Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

Old 19-02-2019, 13:39   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

I've just been reading that, when 5G is introduced, that the speed and capacity will be much better than the fixed line broadband and mobile internet that we have now.

Will this innovation lead to a lot of people dumping fixed line broadband along with the very idea of 'home' internet and 'mobile' internet and just using the one provider wherever in the UK they find themselves?

Could this eventually lead to the death of fixed line broadband?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2019, 14:54   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

how would I connect to it from home? Would I need a new router with a SIM in it? Or is the assumption that "everyone" uses their phone? That then goes against smart TVs, unless people will stream from phone straight to TV or whatever young cool kids do these days
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:24   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will 5G kill off fixed line broadband & the differentiation of mobile intetnet?

What about people that have little or no mobile coverage? - or people in remote areas?
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:38   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Will it be as reliable as a fixed connection I wonder.

Will it even cope with every house trying to use it at the same time .....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 19:12   #5
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Technology marches on.
https://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomms_n...news-35586.php

Just hope you're in the right place with lots of money.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 15:21   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
What about people that have little or no mobile coverage? - or people in remote areas?
I suspect that they will have to rely on fixed line internet (probably over the telephone wires).

Sparsely populated areas are unlikely to be served by Virgin Media or mobile phone companies due to the costs involved in return for little profitability.
Old 20-02-2019, 21:45   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
People in remote areas tend not to get fast wired broadband either. I get around 4Mbit down and 0.4Mbit up, on an exceptionally good copper EO line that’s more than 4.5 miles long. Others in my area aren’t so lucky.

At the same time I can access a fairly mediocre 4g signal via EE that usually gives me about double that speed and I’d use it in a flash were it not for the fact that it’s pigging expensive. We’re a family of five, with a combined monthly download in excess of 50GB per month. That’s fine with unlimited BT broadband but I shudder to think what it would be on a mobile contract.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 21:50   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Yup - I was in Penrhos, Monmouthshire a couple of weekends ago, and we had 1 Mb/s down and about 250Kb/s up.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 22:29   #9
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

First Samsung 5G phone more than $2,000. Not cheap.
Old 20-02-2019, 22:49   #10
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
There isn't any prices for the 5G phones yet?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 23:11   #11
JPAC
cf.addict

Quote from the link; A 4G version of the Galaxy Fold is set to go on sale on April 26 and will start at $1,980 (£1,515). A more expensive 5G edition was also promised. Maybe that's the 5G fold variant, the S10 5G doesn't have a price yet.

Last edited by JPAC; 20-02-2019 at 23:15.
Old 24-02-2019, 20:37   #12
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
There isn't any prices for the 5G phones yet?

I think that is the new bendy double phone thingy.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post

I think that is the new bendy double phone thingy.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 15:28   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Let’s stick to the original topic please
Old 25-02-2019, 19:08   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Will it be as reliable as a fixed connection I wonder.

Will it even cope with every house trying to use it at the same time .....
Will it cope if someone happens to throw up a large building between you and your local Mobile base station?

Actually, I don't think Fixed line broadband is going away anytime soon. Why? Backhaul. While it is feasible to have mobile base stations connect to each other via Microwave links, they also need some fibre backhaul network to connect them to both the mobile phone network and, ultimately, the internet. The fibre backhaul also provides a higher capacity than the Microwave link.

Running a dedicated fibre to each base station would be relatively expensive, so the mobile providers tend to lease connections to the local fixed-line broadband networks, whether they are BT, Virgin or whoever. These networks are largely paid for by the users of fixed-line broadband.

Richard mentioned it would enable you to have one provider for all your internet needs, at home and out and about, but I would question the value of this. I have Virgin media at home, and my current Mobile network is 3. I am happy with both, and I don't see the advantage of having both provided by one company. Even if I did, it's perfectly feasible to have that now.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 11:50   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Will it cope if someone happens to throw up a large building between you and your local Mobile base station?

Actually, I don't think Fixed line broadband is going away anytime soon. Why? Backhaul. While it is feasible to have mobile base stations connect to each other via Microwave links, they also need some fibre backhaul network to connect them to both the mobile phone network and, ultimately, the internet. The fibre backhaul also provides a higher capacity than the Microwave link.

Running a dedicated fibre to each base station would be relatively expensive, so the mobile providers tend to lease connections to the local fixed-line broadband networks, whether they are BT, Virgin or whoever. These networks are largely paid for by the users of fixed-line broadband.

Richard mentioned it would enable you to have one provider for all your internet needs, at home and out and about, but I would question the value of this. I have Virgin media at home, and my current Mobile network is 3. I am happy with both, and I don't see the advantage of having both provided by one company. Even if I did, it's perfectly feasible to have that now.
I was thinking that, as a superior service, people would use 5G whilst at home and away from home. I suppose whether it was unlimited or not would affect the decision to do this.