Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 16-12-2013, 21:52   #91
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Replaced a broken rotary encoder in a guitar effects unit. Always 30-40 odd blimmin screws, loads of nuts and washers.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2013, 20:10   #92
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Our dishwasher which had been out of order for about a year. I got an engineer to have a look at it, and he said it needed a new door catch which would cost me £118 to fit. I bought one from Ebay for less then £18 and fitted it myself, dishes washing as I write.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 20:30   #93
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Our dishwasher which had been out of order for about a year. I got an engineer to have a look at it, and he said it needed a new door catch which would cost me £118 to fit. I bought one from Ebay for less then £18 and fitted it myself, dishes washing as I write.
Will you marry me??

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Car seems to be fixed. I got 20 miles on her and she's running nice. Fingers crossed as she goes to Cornwall at the end of the week.

Least I've got AA relay if the worst comes to the worst.
Well done matey. Nice feeling to have!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 20:54   #94
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A neighbour had all his downstairs lighting tripping the main fuse. I had a quick shufty and discovered his outside globe lamp was upside down... and leaking rainwater onto the electrical contacts.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 21:03   #95
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A neighbour had all his downstairs lighting tripping the main fuse. I had a quick shufty and discovered his outside globe lamp was upside down... and leaking rainwater onto the electrical contacts.
Old 19-12-2013, 08:38   #96
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Car seems to be fixed. I got 20 miles on her and she's running nice. Fingers crossed as she goes to Cornwall at the end of the week.

Least I've got AA relay if the worst comes to the worst.
Good for you heero, well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Will you marry me??

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Already spoken for. Amazing what you can learn from the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Shocking!
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 09:07   #97
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post

Already spoken for. Amazing what you can learn from the internet.
Drat!

Well will you at least promise to pop round and fix my white goods when they go wrong?

---------- Post added at 08:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Fixed the main zip on Osem Jnr#2's favourite coat. He's so happy!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:39   #98
Osem
Inactive

My elderly MIL's broken back fence. One of the fence posts on which her back gate is hung has rotted at the base and that whole half of the fence was swaying in the wind. As a short term measure until the weather calms down and I can get some new posts etc. I managed to brace the broken fence using some old arris rail propped/secured against the fence at one end and driven into the ground at the other which in turn I secured with a second piece driven in perpendicular to it and screwed. Not looking forward to removing the broken post since on the other side of the gate is a completely paved communal area which I don't want to disturb. I feel another one of my trusty Heath Robinson fixes coming on...

Also managed to fix my son's Casio watch. The resin case had broken away where one end of one if the strap pins locates but I managed to build it up using epoxy resin and relocate the pin and strap. The watch has a lot of sentimental value so I hope the repair holds.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05   #99
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Good job OSEM. I have just replaced my car front brake caliper (one half with the piston in situ) it is quicker and just as cheap to do this then buying all the bits and doing it your self. The car actually stops now, fed up with using my feet through the floor.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 13:28   #100
Osem
Inactive

Another zip here FGS!

My youngest has acquired the habit of ripping his coat off when he gets stressed/anxious and this has broken many a zip slider. He's just done this to a nice Regatta waterproof coat which sadly doesn't have any zip pockets so I couldn't use the slider from one of those. Then I recalled that some time ago I took all the sliders off an old multiple pocket rucksack we were getting shot of. They were so well made that I couldn't bear to chuck them at the time so removed them for a rainy day. Anyway I went through them and found they fit perfectly on his coat so if he does it again I'll be able to fix the problem and won't have to buy a new coat.

I reckon a lot of people throw away perfectly good and even loved articles of clothing, bags etc. simply due to broken zips the cause of which is the sliders. It's really easy to fit a new slider and much quicker/cheaper than having a whole new zip fitted when that isn't really necessary.
Old 08-01-2014, 13:53   #101
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Kitchen and bathroom door latches.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:12   #102
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

A colleagues scissors, got gummed up somehow, so a judicious dollop of shredder oil solved the problem.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:23   #103
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Often the sliders get worn or opened out at the tail end and the zip fails to knit properly, sometimes just a squeeze with a pair of pliers can fix it. Like you I salvage the sliders and other catches and clips. I recently fixed my nice zip up hoodie with a slider from an old sat-nav pouch.
Presumably you'll never get lost when you wear it now.
Old 17-01-2014, 20:27   #104
Osem
Inactive

Thanks to lots of help from the usual suspects here, and AN Other, I've managed to fix our househild Freeview problems without having to get up on the roof! New loft aerial installed, working fine and all that remains is to cut off my broken roof aerial which is hanging on by its coaxial cable. My trusty Gardenia telescopic loppers ought to be long enough to do the trick.
Old 17-01-2014, 21:30   #105
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
We might have to do something similar here soon as the old antenna on the eaves is falling to bits. It still gets 80% on Freeview even though the reflectors have fallen off. There's several Booster amps in the circuit though.

Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks - well if you need any technical advice you know where to come now...

I always hated the roof aerial - big and unsightly and a magnet for dirty and noisy pigeons. Won't miss it one bit, just got to cut it free. Turns out that for us, a £55 on an aerial kit and some decent cable was money very well spent.