Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Utility companies - price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Utility companies - price rises

Old 14-10-2013, 13:21   #16
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bad news everyone SSE to raise energy prices aprox 8.2 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
They always bleat about "Wholesale Prices" rising. Maybe it's the wholesalers who are the true rip-off merchants? Plus the government who tag on a big whack for "green" purposes?
The big six energy companies buy wholesale from each other, or from their own wholesale subsidiaries. This makes me very suspicious when I read their claims about how small their profits are per customer. A more cynical person would accuse them of rigging the wholesale price to ensure that the retail companies (that we pay for our energy) are not seen to make a large profit.

The UK's energy prices are not the highest in Europe, but that doesn't mean that price increases by the UK energy cartel are justified.
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2013, 14:24   #17
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Notification of gas and electricity price increase has arrived by post. No mention of percentages, but the big increases have been in the Standing Charges which we pay even if we use no gas or electricity.

I calculate gas is up 8.2% and electricity up 8.9%

They reckon our annual bill will be around £1550
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 16:28   #18
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

I thought it was 10% combined rather than each ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 17:49   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

There are a few discounts on my account (Direct Debit, paperless billing, etc.) and the postcode lottery also applies.
Old 14-10-2013, 19:32   #20
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Thanks but my question was 'I thought it was 10% combined rather than each ?' in response to (in bold)..

Quote:
Notification of gas and electricity price increase has arrived by post. No mention of percentages, but the big increases have been in the Standing Charges which we pay even if we use no gas or electricity.

I calculate gas is up 8.2% and electricity up 8.9%

They reckon our annual bill will be around £1550
?
Old 15-10-2013, 00:54   #21
tizmeinnit

Head up Scottish Power have a fixed rate till March 2015 competitive with current running fixed tariff plans.
Old 15-10-2013, 10:50   #22
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Thanks but my question was 'I thought it was 10% combined rather than each ?' in response to (in bold)..?
I heard 9.2% in one TV report, but, as I replied, that is only an "average" as discounts, etc., can vary the final percentage increase quite a bit.
Old 15-10-2013, 13:20   #23
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Ah the super soaraway Sun. Sigh....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 23:58   #24
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
I heard 9.2% in one TV report, but, as I replied, that is only an "average" as discounts, etc., can vary the final percentage increase quite a bit.
on combined ? if so then the rough 10% hike stands for duel fuel. they couldnt possibly hike gas and electric as much as you calculated.
Old 17-10-2013, 11:32   #25
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
British Gas announce average 9.2% price rise

http://news.sky.com/story/1155720/en...by-9-2-percent

Why is the government allowing this to happen. The public are being hard pressed as it is from other utility comapnies with increases in prices.

I am with British Gas and this will hit me hard. We have energy within our own garden.

We must reinvest in coal in this country and open up the minefields. This will also create jobs in hard hit area's.

This IMPORTS coal from other countries, so why not produce our own. Many OAP's will be glad of this. And yes some OAPs will have central heating, but at least it will be some comfort to the hard pressed families.

It does not make sense where this government is sending billions of pounds over sea's yet won't help out in this time by telling these companies that this has to stop.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 11:38   #26
tizmeinnit

re: [MERGED] Utility companies - price rises

Our governments lack of forethought dating back a long time has led us to this. All they are ever interested in is what will win the next election. This applies equally with Labour and Conservative

There have been massive advancements in clean energy from coal we have massive resources of coal still available to us but the mines stay closed

We will have nuclear power enough to service us eventually there are plans to build 12 stations iirc but that of course will take time. I personally would rather investment in this was put before the aid bill

I was watching watchdog last night and after the interview with some woman to do with one of the big 6 ( only caught this bit) I am not convinced there will be enough energy to keep the lights on this winter
Old 17-10-2013, 11:52   #27
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
God you really short sighted Arthur, you blame everything on the current government and allow no blame to be apportioned to Labor, your one sided ideals really get on my nerves.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:00   #28
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
They are not state owned companies, if the government were to try and cap prices they might just abandon the supply market and let the lights go out. Millipede's ill judged cap statement wiped over £1 billion off these companies and that came straight out of the pension funds.

Anyway join the club, we're with SSE and have already had the price hike (8.3%) that is coming to all the customers whoever you get your energy from. A big chunk of it comes from the carbon and green taxes that the last administration, Labour remember?, signed up for.

Some of your increase also pays for those in fuel poverty to get help.
and here is the crux. The open market economy created by Thatcher has left us with no real control. These energy companies can virtually charge what they want. She missed the change of making it a mixed market economy and keeping some control so the consumer still gets value for money.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:29   #29
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
SSE has already announced an 8.2% increase in bills from 15 November.
Energy debate

On average, customers will see a dual-fuel bill increase to £1,444 a year.

However, there are significant regional variations. On average, the biggest increase in a dual-fuel bill is an 11.2% rise in the Scottish Hydro Electric region. The smallest is a 6.8% increase in the south west of England.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24562930

Smallest increases in the part of the country that is usually warmer in winter, so less heating required. Go figure....
Old 17-10-2013, 12:38   #30
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I said before all this started that it will have a knock on effect with everything.

people will cancel their TV licences, which will lose the BBC money.
people will cancel their Virgin/Sky packages which will lose Virgin and Sky money.
people will buy stolen property which is a crime increase due to demand.
people will buy duty free baccy and alcohol which is excellent.

everyone is out to get what they can out of the people. and they will be treading over each other to get whatever pennies the people have that they can take from them.

sit back and watch.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote