Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ASUS N66U in AP Mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

ASUS N66U in AP Mode

Old 18-10-2018, 19:31   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
ASUS N66U in AP Mode

Ever since I have invested in an Asus AC88U I have been using my old N66U as an access point and have been running a media server off it as well as boosting WiFi in the far corners of our large semi. When it is working it is great, but it has always been quite unstable, sometimes becoming inaccessible, even using the ASUS device discovery utility.

I've noted that the ip is on a different subnet, allocating the N66U 192.168.10.173. Is a different subnet always the outcome of switching to AP mode?

When I try to configure the N66U further or troubleshhot the device discovery utility gives me a dialogue I am not sure what to do with, so I can no longer access the UI. Any ideas please?

Image https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGpL197L5QeEvtwLEU6Q

Last edited by roughbeast; 18-10-2018 at 20:03.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2018, 11:15   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Smile Re: ASUS N66U in AP Mode

It's OK folk. I solved the problem myself.

What most of the on line guides and videos don't tell you is exactly how to set up your AP Router IP manually. They tend to skip over that, just leaving you with automatic IP acquisition. 192.168.10. ***

My N66U IP is now 192.168.1.5 , manually set as part of setting AP mode. I can now access the UI no problem and it works perfectly as a media server too.

The key thing that seemed to make a difference was to set the default DNS server the same as the default gateway, i.e. 192.168.1.1 (The main router ip) I don't know if this applies to routers other than ASUS, because ASUS routers cache DNS.

Last edited by roughbeast; 19-10-2018 at 11:21.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote