Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

Old 25-02-2021, 12:24   #16
Matty993
cf.member

Matty993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Existing customers have to add the Sky Entertainment and Cinema UHD pack on for £6 a month.

It's only currently included in Ultimate Oomph for new customers.
Hi Ben,

I'm a current Ultimate Oomph subscriber with TV360. I'm able to go into the Sky Cinema UHD screen under 'Movies' and select titles to play. From responses further up this thread, it seems other users are receiving 'unsubscribed' messages although it plays fine on my end. Other than the picture looking marginally better than the broadcast stream I see no improvement e.g. no HDR (is this part of the deal?), DD5.1 rather than DD5.1+ or Atmos. I assume this is playing the HD stream and missing the prompt for me to subscribe to UHD?

Before I pay for any upgrade, are you able to confirm if HDR and/or improved sound (DD+/Atmos) are included with the picture resolution boost on Sky Cinema UHD?

As a general comment (not aimed at yourself Ben), I find it frustrating that UHD is being charged on top of existing Ultimate Oomph packages and the promise of Sky Sports UHD and not having to faff around switching to Sky kept me with Virgin at my previous contract renewal in June as the Sky price/package was largely comparable. But hey ho, not particularly surprised and expecting to be hit with further costs when Sports do launch.
Matty993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2021, 12:32   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

On the 360 On Demand I believe it behaves differently.

It will play back the best available option in your subscription, rather than have have separate HD and UHD options or upgrade messages.

Same as the way that you only get either HD or SD in your live channels.

HDR isn't included as far as I'm aware, nor is Atmos.
Old 25-02-2021, 12:51   #18
Matty993
cf.member

Matty993 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It will play back the best available option in your subscription, rather than have have separate HD and UHD options or upgrade messages.

Thanks a lot for clarifying.

Based on a check of virginmedia.com/shop/bundles just now, It's interesting that this cost appears to have been absorbed in the total bundle cost for new subscribers after the 18 month promotional period (£139 ongoing cost) whereas I'm being asked to pay for Sky UHD and will still pay the same bundle cost (£139) at the end of my current contract without UHD or presumably £145 with UHD. I appreciate I have negotiated discounts etc. and don't pay full whack but if the undiscounted bundle cost without new customer promotions had increased by £6 to £145, I'd have been more receptive to existing customers being excluded as the new customers would've seen the increase eventually. In this case, it's a show of disregard to the existing customer base.

EDIT: Again, the above not aimed at anyone in particular, just a bit of a moan at Virgin Media more generally!
Matty993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 13:14   #19
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I must say, a £6 surcharge for Sky UHD entertainment and movies is rather steep. I won’t be going for that.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 25-02-2021 at 13:22.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 13:21   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You won't get UHD without the add on.
Old 25-02-2021, 13:30   #21
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I must say, a £6 surcharge for Sky UHD entertainment and movies is rather steep. I won’t be going for that.
Me neither.
Old 25-02-2021, 14:19   #22
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

A few titles in HDR to test are Cobra , Bulletproof South Africa

Last edited by muppetman11; 25-02-2021 at 14:25.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 14:45   #23
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sky customers have to pay extra for UHD so why shouldn't VM customers?

Of course it is your choice.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 17:17   #24
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Looking on the sky one uhd demand all sections are showing uhd then the next screen you only get the HD option does anyone else have that also none of the movies play I still have to subscribe Grr
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 17:18   #25
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

The charge is all well and good. But was it made out at the time back when we knew this was coming that there would be a charge?
I can't recall.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 17:25   #26
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Have I got this correct.

Those that take the Ultimate Oomph package now pay £139 (forget the cheaper price for now) with no price rise added and Sky UHD included.

Those already on Ultimate Oomph package pay £139 plus £4 price rise plus £6 Sky UHD.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 17:31   #27
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

And don't forget another £6 a month for Sky Sports UHD Channels my contract runs out middle of May 2021 so I'll ring the April to Negotiate new 360 box superhub 4 and UHD on movies and sports
Old 25-02-2021, 17:31   #28
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Have I got this correct.

Those that take the Ultimate Oomph package now pay £139 (forget the cheaper price for now) with no price rise added and Sky UHD included.

Those already on Ultimate Oomph package pay £139 plus £4 price rise plus £6 Sky UHD.
As far as I know, anyone on Ultimate Oomph taken out after 1st July 2020 won't be getting a price rise till at least the end of this year as they're on the 18 month contracts that aren't part of price rise right now. But they will pay the £6 for the UHD add on.
Old 25-02-2021, 17:35   #29
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
As far as I know, anyone on Ultimate Oomph taken out after 1st July 2020 won't be getting a price rise till at least the end of this year as they're on the 18 month contracts that aren't part of price rise right now. But they will pay the £6 for the UHD add on.
So paying £10pm for basically the same package? Ok on the new package you only get one recordable box but who on earth thought this was a good idea.

What reasoning is there that some have to pay while others get it included?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 17:41   #30
Rob King
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
So paying £10pm for basically the same package? Ok on the new package you only get one recordable box but who on earth thought this was a good idea.

What reasoning is there that some have to pay while others get it included?
Typical Virgin Media they do everything for new customers but forget customers who have been here since 2008 like me etc