, exactly this. And I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much for my own modem, even if Virgin allowed it, given that I can't take it to another provider.

It would be nice if Virgin offered it as a paid extra or something, though, but it's so niche.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 23:27   #139
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The above said, Kush, 1 Gig can't be the ceiling for too long, can it?
And that'll be true across the world.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:50   #140
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Arris / Commscope do now have a device with one 2.5G port on it. By the looks of it, they've swapped two of the Gigabit ports out to get a 2.5G port in.

https://www.commscope.com/product-ty...modems/tg9452/

Quote:
Ethernet Ports 2 x GigE, 1 x 2.5 GbE
That device was only approved by the FCC last month, so it will be a while before there is any scope for it to be turned into a LG or Virgin Media device, especially as it's not a EuroDOCSIS device (yet).

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-05-2020 at 09:54.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 23:22   #141
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I agree, a few places already offer 10Gig connections even. I think we'll be stuck around 1gig for a while simply because most people use the hub and the hub can share >1gig across all its interfaces. The ones missing out are the ones wanting to use their own router, but even then there's not a huge amount with 2.5G ports. Finding switches with 2.5G+ ports is a chore as well. They exist, but they're not cheap at all.

It's a weird time when your internet connection speed is surpassing your home LAN speed.
Old 13-05-2020, 10:19   #142
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I agree, a few places already offer 10Gig connections even. I think we'll be stuck around 1gig for a while simply because most people use the hub and the hub can share >1gig across all its interfaces. The ones missing out are the ones wanting to use their own router, but even then there's not a huge amount with 2.5G ports. Finding switches with 2.5G+ ports is a chore as well. They exist, but they're not cheap at all.

It's a weird time when your internet connection speed is surpassing your home LAN speed.
Virgin Media clearly state that we should be getting an average of 1.1Gb. They are unwise to do so.

Even connected direct to my very capable PC, with the Hub 4 in router mode, and using the CAT6 patch cable provided, I could only get a max speed of 948Mb. I tried this at peak and off-peak times. It made no difference. My hardware was holding back the top speed the connection is configured at.

Clearly, a PC that only has a gigabit network card isn't going to get over 1000Mb anyway. As soon as I distributed around my CAT5e network I got exactly the same result, bang on 948Mb max. Switching to modem mode and shoving it all through my newly purchased GT-AX11000, I still maxed at 948Mbps, even using the 2.5Gb port. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGp7p5...sN4rw?e=NYoSWf

Who out there is likely to already have devices, cards, switches, cables etc capable of getting 1.1Gbps? Who has Wifi devices capable of this? Zero domestic customers? Just imagine the calls CS are going to get because virtually nobody can get the declared average down speed. Virgin Media would have been better off selling their package as 900Mb just like Vodaphone/City Fibre are doing, but with their symmetrical FTTP service. As you suggested Kush, Virgin Media will say that their 1.1Gb is a reality, even if you can't measure it, because it is being shared, when in router mode, through the hub's four ports, and through wifi, to a number of devices. This won't stop calls and complaints though. They will pay for their willy waving.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1speeds

Last edited by roughbeast; 13-05-2020 at 10:30.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:27   #143
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
As you suggested Kush, Virgin Media will say that their 1.1Gb is a reality, even if you can't measure it, because it is being shared, when in router mode, through the hub's four ports, and through wifi, to a number of devices. This won't stop calls and complaints though.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1speeds
You can measure it in router mode. All Hub 4s have a customer available SamKnows option so you can use www.samknows.com/realspeed from any device connected to the Hub 4 to see the speed between the Hub and Virgin Media.

This Sam Knows client data is also what is used by Virgin Media as part of any Speed complaint under the OFCOM rules for Hub 3 and well as the Hub 4. Just that currently the Hub 3 SamKnows client doesn't work with the Real Speed site.

Last edited by BenMcr; 13-05-2020 at 10:31.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 10:36   #144
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You can measure it in router mode. All Hub 4s have a customer available SamKnows option so you can use www.samknows.com/realspeed from any device connected to the Hub 4 to see the speed between the Hub and Virgin Media.

This Sam Knows client data is also what is used by Virgin Media as part of any Speed complaint under the OFCOM rules for Hub 3 and well as the Hub 4. Just that currently the Hub 3 SamKnows client doesn't work with the Real Speed site.
Thanks.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 21:00   #145
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Virgin Media clearly state that we should be getting an average of 1.1Gb. They are unwise to do so.

They never claim that you get that to a single device, they claim you get that to the hub. After that, you need multiple devices to pull it all.

It's no different to Virgin claiming you get 500Mbit, but you complaining that you can't hit that on wireless.
Old 15-05-2020, 21:15   #146
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I think the point he is trying to make is that the hub physically can't support that speed. It doesn't matter whether it is 1.1gbits or 10gbits. If the wan to lan throughput of the hub is less than that and/or it only has gigabit ports then regardless of what VM sends to the shub, the hub is the bottleneck and no number of devices are cumulatively going to be able to achieve the advertised speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 21:31   #147
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I don't agree. Virgin have never said you will get 1.2gbits to one device. They say its a 1.2gb connection, which it is.

1.2gbits in my opinion is designed for mutipule users not one computer running speedtests
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 21:37   #148
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I think the point he is trying to make is that the hub physically can't support that speed. It doesn't matter whether it is 1.1gbits or 10gbits. If the wan to lan throughput of the hub is less than that and/or it only has gigabit ports then regardless of what VM sends to the shub, the hub is the bottleneck and no number of devices are cumulatively going to be able to achieve the advertised speed.
The Hub's WAN-to-LAN capability is greater than gigabit, it's the LAN (port) that's limited to 1gbit. Two devices plugged into the hub (or via wireless or whatever) are capable of more than maxing out the connection. SO Virgin aren't wrong.
Old 15-05-2020, 21:42   #149
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Am i missing something or is the wan port 1gbit?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 21:42   #150
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The Hub's WAN-to-LAN capability is greater than gigabit, it's the LAN (port) that's limited to 1gbit. Two devices plugged into the hub (or via wireless or whatever) are capable of more than maxing out the connection. SO Virgin aren't wrong.
Kush - are you saying that the Hub 4's WAN port has a capability higher than 1Gbps?