Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting a cooker

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Connecting a cooker

Old 04-03-2019, 10:46   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Connecting a cooker

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a duel fuel cooker. Currently I have a full gas cooker, but I have an electric power switch behind it which lights up when switched on, so it's already wired to the mains. Would I need an electrician to connect a cooker to it, or is this something that I can legally do myself?

Thanks.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2019, 10:50   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Connecting a cooker

You can do it yourself provided you do it to the legal standard, same as any DIY electrical work in your own home.

However, as you’re dealing with a very high amp ring and it may not have been used for a while, it is safer to get it checked by a qualified electrician. The high current drawn by an electric oven will generate heat at all the terminals where wires are joined, and the poorer the joins, the greater the risk that the heat could melt surrounding plastic or cause a fire.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:17   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

What Chris said, many high current switches now come with double screw fixers that help reduce the heating risk.

But beware that even connecting or disconnecting a bayonet-fitting gas pipe is now required to be done by a Gas Safe engineer. Money for old rope, but it's now a requirement.

Also note that many electric cookers now come WITHOUT a mains lead as the actual connecting-up can be frought with legal problems through regulations.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:29   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from Taf:

Also note that many electric cookers now come WITHOUT a mains lead as the actual connecting-up can be frought with legal problems through regulations.
I recently did a cooker swap for a friend and re-used the old cable as no new one was supplied. Being an electronics engineer I am deemed as sufficiently qualified to do the job.
Old 04-03-2019, 13:18   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You can do it yourself provided you do it to the legal standard, same as any DIY electrical work in your own home.

However, as you’re dealing with a very high amp ring and it may not have been used for a while, it is safer to get it checked by a qualified electrician. The high current drawn by an electric oven will generate heat at all the terminals where wires are joined, and the poorer the joins, the greater the risk that the heat could melt surrounding plastic or cause a fire.
Personally, I find that good advice when dealing with anything electrical (and certainly gas) is to get a professional in if you aren't sure.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 16:56   #6
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks boys, not going to risk it. I'll get a man in......
Old 04-03-2019, 18:37   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
Thanks boys, not going to risk it. I'll get a man in......

Very wise.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 20:36   #8
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Many electric hobs can be used off a 20amp supply, the oven being used on gas.
Rating plate would show electrical power required.

[1Kw consumption equals a 4amp load.]
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 20:42   #9
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Many electric hobs can be used off a 20amp supply, the oven being used on gas.
Rating plate would show electrical power required.

[1Kw consumption equals a 4amp load.]
I want the opposite - gas hob, electric oven.
Old 07-03-2019, 20:55   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I want the opposite - gas hob, electric oven.
Present ovens run off a 13amp socket.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:04   #11
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I would still check the electrical supply requirement plate on the cooker!
Just to add to the above:
I took delivery of a replacement cooker 12months ago, supplier wanted 75pounds to test/connect my new oven.
Took delivery only, I decided to replace the short cable connecting the oven to the joint box positioned directly behind.
6mm 3core PVC cable used which cost @6pounds from my local DIY store, 1hr later oven up to temp with a joint in the oven!

Last edited by raging bull; 08-03-2019 at 08:32.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:31   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Get a qualified professional on the recommendation of a friend.