Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit blackout warning to channels.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Discount ends before the end of the contract!

Old 22-03-2019, 17:53   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Discount ends before the end of the contract!

Last month I negotiated a discounted deal for TV and accepted a further 12 month contract.

Each year that i've done this, the contract and offers have been for 12 months. However, after checking my bill, the discounts end in 6 months!

I'm worried that, in 6 months time, I could in theory still be in contract for a further 6 months with no discounts and no leverage. I called them today and got through to the offshore call centre, who said not to worry as new discounts can be applied in 6 months.

But why would they do this if they know I can't leave? Are they talking nonsense and is it now the norm that discounts only run for the first half of the contract?

Thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2019, 18:34   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Discount ends before the end of the contract!

It is not uncommon for some offers to be 6 month or 12 month, or even just 3 months - and may not be for the full duration.

I've had this with Sky and VM. Sky often offer 12 month discounts on an 18 month tie-in.

You just renegotiate later or change the package.

You are tied in to the service provider - not the package - so you can reduce the charges unless you are on the minimum.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 18:44   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes Ozsat is entirely right as some discounts are for six months only Richard.
Old 22-03-2019, 19:48   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Ring them up when the discount is over. Nothing lost in trying for a better deal, even if you are in contract
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 23:39   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Last month I negotiated a discounted deal for TV and accepted a further 12 month contract.

Each year that i've done this, the contract and offers have been for 12 months. However, after checking my bill, the discounts end in 6 months!

I'm worried that, in 6 months time, I could in theory still be in contract for a further 6 months with no discounts and no leverage. I called them today and got through to the offshore call centre, who said not to worry as new discounts can be applied in 6 months.

But why would they do this if they know I can't leave? Are they talking nonsense and is it now the norm that discounts only run for the first half of the contract?

Thanks.

This happens all the time. I guarantee that at some point before or soon after your 6 months end VM will put the price up and that's then your opportunity to negotiate with retentions from a position of strength as long as you ring them within the 30 day window.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 06:15   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the advice everybody, i'll check how long it's for next time and will be ringing them up in 6 months time. If it's not renewed, i'll complain to their regulator as this seems a very sly thing to do and as David has said, i'll be able to use the inevitable price rise to leave/renegotiate.
Old 23-03-2019, 06:52   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

You can't complain to the regulator Richard as companies are well within their rights to offer whatever deals they want no matter what the period and as long as you agreed with the contract which you did with the discount ending after 6 months then there is no recourse.
Old 23-03-2019, 13:04   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You can't complain to the regulator Richard as companies are well within their rights to offer whatever deals they want no matter what the period and as long as you agreed with the contract which you did with the discount ending after 6 months then there is no recourse.
I agreed to a one year contract for TV with a one year discount. Each and every time since LG took over there's either something goes wrong or some sly behaviour. Prior to this, things were relatively straightforward.

I've now got Now TV for Sky Atlantic and like some of their shows, so may try out Sky Q now that it has a new owner.
Old 23-03-2019, 14:03   #9
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I agreed to a one year contract for TV with a one year discount. Each and every time since LG took over there's either something goes wrong or some sly behaviour. Prior to this, things were relatively straightforward.

I've now got Now TV for Sky Atlantic and like some of their shows, so may try out Sky Q now that it has a new owner.
What does your contract say. It's no good ringing up later in the year if you know your contract is wrong now to what was agreed over the phone/web/store.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:46   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
What does your contract say. It's no good ringing up later in the year if you know your contract is wrong now to what was agreed over the phone/web/store.
That's a very good point.
Old 24-03-2019, 21:13   #11
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I always turn down deals that don't last the length of the contract, i ask them outright while on the phone.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 08:20   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I always turn down deals that don't last the length of the contract, i ask them outright while on the phone.
I will in future now I know that this is what they're up to.