Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 02-03-2022, 18:41   #3961
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all
Re: Britain outside the EU

Yes that article is utter bilge far more based in agenda driven politics then the reality of NATO.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2022, 19:13   #3962
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshep View Post
Yes that article is utter bilge far more based in agenda driven politics then the reality of NATO.
It may feel better trying to live in the past, but Europe has changed since the invasion of Ukraine.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That article is utter tripe - or worse. Why must the FT link UK's influence in NATO with Brexit or being EU members? So what - Germany is going to be "military-equipped"; what does that mean? And what shots would France/Germany call that the UK couldn't influence. Utter bollocks by the FT.

Andrew, I hope you don't subscribe to the words you quoted.
I think you may need to read the full article to avoid drawing erroneous conclusions.

This is my take on that aspect of the article.

When the UK left the EU, it decided to adopt an ad hoc approach to defence meetings with the EU, which is obviously weaker than a regular structure. To the delight of Russia, it was soon squabbling with France over fish and to the horror of the US, arguing with Ireland over its own Brexit agreement.

Post the Ukraine invasion, it's now obvious that the UK's defence priorities lie with Europe. The UK therefore needs some kind of regular forum with EU members. This need is more pressing given Germany's change of position increasing its prominence in NATO.

I can certainly see the benefit of such meetings. If not, there must surely be the chance of France and Germany sewing up European defence policy between them and the UK falls into the background.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 19:15   #3963
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It may feel better trying to live in the past, but Europe has changed since the invasion of Ukraine.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

I think you may need to read the full article to avoid drawing erroneous conclusions.

This is my take on that aspect of the article.

When the UK left the EU, it decided to adopt an ad hoc approach to defence meetings with the EU, which is obviously weaker than a regular structure. To the delight of Russia, it was soon squabbling with France over fish and to the horror of the US, arguing with Ireland over its own Brexit agreement.

Post the Ukraine invasion, it's now obvious that the UK's defence priorities lie with Europe. The UK therefore needs some kind of regular forum with EU members. This need is more pressing given Germany's change of position increasing its prominence in NATO.

I can certainly see the benefit of such meetings. If not, there must surely be the chance of France and Germany sewing up European defence policy between them and the UK falls into the background.
There’s not an awful lot to discuss here as long as you so casually conflate NATO and the EU. They are very different beasts. If you can unpick your thinking on these two separate institutions, or perhaps justify the way you read across from one to the other, then maybe we have a basis for a debate.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 19:23   #3964
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

What Chris said.

None of what Andrew has seen fit to post supports the notion that the UK should not have left the EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 20:32   #3965
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There’s not an awful lot to discuss here as long as you so casually conflate NATO and the EU. They are very different beasts. If you can unpick your thinking on these two separate institutions, or perhaps justify the way you read across from one to the other, then maybe we have a basis for a debate.
Don't understand where you derive the conflation of NATO and the EU from. That's one hell of a leap that would put even Greg Rutherford to shame!

The author is making the point that the UK needs to put a structure in place for its defence meetings with the EU. Seems to make sense to me.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:
What Chris said.

None of what Andrew has seen fit to post supports the notion that the UK should not have left the EU.
This thread is about Britain outside the EU and my post is about exactly that. It's not about travelling back to 2016 and rehashing old arguments.
Old 02-03-2022, 20:44   #3966
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

Andrew the difference between the EU and NATO is cavernous which you clearly don't understand.
Old 02-03-2022, 20:52   #3967
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Don't understand where you derive the conflation of NATO and the EU from. That's one hell of a leap that would put even Greg Rutherford to shame!

The author is making the point that the UK needs to put a structure in place for its defence meetings with the EU. Seems to make sense to me.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

This thread is about Britain outside the EU and my post is about exactly that. It's not about travelling back to 2016 and rehashing old arguments.
I, and no doubt others, perceive that Remainers tend to seek out articles that justify their stance.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 21:02   #3968
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I, and no doubt others, perceive that Remainers tend to seek out articles that justify their stance.
You need to join me by moving on mate.

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote:
Andrew the difference between the EU and NATO is cavernous which you clearly don't understand.
I do and I'm pretty sure the author of the article and the editor who signed off on the piece all do as well.
Old 02-03-2022, 22:25   #3969
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You need to join me by moving on mate.
Moving on isn’t exactly how I’d describe it …

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E9E27AEC-02B6-41FB-89DA-FFC2D0393828.jpeg (77.7 KB, 81 views)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 23:19   #3970
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Moving on isn’t exactly how I’d describe it …

lol.

It may go against the grain to acknowledge it, but discussing how the Ukraine invasion may impact UK-EU relations ticks the box of moving on.
Old 03-03-2022, 18:43   #3971
Blackshep
cf.addict

Andrew the EU as an organisation has little to do with the operation of NATO even though they get regular briefings and the UK role within NATO was not altered by brexit.
Old 03-03-2022, 19:03   #3972
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Andrew the EU as an organisation has little to do with the operation of NATO even though they get regular briefings and the UK role within NATO was not altered by brexit.
You may find this informative…

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_49217.htm

tl:dr - there’s a lot more co-operation than "regular briefings’…

Quote:
Enhanced consultations at all levels and practical cooperation in operations and capability development have brought concrete results. The security challenges in the two organisations' shared eastern and southern neighbourhoods make it more important than ever to reinforce the strategic partnership.
Quote:
Allied leaders welcomed the joint declaration issued in Warsaw by the NATO Secretary General, the President of the European Council and the President of the European Commission, which outlines a series of actions the two organisations intend to take together in concrete areas, including countering hybrid threats, enhancing resilience, defence capacity building, cyber defence, maritime security, and exercises.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 22:13   #3973
Blackshep
cf.addict

Hugh the EU does not have control over NATO operation's of course there's cooperation given so many EU member states are NATO member's but the EU cannot override NATO on theatre operations but NATO could overrule the EU if it ordered it's member state's to conduct operation's not in accordance with NATO strategy.
Old 03-03-2022, 22:20   #3974
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You appear to have accidentally moved the goalposts from "has little to do with the operation of NATO" to "does not have control over NATO operations"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 00:19   #3975
Blackshep
cf.addict

No you know what I mean the EU can request but cannot demand or order anything militarily and the UK's role within NATO has not been affected by brexit as somebody would like some to believe.